The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Look on the website for the universities and subjects you want, and they'll say what you need. Generally, you'll have to do the higher maths one for engineering or maths if you want to go somewhere good. It's been a while since I was interested in it, but if memory serves you need general + 2 subjects or more usually?

For a masters, I'd say the SATs wouldn't matter anymore - the degree would.

What university are you considering?
Reply 2
FrancesO
Look on the website for the universities and subjects you want, and they'll say what you need. Generally, you'll have to do the higher maths one for engineering or maths if you want to go somewhere good. It's been a while since I was interested in it, but if memory serves you need general + 2 subjects or more usually?

For a masters, I'd say the SATs wouldn't matter anymore - the degree would.

What university are you considering?

Well can't really say as just started ASs but i was gonna try Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Durham not sure about final choice if i decide to do masters.
If not i'd probably have a bit of fun and apply to Harvard, or Yale, or princeton just to see what happens :rolleyes:
acm345
anyone know what exams I have to take?
I am going to take the general SATs this summer but i don't know what else i have to take. I was thinking about doing something like engineering (chemical/mechanical) or maths.

also i have asked some people but have had different answers. If I decided to do a masters in America instead would i need to do anything extra?

thanks

1) SAT Reasoning test

2) 2-3 SAT Subject Tests

Given your subject choices, I recommend you do the Subject Tests in Mathematics (Level II), Physics and Chemistry.
Reply 4
dunno i will also apply in jan to harvard and i am looking what i need ... but for now it seems only sats
Reply 5
Roundabout
1) SAT Reasoning test

2) 2-3 SAT Subject Tests

Given your subject choices, I recommend you do the Subject Tests in Mathematics (Level II), Physics and Chemistry.

Thanks do you know if i would be able to do it with A-level knowledge or would i need to teach myself a lot more?
Reply 6
acm345
Well can't really say as just started ASs but i was gonna try Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Durham not sure about final choice if i decide to do masters.
If not i'd probably have a bit of fun and apply to Harvard, or Yale, or princeton just to see what happens :rolleyes:

I meant the American ones :p:
They're pretty expensive to apply to, used to be about $70-90, so applying for fun can be costly :wink:
Reply 7
acm345
anyone know what exams I have to take?
I am going to take the general SATs this summer but i don't know what else i have to take. I was thinking about doing something like engineering (chemical/mechanical) or maths.

also i have asked some people but have had different answers. If I decided to do a masters in America instead would i need to do anything extra?

thanks

a lottery win would probably help
Reply 8
FrancesO
I meant the American ones :p:
They're pretty expensive to apply to, used to be about $70-90, so applying for fun can be costly :wink:

Hmm yeah that's a point, i get the choice between half a flat in manchester like my brothers got or american uni. Or i could do a masters and get both which is why i'm edging towards masters in america :rolleyes:
Reply 9
cambo211
a lottery win would probably help

Also, this :P:
If you apply to Yale...You do not need to take the SATs, they accept A levels. I do believe Harvard may be starting as well (but you may want to check that.) A lot of ivy league schools, may also be fairly familiar with the A level, so if you send your details it may not even be necessary. I have heard also that Americans Uni's often accept the IB...so this would have been a good path to have had taken. But never minds.

There are several SATs that American Students usually take...

If I'm right it's obligatory to take...

1. SAT Reasoning Test (Which Includes Critical Reading, Writing and Mathematics). Which are all multiple question apart from the essay and grid in maths responses. They contain: Writing, Usage and Dictions (Approx 60 Mins), Critical Reading -Critical reading and sentence-level reading and Mathematics - Number and operations; algebra and functions; geometry; statistics, probability, and data analysis.

2. You will also have to take 3 Subject SAT Exams. I would choose if I were you: Mathematics (Level 1 or 2...or both if possible), Physics and Chemistry.

But you have a choice of 20:

SAT Subject Test in Literature
SAT Subject Test in United States History
SAT Subject Test in World History
SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 1
SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2
SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M
SAT Subject Test in Chemistry
SAT Subject Test in Physics
SAT Subject Test in Chinese with Listening
SAT Subject Test in French
SAT Subject Test in French with Listening
SAT Subject Test in German
SAT Subject Test in German with Listening
SAT Subject Test in Modern Hebrew
SAT Subject Test in Italian
SAT Subject Test in Japanese with Listening
SAT Subject Test in Korean with Listening
SAT Subject Test in Latin
SAT Subject Test in Spanish Spanish
SAT Subject Test in Spanish with Listening

You would most likely be best off choosing the options you chose for a level...how ever as you can see, there is a lot less choice.

Good luck anyway.

Hope that helped.
Reply 11
acm345
Hmm yeah that's a point, i get the choice between half a flat in manchester like my brothers got or american uni. Or i could do a masters and get both which is why i'm edging towards masters in america :rolleyes:

Yeah, the masters in America is what I'd go for. I'm still considering going for a PhD there eventually. Masters is only a year aswell, so doesn't cost upwards of $400,000! (although just checked Princeton and my memory has exagerated a bit here, it's still bloody expensive)
acm345
Thanks do you know if i would be able to do it with A-level knowledge or would i need to teach myself a lot more?

I wouldn't count on being able to handle everything with A-level knowledge. However, the tests are pretty simple, so I doubt that there'd be that much difficult material to learn.

Buy the Kaplan prep books they're fairly cheap, quick&easy to read through and contain plenty of practice tests.

Physics
Maths Level 2
Chemistry
LittleMissDramaQueen
If you apply to Yale...You do not need to take the SATs, they accept A levels. I do believe Harvard may be starting as well (but you may want to check that.) A lot of ivy league schools, may also be fairly familiar with the A level, so if you send your details it may not even be necessary. I have heard also that Americans Uni's often accept the IB...so this would have been a good path to have had taken. But never minds.

I'm sorry, but this isn't true.

Yale College Admissions
Application requirements for all students include the following standardized tests. There are two options and we have no preference between these options. You may choose between taking either:

Option 1: The SAT Reasoning Test (SAT I) and any combination of two Subject Tests
OR
Option 2: The ACT with writing.
There are two exceptions:

1. Students whose home countries (e.g., mainland China) do not have an SAT or ACT testing center are exempt from these testing requirements, but must take either the TOEFL or IELTS instead.

2. Students enrolled in A-level programs may use completed A-level results as a substitute for the SAT II Subject Tests on a one-for-one basis provided official test results arrive at Yale by February of 2010. Eligible students must still take either the SAT Reasoning Test or the ACT. Predicted A-level results may not be used as substitutions for the SAT II Subject Tests.

No other substitutions are acceptable.
Reply 14
Roundabout
I'm sorry, but this isn't true.

Do you know if I would need to do anything if i decided to apply with a degree or would they still want me to have SATs?
acm345
Do you know if I would need to do anything if i decided to apply with a degree or would they still want me to have SATs?

You mean that you'd apply after doing an undergrad in the UK? I have no idea how that works...
Reply 16
Roundabout
You mean that you'd apply after doing an undergrad in the UK? I have no idea how that works...

Yeah i would do undergrad in Uk, because some teachers have said i should take the SATs this year anyway and some say i wouldn't have if i was only doing a masters in america
acm345
Yeah i would do undergrad in Uk, because some teachers have said i should take the SATs this year anyway and some say i wouldn't have if i was only doing a masters in america

Oh I thought you meant that you'd apply for a second undergrad in the US. :p:

Anyways, I seriously doubt that you'd need the SATs when applying for a master's in the US. :smile:
Reply 18
LittleMissDramaQueen
If you apply to Yale...You do not need to take the SATs, they accept A levels. I do believe Harvard may be starting as well (but you may want to check that.)

No Yale accepts completed A-Levels as replacements for the SAT 2s.
You have to be done with them completely by around January.

Latest

Trending

Trending