The Student Room Group

What GCSE's should i take to do forensic science?

Hi all,

Soon I will be picking my GCSE options for year 10, and I am interested in having a career in forensic science when I'm older. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about all this but I want to be well informed when i pick my options, so if you could help thankyou! :biggrin:

Aside from the complusory subjects (in my case: English, maths, science, ICT, PE) i am allowed to pick 3 other subjects.

I am sure on doing triple science, however I don't know what subjects I should take other than that at the moment, ICT is already a complusory subject so i'm not sure anymore. My friends suggested that picking a language would be a good idea although I'm not sure it would be of much use, and I don't enjoy language subjects that much!

If you could offer any adivce on GCSE's/Alevels that are looked for by universities/colleges in forensic science I'd appreciate it! Any if you have any more advice on the matter i'd be very gratefull!

Mooha21
As long as you have Maths, Science and English, then it really won't matter beyond that.
Reply 2
Believe me, GCSE's do not matter at all for degree choices at Uni. For example, I am currently in year 13 (upper Sixth Form), and in year 10 I wanted to be an Animator when I was older, so I chose to do Art. I was actually rubbish at Art, getting basically E's/U's in the subject (though I managed to get a C in the end), though I was foolish enough to think that it would effect me getting a degree in Animation.

Now that I am at the point where I am applying to Uni's and bringing in offers, 3 years later. I've learnt that it's your A-levels that influence everything, they only glance at GCSE's to see how well you did grade-wise, to whether you passed english/maths.

Besides, Science is compulsory for GCSE, so as long as you pass that, as well as maths and english. I wouldn't worry about your future career/degree until you hit A-levels ! Though it is always a good idea to think about the sort of field you want to be in when you older. I changed my career/degree choice by Year 13, and I'm sure you'll either change completely, or go for a degree/career in the science field ! (:
I have asked my careers advisory team at school because that is what i would like to study as well ,they recommended taking art in the case that you may need to work with sketch teams. Computer art/textiles for the same reason and also criminology if that is an option but if not then take a subject that you find interesting or you think is appropriate.

Hope that this helped
What about Psychology ?
please have a look at this link.
i hope it help you
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/forensic_scientist_entry_requirements.htm
Original post by its not me
I have asked my careers advisory team at school because that is what i would like to study as well ,they recommended taking art in the case that you may need to work with sketch teams. Computer art/textiles for the same reason and also criminology if that is an option but if not then take a subject that you find interesting or you think is appropriate.

Hope that this helped

You don't need art: any sketching you do is perfectly fine at 'Janet and John' level. Anything more complicated can be done by annotated digital photos. At scenes it will all be photography or laser scanning by the time you get a job.

Beef up your science, English and maths. Statistics is critical in forensic science for interpreting evidence.
Reply 7
hey there,i hope you reply but this post was written 9 years ago so i hop your a forensic scientist now!anywaysi can't chose triple science to be a forensic scientist so what can i do will combined science help?what else do i need to pick for forensic science?-what would help ?

Quick Reply

Latest