The Student Room Group

Genetics at Sheffield and Nottingham !

I have applied to Sheffield, Nottingham and Bristol for the Biochemistry and Genetics course and at Warwick for the Virology/Microbiology course. I already have offers from Sheffield and Nottingham and aknowledgement from the other 2, but I am still waiting for a firm response. However, I am deffinetly going to choose between Sheffield and Nottingham, since I am about to transfer to Medical Genetics (MBiolSci) at Sheffield and to Human Genetics(MSci) at Nottingham. My questions are as follows:

1. Which is the difference between Human and Medical Genetics?
2. Which one(which degree and which university) is best in terms of careers and salaries, for example?
3. Since there seems to be two different degrees, MBiolSci and MSci, which one is better and why?
4. Regarding popularity, which one from Sheffield and Nottingham is considered better for Genetics?
5. I noticed that the Medical Genetics course also has two modules about Human Genetics and the Human Genetics course at Nottingham also has one course about Medical Genetics...what does this mean? I also noticed that at Nottingham there is the possibility to take optional modules - how many can be taken and at graduation, how will these optional modules be listed on my degree or how will it be noted that I have taken them? I am a Romanian student and don't know exactly how the English system works in terms of dipomas.
6. I have seen many people saying that the entry requirements at Nottingham are somehow higher than those at Sheffield, but I received offers with exactly the opposite conditions. I have to take a 9 overall grade for Sheffield and a 7,5 for Nottingham, which means a great difference.....what does this mean? Is Sheffield really better?
7. Which one of these two universities is suposed to be cheaper as far as accommodation is concerned? Also, for the shared rooms, for how many people is there a bathroom for? Is there only one bathroom in an entire hall/house/building?
8. One more important question - if I took an MSci or a MBiolSci as a degree and then wanted to go for a PhD. diploma, will the master degree still matter as in will I still have to take 3 years for the doctoral degree, or can I substitute the first year with the MSci or the MBiolSci?

I apologize if any of these questions have already been asked and answered, but I have thoroughly searched and didn't find many results. Thank you very much in advance ! All the best!

Latest

Trending

Trending