The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

BA Law and Sociology...

Hey. I'm a Law Applicant, but I don't think I will meet the offer of AAA for LLB Law at Warwick as my grades aren't good enough. However, they are good enough for, say, BA Law and Sociology which ask for ABB plus a C in a further AS which I have...

Question: Is a BA in Law even that good? I want to be a Barrister you see, and I'm not sure if a BA in Law is.. well.. the right one? I know LLB is but I know very little about the BA.

Will the BA allow me to leave Uni and train to be a Barrister or will I be required to have an LLB? Will Law firms reject me for jobs/training because I don't have an LLB (despite Warwick being a top 10 uni ffs!)

Thanks.:o:
Reply 1
Well apparently to what i have heared a BA in Law is just not recognised as much as the LLB, Why dont you take a conversion course, for instance study sociolgoy for 3 years then head off for an extra year to law? Or a conversion course connected to Law that way you would have some sort of background knowledge. There are other uni's out there that ask for lower entry requirements than the usual AAA/AAB for Law and still do the LLB, look that up, or if you really are committed to doing LLB at a top uni? stay an extra year get those B's to an A pick up another as and jus try as hard as possible, that way your gauranteed a good job for the future.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
blindedbythelights
Hey. I'm a Law Applicant, but I don't think I will meet the offer of AAA for LLB Law at Warwick as my grades aren't good enough. However, they are good enough for, say, BA Law and Sociology which ask for ABB plus a C in a further AS which I have...

Question: Is a BA in Law even that good? I want to be a Barrister you see, and I'm not sure if a BA in Law is.. well.. the right one? I know LLB is but I know very little about the BA.

Will the BA allow me to leave Uni and train to be a Barrister or will I be required to have an LLB? Will Law firms reject me for jobs/training because I don't have an LLB (despite Warwick being a top 10 uni ffs!)

Hello! I'm in exactly the same boat. I've applied to study the Law and Sociology BA degree at Warwick because I don't think I'd stand a chance applying for LLB.

The University website states, 'Students seeking exemption from legal professional examinations (Qualifying Law Degree) must choose the appropriate law modules in years 2, 3 and 4 in addition to the core modules'.
blindedbythelights

A BA is not typically a qualifying Law degree. A qualifying Law degree usually has to be an LLB. This means you'll have to do a GDL (conversion) before you can enroll on an BPTC course to train to become a Barrister. :yep:

It's certainly easier to follow a course which awards an LLB (saves time and money in the long run). I think also, that LLB holders tend to be preferred candidates when competing for Pupillage places. It's because they would have had to complete a scheme of study that matches with requirements to gain a QLD - and their legal knowledge from three years of study will be much stronger than those who have simply converted.
Reply 4
for those of you who do not know for sure what they are saying, why do you even bother to reply?

an LLB is a qualifying degree but the specific BA of Law and Sociology is a qualifying degree as well; the same goes for the BA Law and Business degree. Oxbridge's law degree is a BA as well, it does not make any difference. I don't see people popping up saying that Oxbrdige candidates cannot train as barristers?!

so yes, you can train as a barrister or a solicitor like any other person when you finish your degree. remember that nearly half of the applicants in law firms do not even have a law degree, so yes you have the same chances like anyone else.

also, about the modules, the structure of the degree has changed so it is compulsory to take the main law modules each year. they just haven't stated that in the web page for some reason. so you will have a qualifying degree at the end of your course. hope ive answered all of your questions.
Reply 5
Hello!

I know its been quiet a while since anyone has responded to this thread, however I have applied for, and got an offer, from the University of Warwick for the BA law and sociology course, and was wondering if you went for that course in the end?

If you have, any positives/negatives that you have experianced?
Your help would be great thanks (:

Quick Reply

Latest