The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

this kind of crap should be scrapped. if you're really THAT poor give it to your parents to heat and run the house. KMT.
Original post by Asiko
The experience of college isn't worth £30. I took 3 days off last week because college has been making me unhappy. There are people who are more deserving of EMA than me. People can say "people who get EMA don't spend it on things they should". Well I can say that I don't have to buy school stuff everyday. I walk to and from college and spend my money on things I want. When I need to get school stuff I'll get it. In fact, the first thing I bought with my EMA was a £50 desk to work on.

If I don't get EMA Iwouldn't be able to get the things I want and you know what? I can live without those things. My life isn't any better with a new video game.

agreed, thanks for your honesty.
Your welcome.
Original post by mangoh
Hi currently in year 12 (doing redoing year 12):

I get £30 a week for EMA.

I was wondering from september 2011, will I still get EMA? (confused about recent changes announced)

no you wont. unluckyyyy!
im not lying.
seriously, you wont get it.
its being stopped because the conservatives are pretty harsh..
Original post by mangoh
seriously, don't lie?

sorry i forgot to quoteeee ^^ :smile:
Original post by mangoh
no I heard I get £20, sum1 that knows what they are talking about, pls answer.

edit: I asked, hoping sum1 would reassure me :l

no honest they are stopping it!
i get it too! and we all got sent a letter and some people in our school wrote a complaint letter, but nothing happened.
bit insulting really to say that i dont know what im talking about..
i could work for the government for all you know!!
What is going to replace ema? I live independantly so I rely on that 30
Original post by mangoh
no I heard I get £20, sum1 that knows what they are talking about, pls answer.

edit: I asked, hoping sum1 would reassure me :l

Those who started year 12 in 2010 and currently get £30/week will be reduced to £20 next year, not sure if those who retake year 12 count for that.
What I want to know is what about people like me who get £20/week and are in year 12, do we get nothing or £20/week next year, most sources are being very hazy about it.
Just hoping someone can help me here, I live in Northern Ireland and get EMA fortnightly to be paid on a Monday i.e. this Monday, usually can lift it on a Saturday. Got a text saying I'd get it on the 16th and then another one saying ignore the last text you will get it on the 14th, which is Tuedsay. Ehhhh?
No bank holidays or anything that I know of, I can't find my payment sheet and I need to know when the payment will come through.
Anybody able to help please???
Reply 3990
My Dad earns quite a small amount at his job and is in quite a bit of debt. He also might lose his job by the time I enter college and my Mum doesn't work. So I'm quite worried about any money issues we'll enter in the next year. I don't really want to rely on my parents too much so I'm going to be looking for a job the moment I finish GCSEs. But I was also wondering if there'd be anything to replace EMA? I'm only asking because my friend told me that there'd be something that's a lot less. Is this true?

Edit: Woops, I was supposed to put this in the money and finance section :/
(edited 13 years ago)
What the above poster said.

Also consider getting a job at the weekend if your really short for monies.

All the best. :h:
Reply 3993
My mum is a single parent with 2 children she earns about £25,000 can I still get ema next year......
Comments are well appreciated :smile: :confused:
Nope this is the last school year of EMA.

EDIT: Soz I've been corrected and this may not be correct!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Nope this is the last school year of EMA.

Its only stopping in England
If you live in N. Ireland, Wales or Scotland look here for info http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/14To19/MoneyToLearn/EMA/DG_067575
:smile:
If you go to an English school you're no longer able to get it i'm afraid
(edited 13 years ago)
I was told for the ones who started their studys last year will get a reduced amount.
Original post by Lewis :D
Its only stopping in England
If you live in N. Ireland, Wales or Scotland look here for info http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/14To19/MoneyToLearn/EMA/DG_067575
:smile:
If you go to an English school you're no longer able to get it i'm afraid

Really? I didn't know that! Thanks :smile:

OP check this out: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/14To19/MoneyToLearn/EMA/DG_066955
my friend in year 12 said that she asked and she still gets it next year so you should be fine
If you got £30 a week and already started your studies you get a reduced amount, those student who received £10 or £20 a week get nada

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending