The Student Room Group

Getting a 'permanent' job on a gap year - notice periods etc.

I'd like to know how people have approached working in a permanent position when they've only been able to commit a few months - perhaps on a gap year (as I am).

Would anyone have a problem with me not letting on that I plan to leave for university in the autumn (I foresee an awkward question at interviews!)?
I don't think I'm legally obliged to let on and I could twist it a bit afterwards and say that I originally planned to defer entry (unlikely, but possible, in reality).

What about notice periods and all that (I know a minimum of one week must be given, by the employee) - are they tricky or awkward?

I've no experience of this - I've only ever worked as a temp or on short-term contracts.
Reply 1
I got a permanent job on my gap year, just told them at the end that I decided to go to uni after all...notice periods are usually a month after probation.
Reply 2
Yep, just tell a white lie. I got a permament job on my year out which I plan to work until I go to university (which they don't know about) so I'll probably tell them a month before I go that I decided to go in the end.

Mind you, it does make things awkward socially. Like, I can never talk about university stuff, in case my manager says something like ''I thought you said you weren't going'' but tbh everyone is so nice where I work, they wouldn't care!

Edit - be honest, best way :yep:
Reply 3
I don't know if that includes working on freelance jobs? Any comments about that?

Latest

Trending

Trending