The Student Room Group

Why don't people spell or use grammar properly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Kolya
what is the point of using capital letters at the beginning of sentences? i can't see a good reason for doing so.

We could also start omitting full stops from our sentences and only use capital letters to indicate the start of a new one Itd have the same effect The two of them used together however make reading long bodies of text easier In short texts not using full stops doesnt really matter but once you start to get into longer texts like my post here the lack of proper grammar will start to hinder your reading speed To indicate proper names we could just place a full stop before each of them instead of capitalising the first letter We could actually forget about all forms of punctuation With enough effort put into reading youd be able to figure out the meaning without punctuation Basically I just blabbed on here to show a point The current way that were used to is probably better
somethingbeautiful
Says the person who used two question marks on one sentence in the thread title. :awesome:

LYYYNCHHHMOOOOOB!!!! :awesome:
....because you touch yourself at night.
you dont get a grade in 'TSR thread writting'. it is rude to correct peoples gramma and spelling under none academic situations. and not everyone gets A in english coz they have better things to do with thei time.
Reply 104
near_comatose
Is it really for really?

:lol:
Reply 105
OP you fail.
lol..

OP, get on with your own life. People would be more content if they realise not everybody will, or even cares about, how you think or what you think is normal and proper.

Ok, so some people are lazy spellers. So what? They either are lazy and can spell, or cannot.

I guess it's human nature to some degree, but it's still a major human flaw we have as a species. You cannot make rules for others, not expect others to adhere to what you think should be.
Kevmeister
....because you touch yourself at night.

Best response I've seen on the whole thread.
Well done, sir.
near_comatose
A little hypocrisy in that post?

I'm not complaining about anything. I have the odd lingering wonder why people have nothing better to do than pick each other up on their grammar.

Of course official documents need to be filled out officially, but if the point is being communicated, then who cares?
rockrunride
I'm not complaining about anything. I have the odd lingering wonder why people have nothing better to do than pick each other up on their grammar.
Of course official documents need to be filled out officially, but if the point is being communicated, then who cares?

because they think that getting AAAAAA at A level makes them king of all english speaking site in the interweb. and they secretly hope that they will gain another A if the spell correctly on TRS.
miss_p

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings? .

They do it because they are uneducated and unintelligent.
Reply 111
I must be in a minority, I don't mind being corrected if I make a mistake with my spelling or grammar. I'm a perfectionist, it's the only way I'll learn. :biggrin:
flugestuge
They do it because they are uneducated and unintelligent.

nope we jus hv betta thins two do wit our time then wory bout wat u think.

serously, you do not get graded a TRS so stop worrying. your teacher wont find out if you get something wrong on here. its ok.
when i initially read the title i thought what a prick
but having read your argument, i do indeed see where you're coming from and um
yes
it is very annoying,
annoyingly
I love how people typing in this thread are now watching their spelling and grammar so closely now! Getting flamed hurts... :smile:
rockrunride

Well it maybe angers people that most people don't actually care if they can spell or use correct grammar today. I'm sure you would think it ridiculous if you met someone who couldn't multiply, and usually when people type like an invalid on the internet, they can't spell properly in real life.

I doubt anyone goes searching for unsuspecting grammar-offenders on the internet in the hopes of correcting them, it's probably just in passing. One could ask whether you have nothing better do to than make posts telling people to stop worrying about grammar and spelling (when it probably represents a bigger problem in today's youth and education system).

Sounds silly to ask that, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
near_comatose

I doubt anyone goes searching for unsuspecting grammar-offenders on the internet in the hopes of correcting them, it's probably just in passing. One could ask whether you have nothing better do to than make posts telling people to stop worrying about grammar and spelling (when it probably represents a bigger problem in today's youth and education system).

Sounds silly to ask that, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I think societal pedantry represents a bigger problem than bad grammar.
rockrunride
I think societal pedantry represents a bigger problem than bad grammar.

It's not pedantic, and you're obviously warped if you think pointing out spelling errors on the internet is a bigger problem than children's inability to use their own language properly, which to be honest is part of the basis of a sound education.
near_comatose
It's not pedantic, and you're obviously warped if you think pointing out spelling errors on the internet is a bigger problem than children's inability to use their own language properly, which to be honest is part of the basis of a sound education.

This has mutated into something strange. You're saying that because I'm disheartened when people whine at each other for the pettiest of things, that I don't care about children's education? Of course I care. As long as people can communicate themselves properly, which they demonstrate by getting the point across.

Having a go at someone on a silly internet forum about the misplacement of a few letters, and saying that they were badly educated because of this is pedantic.
rockrunride
This has mutated into something strange. You're saying that because I'm disheartened when people whine at each other for the pettiest of things, that I don't care about children's education? Of course I care. As long as people can communicate themselves properly, which they demonstrate by getting the point across.

Having a go at someone on a silly internet forum about the misplacement of a few letters, and saying that they were badly educated because of this is pedantic.

Hah, it has mutated into something strange because you picked up on the menial points in the majority of my replies to you, ignoring the main point of the post and if you read the posts, you would realise that that's not at all what I was saying. I meant it might represent something deeper in the roots of society (in my opinion), and didn't mention anything about the personal education of anyone who does something like that.

Anyway! Agree to disagree and all that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending