The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm now facing a massive dilemma as to which to put down as my first choice: Dalton Ellis or Hulme Hall.

I guess its now down to which of them offer bigger rooms and have cleaner toilets/showers.

Anyone can share on these points please. Thanks in advance!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 61
Davidosh
What was the no for thats what I said

Ah sorry!! Quoted the wrong part. Well, I wasn't really sure what your point was - so I quoted you.

I thought you were also asking the same as i_mazhir!
Reply 62
i_mazhir
do you have to firm manchester before you book the accomodation?

No, you don't. You should still apply for accommodation even if you only hold a conditional offer or it's your insurance. You can always say no :smile:
whats the name of the big tower block in the middle of the fallowfield campus? and am i right in thinking its one of the best halls there.. its the impression i got from students when i visited there.
Reply 64
Krishna442
whats the name of the big tower block in the middle of the fallowfield campus? and am i right in thinking its one of the best halls there.. its the impression i got from students when i visited there.

It's part of Owens Park I don't think you can apply specifically to 'The Tower'
Reply 65
I'm really particular about hygiene so can anyone recommend halls with clean rooms (en suite). I read on another thread that there are actually halls with RATS??????

I really don't care where it's located (ok fine, if given a choice, I would prefer the city halls) as long as it is CLEAN. Lol.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 66
Krishna442

The Tower in OP. Have you been there? They're truly disgusting. OP is a ******** in general. Great fun though :wink:
Reply 67
Don't be fooled into thinking halls are quiet if they look pretty and green during the day :p:
Rusholme is just as rough as any other area. If you know how to stay safe then you'll be safe. These halls aren't actually in Rusholme, they are in Victoria Park, if that helps at all.
Reply 68
Hi

I'm starting UG Law in September...

I'm looking for the whole 'student experience' - lively halls, great social scene, regular functions, loads of undergrads... i'm very work hard play hard and am keen to meet people, go out etc. I'm not too worried about noise in the daytime - i figure that's what the library's for?

So my first choice is Fallowfield, though i wouldn't mind being in one of the bigger halls in the city... Don't want to be put in Victoria Park though.

Which halls would you recommend??

I'd ideally have self-catered en-suite. I'd happily go catered if its more social & edible, but i'd rather not share one loo with 10-12 people.

I like the sound of richmond park - is it quite social??

Also, which of the halls are flats and which are halls? ive heard that you meet more people in halls?...

I need 2 other options... any ideas?

Also, i hear that oak house has really tiny crap rooms? And that the food at owen's park isn't really that good either...?

Cheers x
Reply 69
anix
Hi

I'm starting UG Law in September...

I'm looking for the whole 'student experience' - lively halls, great social scene, regular functions, loads of undergrads... i'm very work hard play hard and am keen to meet people, go out etc. I'm not too worried about noise in the daytime - i figure that's what the library's for?

So my first choice is Fallowfield, though i wouldn't mind being in one of the bigger halls in the city... Don't want to be put in Victoria Park though.

Which halls would you recommend??

I'd ideally have self-catered en-suite. I'd happily go catered if its more social & edible, but i'd rather not share one loo with 10-12 people.

I like the sound of richmond park - is it quite social??

Also, which of the halls are flats and which are halls? ive heard that you meet more people in halls?...

I need 2 other options... any ideas?

Also, i hear that oak house has really tiny crap rooms? And that the food at owen's park isn't really that good either...?

Cheers x

If you're wanting good social life avoid the city halls and to be honest all the rooms are relatviely small but it doesn't matter because you dont tend to spend alot of time in there anyhoo. The person to bathroom ration is 4:1 max i think so don't worry about that.
Are the bathrooms at Dalton Ellis and Hulme Hall up to standard in terms of cleanliness, and whats the bathroom to person ratio there?
it wud be great if someone from either woolton or allen cud tell me what their hall/room/the overall atmosphere is like! (cud also be someone who actually made it to the open day! :p: )

I didnt get to see any of the halls and am finding it quite hard to decide where i wanna live...:eek3:
Reply 72
If you stay at Dalton Ellis and have to catch an Oxford Rd campus lecture at say 9am, what time would you have to leave the hall to be in time for it if you plan on taking the bus.

Also, what time would you have to leave if you stayed at Fallowfield.

Thanks!
Hey,
I have firmed Manchester for my PG course in comp science.
I have shorlisted
1.)Weston Hall
2.)Whitworth Park
3.)Grosvenor group of halls
4.)Ladybarn house(though its very costly)
5.)George Kenyon(Costly again)
I dont want to go in a very noisy hall...but not very anti social either or i will be bored to death.
an i m an international student I cant come to the open house to actually view all these accomodations,so will go by your word of mouth :smile:
Reply 74
Hey,

Just some questions relating to Ashburne Hall, which I plan to put down as one of my choices, appreciate if someone can help answer them:

1) How long, by bus, would it take you to get to the Uni?

2) How many people are the showers and toilets shared between, Are they mixed sex? Clean?

3) Are there many green open spaces around?

Thanks!!:smile:
Reply 75
ilovetsr123
Hey,

Just some questions relating to Ashburne Hall, which I plan to put down as one of my choices, appreciate if someone can help answer them:

1) How long, by bus, would it take you to get to the Uni?

2) How many people are the showers and toilets shared between, Are they mixed sex? Clean?

3) Are there many green open spaces around?

Thanks!!:smile:

Hi,
I will be in Ashburne next year (I'll be going into my final year). :smile:
The bus from Fallowfield takes between 15-20mins to get to the uni.
I'm not sure how many people to a bathroom, but I'm pretty sure that they are all single sex.
And yes, lots of greenness around. Ashburne has lovely grounds which are great in the summer.

Hope that helps!
Reply 76
pimpom
Hi,
I will be in Ashburne next year (I'll be going into my final year). :smile:
The bus from Fallowfield takes between 15-20mins to get to the uni.
I'm not sure how many people to a bathroom, but I'm pretty sure that they are all single sex.
And yes, lots of greenness around. Ashburne has lovely grounds which are great in the summer.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, but sorry, a few more questions about Ashburne if u don't mind..

1) How long a walk to the bus stop? Cos I'm really fussed-up about convenience..

2) Are the rooms and their furniture old and run-down?

3) Are there many international students?

4) Are the majority of facilities (eg. common room), room fittings and furniture girly themed? Cos I've seen pictures and theres a lot of pink!:o:

Thanks again!:p:
Reply 77
ilovetsr123
Thanks, but sorry, a few more questions about Ashburne if u don't mind..

1) How long a walk to the bus stop? Cos I'm really fussed-up about convenience..

2) Are the rooms and their furniture old and run-down?

3) Are there many international students?

4) Are the majority of facilities (eg. common room), room fittings and furniture girly themed? Cos I've seen pictures and theres a lot of pink!:o:

Thanks again!:p:

No probs!

The walk to the bus stop is literally 2 minutes, it's so close!

I can't really answer the rest of your questions as I haven't actually lived in Ashburne yet! Although, I think the rooms were recently refurbished and the furniture is all fine and working.

I'm afraid I don't know about international students/colour schemes!!
x
Reply 78
PoisonDonna

Hi, was wondering if u know how long it takes to get to the business school from fallowfields?
Reply 79
Installation
Fallowfield is great, though in 2nd/3rd year I'd rather be in those private halls along Wilmslow Road (above Varsity) just 'cos it's close to uni/other stuff and not too far from Fallowfield anyway :P. Fallowfield comes a close 2nd to this location though.

DO u know how long it takes to get from fallowfields to business school by bus? (rush hour?)

Latest

Trending

Trending