The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot entry - when? where? how?!

Hi! I'm thinking of joining the RAF as a pilot, but I'm not quite sure how to go about things! I've just finished my first year of sixth form and I'm planning to go to Uni in September of 2006, and thinking of joinging the RAF after that. If anybody could help me with these questions I'd be REALLY grateful!

With the Uni sponsorship bursaries, which courses are considered 'acceptable'?
For the Uni bursaries do you have to go to a special RAF approved uni?
If i wanted to join the RAF after Uni, what are the upper age limits? i.e., if I finished my Uni course when I was 22 would I still be able to join the RAF as a pilot?
If i DID join the RAF after Uni but didn't do the bursary thing, would that mean that I wouldn't have to actually do any kind of applying/selecting etc until my last year at Uni?
If you do join the RAF is there a kind of 'trial' period where if you don't like it you can leave?

Anybody who helps me thank you SOO much! I am gettin so stressed about this whole thing and my careers section at school has literally NOTHING! thanx !

Jess-Star x x x
Reply 1
You can still join upto the age of 23 but if you recieve the bursary then you have to join afterwards as long as you still meet the requirements. You can choose any subject you like to study, they are not fussy. While you are there think about the UAS (University Air Squadron), which you can apply for at the induction.
Reply 2
Trial period, dont think so. Someone else will correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that if you join you have to wait 3 months before you can buy yourself out or that may just be the army (might be different for the air force).
If you do drop out and you have the bursary, you have to pay the money back.

Hope this helps
Reply 3
Eurofighter
You can still join upto the age of 23 but if you recieve the bursary then you have to join afterwards as long as you still meet the requirements. You can choose any subject you like to study, they are not fussy. While you are there think about the UAS (University Air Squadron), which you can apply for at the induction.

It's 23.5.

You cannot think about the UAS, you HAVE to join. Your name will be put forward for it, you do not apply.
Reply 4
Jess-Star

With the Uni sponsorship bursaries, which courses are considered 'acceptable'?
Any one you want.

Jess-Star
For the Uni bursaries do you have to go to a special RAF approved uni?
no
Jess-Star
If i wanted to join the RAF after Uni, what are the upper age limits? i.e., if I finished my Uni course when I was 22 would I still be able to join the RAF as a pilot?
For pilot it is 23.5 to start IOT.
Jess-Star
If i DID join the RAF after Uni but didn't do the bursary thing, would that mean that I wouldn't have to actually do any kind of applying/selecting etc until my last year at Uni?
Unless you wanted to go straight in, you would wait until your final year, but you could still join a UAS and do EFT without a bursary.
Jess-Star
If you do join the RAF is there a kind of 'trial' period where if you don't like it you can leave?
Minimum time to sevre for Officers is 4–12 years. The minimum service for pilot is 12. Given the length of holds at the moment you would be looking at finishing training around the 5 year mark.
Jess-Star

Anybody who helps me thank you SOO much! I am gettin so stressed about this whole thing and my careers section at school has literally NOTHING! thanx !

Jess-Star x x x
Remember to think long and hard about applying to be a pilot. It is the hardest branch to get a place and the most popular to apply for. Currently there are 100 spaces this year and thousands upon thousands of people apply. I'm not trying to discourage you, just make sure that it is what you really really want to do. It is a big commitment, very very hard work, lower pay that a civvy pilot, long hours, crap holds, etc. When your flying a fast jet you don't have time to think 'this is great' or 'look how much I'm enjoying myself.' It is a very hard job, but also a rewarding one.
Reply 5
lower pay? I thought it was around the region of 70k for a commercial captain? I used to know Paul Meehan (BA top pilot) he started off DE into the RN, did OU and got some degree in flying or what not then left and is now rich, but I remember him saying something like it was 70k for captain, was a while ago, mightve changed.
Reply 6
Ah, forgot to write* it takes such a long ass time to become a captain you'll be first officer for so long and I dont think the pay is too great for FO.
Reply 7
djmarkmclachlan
lower pay? I thought it was around the region of 70k for a commercial captain? I used to know Paul Meehan (BA top pilot) he started off DE into the RN, did OU and got some degree in flying or what not then left and is now rich, but I remember him saying something like it was 70k for captain, was a while ago, mightve changed.

Yeah, your right, have to start as a first officer, where the pay isnt that great. No garentee of being in a big airline as well, possibly need to start with a small one with dash 8's or fockers.

But to get there you need to fight your way through the cheap seats as a 2nd officer on the likes of ryan air, easyjet, eujet and the likes where the pay isnt as high and that you are also paying off the training bond that the airliner has secured for you.
Reply 8
djmarkmclachlan

Try earning £70k as a fj bloke while still flying :wink:
Reply 9
lol I made no sense, I meant as to how you have to fork out so much for you're pilots license then go onto a **** wage as FO, compared to DE then if you reach Captain, Im sure you're around the 70,000 again, so they're fairly equal.
Reply 10
thanks for your help everyone! That was a LOT of questions I asked! ;-)
Jess
Reply 11
Eurofighter
Trial period, dont think so. Someone else will correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that if you join you have to wait 3 months before you can buy yourself out or that may just be the army (might be different for the air force).

"Buying" yourself out is an anachronism. As a pilot, you can "voluntarily withdraw" from training any time you like. You may be offered another branch, but chances are you'll be waved off happily. If you were sponsored, you must deliver something like 5 years' productive service; that's service post training; or you have to repay your sponsorship. As BH mentions, flying training can take up to five years.

Technically, you accept the Queen's Commission for at least 12 years. A SSC for pilot is 12, a PC is 18, and on a PC as a graduate you're given a "graduate option" to legally leave at 12 years' service as well.

Once qualified, you're no longer classed as "in training" so rather than VWing you have to "PVR;" that is apply for a "premature voluntary release" from your commission. They won't keep you, but they may well need to keep you if you're operationally necessary for a while.

So, you can always leave, but you can't just stop pitching up, your "notice" period may be lengthy, and no-one'll force you to stay for 12 years.

Latest