The Student Room Group

Should I take a language for A Level?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on what you like. Languages are very respected and they will be very good if you decide to go into Economics. However, they will not be of any use for Maths while Physics will. Just take what you like!!

Good luck!!
SaveItForTheMorning
And languages aren't academic?!

Compared to history and the sciences...
Physics is eccpecialy one to consider if taking maths.
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Compared to history and the sciences...
Physics is eccpecialy one to consider if taking maths.

*especially.
So, you were talking about what is regarded as academic?
OWNED.

I agree that if taking Maths then Physics is better, but A level languages are very highly thought of and very tough subjects. It's not like GCSE ''what did you do at the weekend'' language, it's very complex and very hard work.
Also, studying history comes as part of studying the language, which is why language students are among the most employable university graduates.
Reply 23
dannylj
I had previously decided upon taking:

Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Modern History, Physics.

But now I'm thinking of taking a language instead of history or physics. My aim is to take economics or maths at university. Is there any point in me taking a language?

You should. Despite the fact you would become my competition in the future that is a very strong combination and a language would make you a very good canidate when applying to universities.
Take a language! I do two for A-Level and one for GCSE currently, and I'm using them constantly - as well as applying for something language-related at university. You have excellent prospects studying one. :wink:

Plus, some universities need languages as a pre-requisite for study abroad, so having an A-Level language would give you a cutting edge in that respect.

Obviously, it isn't necessary for Economics, but it broadens your skill range and offers something a bit different to the intense maths you are taking on. One of my friends is applying for something similar (Accounting and Finance, possibly?), and she does A-Level French. If I'm not mistaken, she has an offer from LSE - can't say better than that, really. :smile:
Im gonna take German A-Level but every time i say that to people they always ask what the point of it actually is

Any ideas of how to counter the arguement?
Yes yes yes, if you're good at a language then definitely! Above anything, the learning style is so different that it makes a nice change from other subjects; I did similar subjects to you at A level (not as many though :P) but did German too and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I'm taking an extra module in it at uni alongside economics :smile:
SaveItForTheMorning
*especially.
So, you were talking about what is regarded as academic?
OWNED.

I agree that if taking Maths then Physics is better, but A level languages are very highly thought of and very tough subjects. It's not like GCSE ''what did you do at the weekend'' language, it's very complex and very hard work.
Also, studying history comes as part of studying the language, which is why language students are among the most employable university graduates.

Dam, you right, dyslexia just "owned" me...

Due to the lack of essay writing (english, essay wrighting, I might add) and source evaluation, history would be a better choice.
If he did want to work abrord, more work would be needed on top of the a level, however, if that is what he wants im sure he would have already decided on a language.
If you enjoy it and are good at it, go for it. Although if you're better at the other, or more interested in the other, then go for that.

I had a mini dilemma over whether to choose further maths or German, and I decided on German because I simply love it, and it'll be a nice change from the whole maths thing.
I'd suggest you should take it instead of history if you could. You'd have a real academic mixture then. Not that history isn't academic, but I mean maths, ec & phys kinda go together better than history would have.
Reply 30
I am thinking of sticking with history, the only reason I would do a language is because it would look good for uni/job. History I am better at and prefer. I still feel like taking a language is the smart thing to do though.
I'm pro languages. I take French and I regret not taking Italian too, but that's just because I, personally, don't find languages too difficult. Obviously, it all depends on how well you think you'd cope with it. As previously said, the language is far more complex and there is a lot of new vocab to learn. A lot of what I'm learning to talk/write essays about is completely new to me, let alone in French (i.e. third world debt, immigration issues etc.)

Additionally, languages are always useful and are looked upon well at universities and by employers.

At the end of the day just pick the subjects you enjoy/need for your course and you feel secure getting a good grade in :smile:
Reply 32
LondonDreamer
I'm facing a similar decision myself (French vs. Politics for me). I'm starting to come to the conclusion that languages actually aren't all that useful. I'm sure I've heard (although don't ask for the reference) that modern language graduates have the lowest employment rates of all. Plus you can easily pick up a language later through evening classes or whatever if you ever need it (more easily than you could pick up a lot other A-level subjects) and it's something you're likely to lose if you don't use iyswim.

Something you may want to consider is that languages become very literature-based at A-level, unlike at GCSE where the focus is simply on learning the language and communicating.

I'll be interested to read what others have to say...

Not true.
I'm currently doing german/maths/further maths/computing/physics at the moment at AS and the workload is just fine. Just stay on top of it and prioritise when necessary. But remember that physics opens a lot of doors as a highly respected as, and languages also do, but in a totally different area. It depends what you want to do in the future I guess...?
Reply 34
Languages ftw!

Is all I have to say on the matter.

But seriously, languages (in my opinion) are easier than History or physics: less work and much more varied. You learn about areas of history and literature and it's absolutely fascinating. Also, French will be much more useful to you if you're doing economics than history would. You'd be a lot more employable in a business if you can speak to people from more countries in the native language. Just a thought.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. Good luck :smile:
Languages ftw :biggrin:

Universities regard languages highly (although I'm not sure about whether maths or economics degrees might require physics but that's probably easy to find out) and they show you have a range of skills, also you never know when they will come in handy :smile: But only take one if you enjoy it and are fairly good at it, they can be quite time consuming so you don't want to be in a situation spending loads of time on the language and neglecting the other subjects that are more closely linked to your degree subject
Reply 36
Depends how good you are at the language..A-level languages are such a huge step up from GCSE so you'll need to be pretty good to do well. Also, with high-demand subjects like that, do you think you'd have time to fit in learning vocab and grammar? Only do it if you're either highly skilled or determined enough to stick with it for 2 more years.
TSRavenclaw
Im gonna take German A-Level but every time i say that to people they always ask what the point of it actually is

Any ideas of how to counter the arguement?

Anyone asking a question that retarded is probably not worth talking to :wink:
Reply 38
Do a language, they are extremely useful, not "soft" and are looked upon highly by employers and unis.

Some people talk so much crap on here - French A level is just as respected as a Maths or Physics A-Level is...
xmarilynx
I doubt you will be able to find a reference for that, because it's complete crap.

I'm sure it came from a government study published 12-18 months ago. I'll have a look see if I can find it...

Seriously though, I'm curious, in which UK graduate jobs is having a second language a requirement, or even a great advantage? My impression was not many (other than, of course, language teaching) but maybe I'm wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest