The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I got my first Psychology essay back today. Happy with the result considering I'm not continuing Psychology studies after the access course. I got a merit. :smile:
Hi!
Some great results, although Im surprised at how some of you are only just getting the first result back. How many assignments have you done so far?

Ive done 8 assignments (and Im only part time!), and recieved 4 back - one pass and 3 distinctions.
Im waiting eagerly for my other 4 back, im hoping its gonna be two merits and two distinctions.
jeffercake
Hi!
Some great results, although Im surprised at how some of you are only just getting the first result back. How many assignments have you done so far?

Ive done 8 assignments (and Im only part time!), and recieved 4 back - one pass and 3 distinctions.
Im waiting eagerly for my other 4 back, im hoping its gonna be two merits and two distinctions.

i will have done 4 assignments by the end of this semster 2 for media 1 for business studies and 1 for IT then i have 3 exams in january which i have to pass to get the credits earned with the assignments

next semster i have 2 media 1 business 1 IT plus a 3000 word long study assignment to do and 3 more exams to pass to get the credits
rlharcourt
Madam actually! No. Was too interested in everything else but education. It's only since having children of my own I have realised how important it is. I don't want to be stuck on income support all my life, in and out of minimum waged jobs. I need to be a good role model for my kids.

congrats an admirable set of goals,good luck and hope the kids appreciate what your doing.
Reply 44
I have got three essays back and I got two merits and one distinction.

In our college, if people fail the assignment or don't hand anything in, they are allowed to do it again but don't get anything higher than a pass.
Ive got another two distinctions :biggrin: Very proud of myself, i really am. never thought id do so well so quickly.

Anyway, I have an oral presentation on Old People in Modern Society (joy!) to do on Tuesday, not really looking forward to it, but I hope it goes well.
Reply 46
I'm amazed at all the distinctions everyone is getting!
They're so tight with them at my college, in several assignments nobody got higher than a merit, it seems to be only one or two distinctions at the most handed out in each round of assignments - out of 2 classes totally over 50 students.

We're not thick, honest :p: there are some very smart people in some of my classes, it doesn't seem fair!
I suppose the colleges are all trying to figure out how to grade, since the merit/distinction system has only just been introduced. When everything is externally moderated at the end of the year I'm hoping there will be some grade adjustments made. I've just lost out on a distinction in Biology by putting "too much" information in an exam question, which I'm not happy about. It was correct, but not relevant to the question (apparently - I'm disputing it) :frown:
Summer241
I'm amazed at all the distinctions everyone is getting!
They're so tight with them at my college, in several assignments nobody got higher than a merit, it seems to be only one or two distinctions at the most handed out in each round of assignments - out of 2 classes totally over 50 students.

Same at my college. Don't worry though because those 'lenient' colleges still have to go through the external moderator. So either our grades will go up or theirs will go down :p:
ndkathleen
Same at my college. Don't worry though because those 'lenient' colleges still have to go through the external moderator. So either our grades will go up or theirs will go down :p:

Well it all depends on what we deserve really. I sincerely believe that my work is worthy of distinctions, and I dont think im in one of these 'lenient colleges' because not many people get distinctions at all in my classes. Slightly annoying IF people think that others are only getting distinctions because the college/tutor is being lenient. Its mainly through hard work - at least in my case.

Hopefully, in the end, we will all get what we want! :yep: :biggrin:
ndkathleen

I have worked damn hard to get 3 dinstinctions, 2 merits and I'm in the minority, our tutors told us "all access work will be externally moderated, but never have they disagreed with their marking."
I can't believe Im looking at this post in the mature students forum!
rlharcourt
I have worked damn hard to get 3 dinstinctions, 2 merits and I'm in the minority, our tutors told us "all access work will be externally moderated, but never have they disagreed with their marking."
I can't believe Im looking at this post in the mature students forum!

I don't think I mentioned you or how hard you may have worked.
It seems you do not understand the purpose of an external moderator. I was merely describing a scenario.
"all access work will be externally moderated, but never have they disagreed with their marking."

It seems you also have shown your ignorance with your quote. The Access course has changed and we are the first year to have 'merit and distinction' system. Of course they have never disagreed since they used to only issue a level 2 or level 3. The marking system has changed, thus stressing the importance of an external moderator.

You have now lost all credibility. :smile:
ndkathleen
I don't think I mentioned you or how hard you may have worked.
It seems you do not understand the purpose of an external moderator. I was merely describing a scenario.

Not at all, you were simply saying, those who have had distinctions must be in a lenient college.
It seems you also have shown your ignorance with your quote. The Access course has changed and we are the first year to have 'merit and distinction' system. Of course they have never disagreed since they used to only issue a level 2 or level 3. The marking system has changed, thus stressing the importance of an external moderator.

