The Student Room Group

Awards for top marks in Higher

I know that in some subjects the "Association of [subject] teachers'" (or something) give awards for gaining the top mark in Higher in Scotland. Does this happen in every subject?

There's some interesting stats on the SQA website to do with the number of people sitting each subject, the number who achieve each grade and such like. I particularly enjoy the "Brick Laying" part!
I'm not sure if it happens in every subject but in my year people achieved the top marks for human biology and german. there's actually a brick-laying higher?! I'm assuming it's a practical paper, not a theory?!
Reply 2
It seems I was a little over zealous in my badmouthing of Highers: there isn't a Higher in brick laying. However, there is a Higher in "building services" that was taken by a grand total of 6 (thas not a typo, I mean six) people in 2004! Ony 3 of the candidates passed, 2 gained an A, 1 gained a B. Hmmm.....
Reply 3
Yeh, id heard about this award thing too. However, a friend of mine came top in 2004 for higher history and they just foned him up and told him, that was it. The school gave him an made up award thought.
Reply 4
Thommo
Yeh, id heard about this award thing too. However, a friend of mine came top in 2004 for higher history and they just foned him up and told him, that was it. The school gave him an made up award thought.

2 years ago a guy at my school got highest mark in history. I think it might have actually been full marks. I'm pretty sure he got an award or something. there's DEFINITELY one for geography.
Reply 5
There are national awards for top marks in S-Grade and AH Computing, though those have nothing (really) to do with the SQA and there isn't actually one at Higher (cos it's an English thing mainly and they don't award ones at AS-level).
Think they do something for physics cos a girl in my year at school got some kind of recognition for having done very well in Higher and AH physics, though I can't remember exactly what... Dunno about anything else either. Sorry - that's not really a very helpful post is it?!
Jenn xx
How can you get 100% in higher history... on the marking instructions doesn't it day that full marks should be reserved only for the perfect essay, which doesn't exist, or soemthing? (that may be AH)
Reply 7
WhatFreshHell?
How can you get 100% in higher history... on the marking instructions doesn't it day that full marks should be reserved only for the perfect essay, which doesn't exist, or soemthing? (that may be AH)

As I said, I'm not sure if the person at my school did get full marks. I don't see why it would be impossible.... just extremely hard. In the Higher marking instructions I'm nearly certain it says "there is no such thing as the perfect essay" and that full marks shouldn't be kept back for that. My teacher is an SQA marker and he gave out full makrs once or twice, anyway.
Reply 8
I know the guy who got the top marks in Higher geology two years ago :smile:
Reply 9
Well, my mum got a £50 book token when she got 100% in Maths and Physics. But that was 27 years ago. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending