The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would have thought it would mostly be based on your AS grades, but I guess they'll also take into account factors like how hard you work and how well you've done over the course of the year.
Reply 2
No, it's mostly decided by your AS predicted grades, and how teachers think you can do, AS actual results only modify this if you do significantly differently from how your teachers predict. Also if your teachers predict you A/B, then the school will predict you an A, or out of B/C, a B etc. Well this is certainly how it works at my school.
Just looking at AS results wouldn't take into account the capacity for resits and the fact the exam may just have been on an off-day or had a Q you weren't prepared for.
Saffie
No, it's mostly decided by your AS predicted grades

That could be difficult at my school considering we were never given any :rofl:
Reply 4
kellywood_5

same here
Reply 5
kellywood_5

I'm sure they made some, at least for your report or something?
We had them on 3 progress checks throughout the year and our reports, then another at the end of the year.
They might not want to tell you because it'll stress you out or make you complacent :p:
Reply 6
it varies greatly from school to school. As long as you work hard throughout the year and get AS results that are at least close to what teachers expected, you should be fine.
Saffie
I'm sure they made some, at least for your report or something?
We had them on 3 progress checks throughout the year and our reports, then another at the end of the year.
They might not want to tell you because it'll stress you out or make you complacent :p:

Well, we had target grades, which are completely useless, just like they were at GCSE. Mine are ABBB, ironically with the A in English, which I consider my worst subject, not my best!
Reply 8
They would have made some because they need to be submitted to the exam boards
sokas
They would have made some because they need to be submitted to the exam boards

Oh....they just didn't tell us then.
Reply 10
so what happens if i get crap grades for AS -- therefore crap predicted grades but i do extremely well in resits and classwork..?
Reply 11
you'd have to discuss that with teachers... if they know that you're capable of much more, or you were just having an off day, and got a C instead of an A or a B, for example, you could still get predicted A or B if they know you're capable of it.
Reply 12
I think that's right, anyway.
Reply 13
If I get a B at AS, and a teacher tries to predict me a B for A2, I'm going to do everything I can (legal and illegal) to get it turned into an A, because I know I'm capable.
Reply 14
At my school, there was certainly an element of haggling. I was originally predicted an A for Psychology and C's for Chemistry and Biology, based on my AS grades. However, I talked to my teachers and managed to get them to predict me ABB instead, because I needed that for my first choice uni, and I know I'm capable of it.

I really think it all depends on your school :smile:
Reply 15
bs.uk
so what happens if i get crap grades for AS -- therefore crap predicted grades but i do extremely well in resits and classwork..?

any advice which people give you here is probably going to be pretty irrelevant to your own situation. You need to know how the system works in your own school. Try asking someone from the year above you what happened for him/her.
Reply 16
That's right... it will vary loads from school to school, and even from teacher to teacher... some will be very flexible, and predict what you need to get into your choice of uni (within reason - nothing too absurd), but some will be extremely rigid when it comes to upping grades, and will not budge an inch (or a grade, as the case may be).
Reply 17
In my school, they predict the grades by looking at UMS at AS. For example, if a person scrapes an A, they will be predicted a grade B. If they the person is in the middle or almost near a certain grade, they will have a grade increase (e.g. B to A).
Reply 18
trev
In my school, they predict the grades by looking at UMS at AS. For example, if a person scrapes an A, they will be predicted a grade B. If they the person is in the middle or almost near a certain grade, they will have a grade increase (e.g. B to A).

that doesn't make sense... A person who scraped an A will be predicted lower than a person who just missed an A ???
Reply 19
trev

Well that makes no sense, because by that logic someone who got 241 scraping an A would be predicted a B, but someone who only just missed out on an A by getting, say 239, would be predicted an A.

Latest