It was piloted in our college along with a few others last year, to make sure that they had made the right decision on the grading system.

Did you not get feed back on why you course work has been graded for only a pass or merit? There is also the grading criteria sheet which is given when the coursework is first given out to all students.

You have now lost all credibility. :smile:

I don't want to be bitchy and nasty.
ndkathleen
I was merely describing a scenario.

No, you were trying to justify why others had better grades than you. Im sure the grades are fair. Surely you should have known that some of us would take offence? It was a low shot!

Like someone else said, look at the grading criteria sheet - it will tell you where you went wrong, and what criteria you need to meet to gain a distinction.

Lets all be friends - we arent children! Lol x
Reply 53
jeffercake
Well it all depends on what we deserve really. I sincerely believe that my work is worthy of distinctions, and I dont think im in one of these 'lenient colleges' because not many people get distinctions at all in my classes. Slightly annoying IF people think that others are only getting distinctions because the college/tutor is being lenient. Its mainly through hard work - at least in my case.

Hopefully, in the end, we will all get what we want! :yep: :biggrin:

I wasn't insinuating that I thought other colleges were more lenient than mine, I hope my post didn't come across that way.

From what I've been told - at my college, with each assignment the tutors pool together all the essays/exams and pick the top one/two papers to have distinctions. If they think that nobody has excelled above and beyond the norm, then no one gets a distinction.
I initially thought all you had to do was meet the specified criteria to get a distinction, not to be the best in your class.
- hence my hoping that our grades will be adjusted when the external moderator comes in to have a look, because the system at my college isn't fair (in my opinion).

I expect a few colleges are getting it wrong too, as pointed out in an earlier post, the marking system has been changed this year so none of the tutors have marked using the Access merit/distinction system before.
Summer241
I wasn't insinuating that I thought other colleges were more lenient than mine, I hope my post didn't come across that way.

From what I've been told - at my college, with each assignment the tutors pool together all the essays/exams and pick the top one/two papers to have distinctions. If they think that nobody has excelled above and beyond the norm, then no one gets a distinction.
I initially thought all you had to do was meet the specified criteria to get a distinction, not to be the best in your class.
- hence my hoping that our grades will be adjusted when the external moderator comes in to have a look, because the system at my college isn't fair (in my opinion).

I expect a few colleges are getting it wrong too, as pointed out in an earlier post, the marking system has been changed this year so none of the tutors have marked using the Access merit/distinction system before.

No, it wasnt your post :smile:

The system at your college sounds very silly. You should just have to meet the criteria, surely? I hope you get what you want when it gets externally moderated. (And I hope my grade stays the same hehe) x
Reply 55
jeffercake
No, it wasnt your post :smile:

The system at your college sounds very silly. You should just have to meet the criteria, surely? I hope you get what you want when it gets externally moderated. (And I hope my grade stays the same hehe) x

Me too, we'll all be happy then!

It does sound silly. I think they've taken the "disinctions must be rare" thing to the extreme in ensuring they stay rare!
Reply 56
I am doing a computer and maths access course and we have done 2 exams and 2 assignments so far.

Matrices - Distinction 6 Credits
Algebra - Merit 6 Credits

Preperation to HE - Distinction 3 credits
Introdution to program implementation - Distinction 3 credits

The best news is i now have 18 credits at level 3 :woo:
Reply 57

Access to teaching (Humanities)
Level 2 Maths: part 1 100% in exam!!!!!!!!! part 2 94%,
Level 2 Science. nothing yet!!
Study skills. All passed.
Level 3 Human Biology: 2 Distinctions
Level 3 History: 2 passes, 2 Merits, got first distinction the other week, on a near perfect essay!!!!!!!!!

Sooooo pleased with myself.
i got two assignments back from Media both were passes handed in business studies one which will get back in the new year and hand in my IT one in new year as well then exams 2nd week back arrrggghh lol
Reply 59
Hey Guys, Im thinking about enrolling to do a Access course, how are you all finding it? What is the workload like?
Is there anyone here doing one at Derby Uni??
Im hoping to eventually get to Uni to study dental hygiene/theapy and from looking on derbys website access courses are Maths, Study skills and English are studied at level 2 and gsce equivalent, then choose 3 subjects to study at a higher level.
Does this mean level 3?
Im hoping to do Biology,Psychology and Health studies.

I have a appointment to go see a tutor for some advice early feb, but be nice to have abit of prior knowledge on how those of you doing one of these courses find it. Im 28 by the way and have been out of education for about 12 years!

Latest

Trending

Trending