The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Calvin
My belief that the sun will rise tomorrow- no decent argument to the problem of induction as far as I can see. At least, it's a problem I don't personally have an answer to yet, on most other problems I've come across I've developed a stance on it, this one still has me stumped. :confused:

Hehe yeah, that's a good one.

I suppose a similar one would be that the world is really how it is represented? :hmmmm2:
Reply 41
Adhsur
Hehe yeah, that's a good one.

I suppose a similar one would be that the world is really how it is represented? :hmmmm2:

Actually i've been ok with that one, I find idealism quite a natural belief. I think it's like saying a word over and over again, what at first sounds normal and meaningful eventually starts sounding like just a weird noise. After thinking about this idea of a 'real world' which presumably is nothing like the representation- after all, the representations don't create representations so the real world must be made of a different type of thing- its just such a weird idea that it seems more common sense to me to ditch it. -the fact that it saves me all kinds of problems in epistemology is just an added benefit :biggrin:

But that's a good example, it hasn't effected my life at all. Similarly with induction, I don't worry about the sun not rising tomorrow because I can't prove it, rather I worry about proving it happy in the belief that it will happen. So I don't get depressed about it really.

Right, off on holiday for a week. Will 'see' you all when I get back.
Reply 42
candystrippa
any of you get seriously bothered and frustrated by philosophical problems, and start acting "abnormal" because of it?

that's me.

I dont think it is something that should control your everyday live because what ever your view on where we exsist or does anything around actually exsist or isit in our mind, we still have to live in the world we find ourselfs in. But it is nice to talk and consider the ideas that are often talked about in this forum to prevent us from being deef about the possibilities of what we see around us and stop us from being as ignorant and narrow-minded as most of the droids that we see walking around.
I think my signature by the fantastic scholar that is, Bertrand Russell, sums up philosophy.

Latest

Trending

Trending