The Student Room Group

Getting Kicked out of university

After starting manchester university in september i have managed to get myself into a serious dilemma.
Very soon after starting university, i became very unhappy with my course. I found it hard to get any sort of motivation and i was really not enjoying my course whatsoever. Ive tried sticking it out, hoping things would get better but they havn't, and because of my tendancy to bury my head in the sand and not to tackle things face on, iv'e found myself missing lots of lectures and tutorials, causing me to fall severely behind on my course. Things have got that bad i really think i may get kicked out after christmas.
The thing is I really want to stay at manchester but to just change course. However i do realise that i probly will not be able to switch courses halfway through the year, and even if i could what would happen if i got removed from my current course? would i be able to change my course and return in september to start again on a new course?
If you drop out you would have to reapply through ucas.
A Ugandan Peanut
After starting manchester university in september i have managed to get myself into a serious dilemma.
Very soon after starting university, i became very unhappy with my course. I found it hard to get any sort of motivation and i was really not enjoying my course whatsoever. Ive tried sticking it out, hoping things would get better but they havn't, and because of my tendancy to bury my head in the sand and not to tackle things face on, iv'e found myself missing lots of lectures and tutorials, causing me to fall severely behind on my course. Things have got that bad i really think i may get kicked out after christmas.
The thing is I really want to stay at manchester but to just change course. However i do realise that i probly will not be able to switch courses halfway through the year, and even if i could what would happen if i got removed from my current course? would i be able to change my course and return in september to start again on a new course?

Firstly, sorry you aren't happy with your course. Don't worry, though, many people find this is the case and it all depends on how you choose to deal with it.

As you say, it may be difficult to change courses halfway through the year, I know at most Uni's there's a month or so trial period for your course/modules, a sort of test-window, during which you can decide if it's for you. Obviously, it's a little late for this option so you may need to consider seriously talking this over with tutors/friends/family.

You could either:

1) Defer for a year/take a year out. This would be dealt with by the Uni and UCAS.
2) Talk to the University and get incredibly lucky and change course.
3) Carry on with the course, it may get better if you find some motivation and passion for the subject.
4) Leave Manchester Uni and reapply for another Uni next year.

If you knuckle down now, you may still be in with a shot of passing the year but I understand if you really aren't happy, you want to change asap. EDIT: You would also need to think of your student finances, if you get loans, because changes in circumstance can affect this and if you defer/drop out, you need to contact them.

I hope these suggestions help and you manage to sort it out!
Talk to someone.

Seriously.

Be pro-active. Talk to your department/supervisor/tutor. Tell them why you don't like your course, tell them you want to switch. If you just ignore the problem (as far as they are concerned) and then say you want to do something else after you've been kicked out, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Does your students' union have an academic or welfare officer? Talk to them as well.

My boyfriend was kicked out of Southampton twice for the same reasons you might be. Don't make the mistakes he made and avoid the issue.
From what I've seen it takes a few warnings before you're kicked out of Manchester. They'll send you concerned emails about multiple unexplained absences first and your personal development tutor or the like may arrange a meeting to discuss your problems. They won't just throw you out without warning because they understand that university can be a massive jump and very stressful for some people...I was the same with my first degree attempt in 2007. I found the best solution was to drop out and take a couple of years out working and getting my head together. I'd suggest taking the Christmas Holidays to mull everything over, talk to your friends and family, and when you go back talk to your lecturers/peer mentors if you haven't made your decision by then. There's lots of support available out there. Good luck.
Reply 5
Abhead
If you drop out you would have to reapply through ucas.

There's no imperative to apply through ucas if you make other arrangements.
A Ugandan Peanut

I know of someone who got kicked off the Italian degree course at Manchester, next year they let him back to start again.
Reply 7
I have just had to pull out for the first semester due to personal reasons but i am going back after Xmas for the second semester. Tutor said it was ok. I was told i could catch up again in September with modules i have missed . Anybody had experience of doing things a bit back to front?
Reply 8
what course you doing at manchester? it's not that easy to get kicked out. i had less than 30% attendance in 2nd semester of 1st year and all i got was a concerned email. if you can pass the exams its fine.
The reason why im so sure ill get kicked off is because throughout the term there has been regular tests and coursework in all the modules, and i have missed quite a few of the tests, and in some modules missed pratically all the tests and assignments. It's soo stupid from me i know, but iv'e been so unhappy with the course, and more recently ive been so adament that i wanted to leave it.
They have also sent me a few concerned emails and I just blagged it to them that I will go to all lectures an tutorials and work extra hard etc.. More recently though I have missed a lot of work and havn't heard anything from them so i think like after christmas they will probably kick me out.
Im going to contact them today and just tell them straight and tell them i want to leave the course.
The thing is i want to stay at manchester, but just on another course which i have in mind. I don't actually mind starting again in september, but what would happen? would they just accept a place for me now and just defer it until september or would i have to fully leave the university and apply again through UCAS??
A Ugandan Peanut

The thing is i want to stay at manchester, but just on another course which i have in mind. I don't actually mind starting again in september, but what would happen? would they just accept a place for me now and just defer it until september or would i have to fully leave the university and apply again through UCAS??

A guy I live with originally applied to do theology, but didnt like it so talked to some tutors about changing to education studies after christmas. They said they couldn't do it for after christmas, but he was welcome to drop out of that course and start the new one in september, and he didn't have to reapply, it was just approved by the heads of each department (the one he was leaving and the one he was joining).

Myabe that's the same at Manchester? The best people to talk to are your tutors, so I'd do it asap if I were you. Good luck! x
You really need to talk to someone at the uni. You are much more likely to be accepted by a different department if you ask to leave your current course, rather than being kicked off it.
Original post by Deborah Bwanga
Can they let you start a different course when you been kicked out of your previous course?

This was seven years ago.

They would have discretion as to whether to let you switch courses based on your appeal or claim for miigating circumstances about why you had performed poorly in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending