The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sheffield is generally considered a good university across the board therefore almost every course is bound to be competitive, perhaps they may have felt in comparison with other candidates your application wasn't as strong?
I am a student at sheffield, I am advising you not to come here because sheffield university is run by money grabbing imbeciles. The course will be taught by lecturers who are useless and the student services are hideous. Please do not come to sheffield university.
Reply 3
Amit92
Hey,

Well I applyed to Sheffield for Economics and Maths with there Entry Requirements being ABC and my predictions AAB. I had an excellent PS, work experience and read some quality books/magazines.

I thought the course isn't very competitive...and was bound to get an offer but I got rejected!

I don't know what to do...ive seem some individuals on the forum who also got rejected with similar predictions to mine!

Whats happening with Sheffield?

Paulwhy - Any advice?

Thanks

Amit

I don't recall your background but Sheffield are getting a lot more competitive:
M+E is AAB in 2011.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics/prospectiveug/entry.html

What are your AS subjects and actual grades?
What are your A2 subjects and predicted grades?
Reply 4
Paulwhy
I don't recall your background but Sheffield are getting a lot more competitive:
M+E is AAB in 2011.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics/prospectiveug/entry.html

What are your AS subjects and actual grades?
What are your A2 subjects and predicted grades?

AS: Economics,Maths,Politics and Philosophy at BBCC
A2: Economics,Maths, Politicsat AAB predictions.
Amit92

Hi,
I just wanted to ask if you saw my first post.
I'm sure you will do well in your A-levels, but with reference to the sheffield application, I would strongly advise not coming to this university.
Student services are rubbish. Student fees have increased in this university again, however the number of tutorials that we get has halfed, and it will be going down to no tutorials next year despite tuition fees rising again (at uni we learn things in lectures and then practice them in tutorials).

I cannot say anymore than I wish I would have gone to a different university, even if it had a slightly worse reputation, however I'm 'stuck' here now :frown: .
Please my friend, I know you've probably been inspired by what you've seen on their website etc, but listen to someone who is actually a student here (rather than someone who is trying to sell you a course!), don't come to sheffield university.
mathperson
Hi,
I'm sure you will do well in your A-levels, but with reference to the sheffield application, I would strongly advise not coming to this university.
Student services are rubbish. Student fees have increased in this university again, however the number of tutorials that we get has halfed, and it will be going down to no tutorials next year despite tuition fees rising again (at uni we learn things in lectures and then practice them in tutorials).

I cannot say anymore than I wish I would have gone to a different university, even if it had a slightly worse reputation, however I'm 'stuck' here now :frown: .
Please my friend, I know you've probably been inspired by what you've seen on their website etc, but listen to someone who is actually a student here (rather than someone who is trying to sell you a course!), don't come to sheffield university.

He got rejected, no need to keep insisting he avoids Sheffield....
BigDickBastard
He got rejected, no need to keep insisting he avoids Sheffield....

thank god for that, i wish i was.
thanks for letting me know, however if anyone else wants my opinion on sheffield uni' then feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 8
Amit92

I think they would have want AA or AB in Maths Economics to give you an offer. :frown:
You can always check out Sheffield in Adjustment if you get good grades.
Reply 9
mathperson
Hi,

What makes you think other universities are any better?
Amit92

Perhaps considering your AS results differ from your A2 predictions by quite a significant margin they felt you actually achieving them was unrealistic?
Reply 11
What does everyone think about huddersfield university?
Reply 12
Dr. Jan Itor
Well, I think that explains it quite clearly! Your predictions are a little ambitious considering A2 is harder.

I got an offer for Economics with AS results of AAC and AAB predictions.

I did work for my AS-levels but I am working for my A-levels and a few resits :smile:
Samw1se
What makes you think other universities are any better?

Fair question.

Because they couldn't be much worse...

Seriously, I know alot of people at alot of universities and believe me I know of not one university that is like this.
Reply 14
mathperson
Fair question.

Seriously, I know alot of people at alot of universities and believe me I know of not one university that is like this.

What is actually so bad about it? It says on the website one dude got a place at Barclay's Capital!
Reply 15
mathperson
Fair question.

I mean I take your point, and certain universities are to certain people's tastes, but Sheffield are ranked as one of the top universities in the country. They must have earned that reputation, and surely the course and support would be better than, say an ex poly?
mathperson
thank god for that, i wish i was.
thanks for letting me know, however if anyone else wants my opinion on sheffield uni' then feel free to pm me :smile:

hahaha reading over that post a few times made me seriously laugh. Either you must have had the most unlucky and unusual experience at Sheffield, or your just a :troll:
Either way, your posts are bias and unproductive as to actually giving any real insight into Economics at Sheffield.
Reply 17
mathperson
Fair question.

I doubt everything you've said tbh. They wouldn't have got a top 5 student satisfaction if it were true...or number one students union.
BigDickBastard
hahaha reading over that post a few times made me seriously laugh. Either you must have had the most unlucky and unusual experience at Sheffield, or your just a :troll:
Either way, your posts are bias and unproductive as to actually giving any real insight into Economics at Sheffield.

I'm not a troll. OK, if you don't want to listen its your problem.

Good luck.
Sam o0o
I doubt everything you've said tbh. They wouldn't have got a top 5 student satisfaction if it were true...or number one students union.

Its completely logical to question what I've said because of this, however illogical to doubt it because firstly I have no reason to lie, secondly because I'm a student here.
Anyway here is a copy of an e-mail I sent to someone who PM'd wanting to know more:

"Hi Mali,

How come you were put off out of curiousity (apart from what I've said about the uni')?

I would seriously try and convince people from coming to sheffield university.
The student services are pathetic. Security is practically non-existant, and when I phoned security the person was very rude to me. I complained to the manager (and had a meeting with him) however nothing was done.
The food in the catering outlets throughout the university is hideously overpriced and the quality is questionable.
Other things in the university are overpriced, particularly in the students union.
I recently attempted suicide, and all the university cares about is beauracracy and regulations rather than helping me in my current situation.

I could go on all night about how bad student services are, but I hope the examples I've given give you a little taster of how bad they are?

Although the university puts up the tuition fees each year (and accomodation fees, come to think of it!), the amount of teaching and opportunities that we get for help is being drastically reduced. The number of tutorials (when we practive what we learn in lectures) has already halfed from last year (and some particular modules have gone down to just 3 tutorials throughout the semester, when there should be 12!), and is set to go down further (it was rumoured to zero) next year!
Although some of the lecturers are good, most aren't, quite frankly. They have been drafted in to talk about a subject they know nothing about (or so it ometimes seems). I had a lecturer this year who made so many mistakes that people actually started having a real go at him and complaining about him to the department (and even then the department done absolutely nothing). I also had a lecturer who couldn't speak english, and no it is no over exaderation (spelling?, sorry), I don't mean she just had a strong accent, I mean she literally spoke no english (her lecture attendance fell to about 10 people when there is about 300 people doing the course!).

(again, I could go on about teaching, but that gives you a taster I think).

Sheffield university is a joke, and let me say one final thing (which should convey how serious I am). I attempted suicide last semester due to personal reasons (not university/course related, though obviously it didn't help with such cr*p teaching etc), I got very much better over christmas and came back feeling 'raring to go' with my course. However the university is trying to stop me continuing and is putting alot of pressure on me to do the exams I missed (due to the attempt) in the august resit period, even though this will effect my final degree classification due to having to self study the modules (no teaching)! If I attempt suicide again, th university will have made a significant contribution, with its attitude towards me and the situation I'm in (as well as everything else I've mentioned). "

If you want to come to sheffield and find out for yourself thats fine by me, but I'm trying to help you.

Take care.

Latest

Trending

Trending