The Student Room Group

Fine Art or Game Art Design @ DMU

Hey. As my username suggests; i'm interested in damn near everything - which is both interesting and frustrating.

But, one thing i'm definitely interested in is art and games.

I'm torn between Fine Art and Game Art Design courses at DMU - I like how Fine Art has a lot of different things involved (e.g. sculpting, photography, video). But I love games and would like to be involved in the design of environments etc. and the game art course would be more specific to what I want to do after uni (i'm not particularly interested in the programming side to games though, but there is some interest there of course)

So i'm really not sure what to do, and I thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback from other people.

Are you on either of these courses?
Is one better than the other - i.e I read somewhere that game companies prefer traditional degrees to specific game ones?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
Hi jack! You would be surprised if I told you that I'm almost 90% interested in the same things you listed here; I'm from Morocco and I want to aplly to either a foundation or Bachelor Degree in Game Design, but I'm also interested in arts. I think that it would be a great deal to study Fine Art, but since it is a bit old, it is better to apply for something related to games, and then maybe going onto some special or short course about Fine Art; basic knowledge or trainig skills.
Well I'm doing Game Art a DMU this year and on the actually prospectus you can further develop skills and knowledge after the degree is finished, thats what I am thinking about doing.

I've seen that you can go for the postgraduate course of doing Game Design which I am considering doing. Don't know if this is any help at all but there are a lot of jobs you ca do with a Game Art degree and the course isn't just digital stuff there is a traditional as well which makes it fun tbh. :smile:

Latest