The Student Room Group

Government adverts targeted at us – dreadful fail!

Well this is not just a general ‘lets slate all adverts’ thread, I’m painstakingly sick of these Government adverts that are targeted at us (Young Adults) the way they impose that we all speak to each other like mindless inbreeds.

For example; Road respect, don’t loose it I mean please, do they think we all go around saying “Respect my man” at each other all day long? No we don’t, most of us have the ability to engage in normal conversation with each other without having to resort to slang terms, another example is the advert that apparently shows to normal teenagers talking that goes “Oi buddy respect for the driving back their bro” Honestly is cringe worthy.

Another one; Chlamydia, worth talking about No it’s not worth talking about, it’s not a very nice thing to discuss at all and it does not justify constant streams of radio and TV adverts all day long making it seem like something you would talk about over tea and biscuits with your Nan.

EMA; this has to be the worst, they way they emphasize £30 for going to college, not going to college to learn, going to college to get £30 a week.

I understand the importance of making people aware of such things, but the way they are going about it is anything but blissful anyone else feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Parliamentarians mostly come from privaleged backgrounds, and the mean age is ~50. Of course they're going to be out of touch with what teenagers are really like.
Government advertising is necessary to raise awareness of some issues, but I do find some of their campaigns to be completely and utterly patronising. Now , I may just be speaking as a geography student here, but when I saw that advert in the cinema with the dad telling his daughter a bedtime story about global warming, I couldn't stop facepalming and sighing. Do they think we're all idiots really? I mean, it wasn't even targeted at a specific demographic - it just treated everyone in the cinema like a complete fool.

To be honest, most government campaigns seem to backfire - I can see their global warming campaigning failing on a daily basis, since people associate the issue with the campaign, and the campaign with an unpopular government, and consequently write it off. Whether they backfire just because they're terrible, or because they're from the Government, is something I don't know.
DanielNewton
Well this is not just a general ‘lets slate all adverts’ thread, I’m painstakingly sick of these Government adverts that are targeted at us (Young Adults) the way they impose that we all speak to each other like mindless inbreeds.

For example; Road respect, don’t loose it I mean please, do they think we all go around saying “Respect my man” at each other all day long? No we don’t, most of us have the ability to engage in normal conversation with each other without having to resort to slang terms, another example is the advert that apparently shows to normal teenagers talking that goes “Oi buddy respect for the driving back their bro” Honestly is cringe worthy.

I understand the importance of making people aware of such things, but the way they are going about it is anything but blissful anyone else feel the same?

That type of advert isn't aimed at young adults in general. It's aimed at a very specific sector of society; one which you are evidently not part of.
Reply 4
Completely agree there, dude.

Government adverts do nothing but make their target demographic cringe.
Reply 5
'I would do anything for youuuuuuuuuuu', so why won't you quit smoking?!?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
Reply 6
Elipsis
'I would do anything for youuuuuuuuuuu', so why won't you quit smoking?!?!?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

This is weird, but that squirrel in your sig is so cute.
My favorite was the 'kids edition of question time', we were given leaflets where the font was in graffiti... I'm perfectly able to read times new roman thank you.
Reply 8
4WhenImBanned
That type of advert isn't aimed at young adults in general. It's aimed at a very specific sector of society; one which you are evidently not part of.

Correct. Adverts target a particular demographic; just because you are not in the targeted group doesn't make the advert bad. For example, I am a guy, and have no need for bras and tampons. I would appear stupid if I was complaining that the adverts for Tampax did not inspire me to go out and buy some, and that I didn't feel that the advert was targeted at me.
They are at least better than the adult ones, ie. endless streams of threats if you don't pay various taxes. The most depressing thing is the sheer amount of money they waste on them. I could've bought something useful with that money, like a packet of biscuits or a book.
DanielNewton

Another one; Chlamydia, worth talking about No it’s not worth talking about, it’s not a very nice thing to discuss at all and it does not justify constant streams of radio and TV adverts all day long making it seem like something you would talk about over tea and biscuits with your Nan.

EMA; this has to be the worst, they way they emphasize £30 for going to college, not going to college to learn, going to college to get £30 a week.

This cracked me up :biggrin:
Reply 11
Muffinz
Parliamentarians mostly come from privaleged backgrounds, and the mean age is ~50. Of course they're going to be out of touch with what teenagers are really like.

They should put some of us in there to fix things...:yep:
AlexCisneros
My favorite was the 'kids edition of question time', we were given leaflets where the font was in graffiti... I'm perfectly able to read times new roman thank you.

I prefer Arial tbh.

Anyway, to the original post: I don't agree with those adverts, either. Those people who are targeted aren't interested in the government anyway.
And the stupid Chlamydia campaign has gone too far: When I went to the GP, the nurse practically forced me to have a test. I didn't want to make a scene so I did it, but I did argue with her at first because I simply didn't need a test. And there's posters everywhere asking "do YOU have it?". I'm really fed up with it.
Reply 13
DanielNewton

But even the adverts for adults are shockingly bad...like this one:

Do they assume the general public is retarded?
Muffinz

Parliamentarians have very little - if anything at all - to do with the production of these adverts.
Aphotic Cosmos
Government advertising is necessary to raise awareness of some issues, but I do find some of their campaigns to be completely and utterly patronising. Now , I may just be speaking as a geography student here, but when I saw that advert in the cinema with the dad telling his daughter a bedtime story about global warming, I couldn't stop facepalming and sighing. Do they think we're all idiots really? I mean, it wasn't even targeted at a specific demographic - it just treated everyone in the cinema like a complete fool.

To be honest, most government campaigns seem to backfire - I can see their global warming campaigning failing on a daily basis, since people associate the issue with the campaign, and the campaign with an unpopular government, and consequently write it off. Whether they backfire just because they're terrible, or because they're from the Government, is something I don't know.

This this this!

The older generations are way out of touch. Yet again, they do use people from our generation for advice on their campaigns, but they pick the wrong type of people altogether :stomp: No wonder they can't understand this generation, if they classify all youths as illiterate morons!
Reply 16
whitepearlbaby
Anyway, to the original post: I don't agree with those adverts, either. Those people who are targeted aren't interested in the government anyway.
And the stupid Chlamydia campaign has gone too far: When I went to the GP, the nurse practically forced me to have a test. I didn't want to make a scene so I did it, but I did argue with her at first because I simply didn't need a test. And there's posters everywhere asking "do YOU have it?". I'm really fed up with it.

Quite. My GP seems to operate on the assumption that I'm out having unprotected sex with a new partner three times a week. I really hate to disappoint him sometimes...
The people they show in the adverts are more likely to do the stuff they're warning about.

the word 'youths' = chavs/scum/etc
L i b
Quite. My GP seems to operate on the assumption that I'm out having unprotected sex with a new partner three times a week. I really hate to disappoint him sometimes...

I told her that I've been in a relationship for nearly three years. "YOU NEVER KNOW11!one!!1!!" she says, handing me a testing kit.
bigmo7
But even the adverts for adults are shockingly bad...like this one:

Do they assume the general public is retarded?

The general public is retarded though.

Latest

Trending

Trending