The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dan789
My school has invested energy into promoting BTECs and vocational qualifications, and as such I'm only leaving with:

8 GCSE Full Courses
2 GCSE Short courses
2 BTECs (ICT being compulsory; No GCSE alternative offered for Business Studies)
An AS Science in Society

The school's focused on helping low achievers, to the extent of neglecting the more intelligent. Needless to say I'm not staying on at their 6th form.

BTECs to what level?
You have an AS there, even though in a subject I don't personally see as a good subject, but you'll still get an AS in Year 11, which is something rare, and if you go to uni will make you stand out.
Reply 41
clareramos
BTECs to what level?
You have an AS there, even though in a subject I don't personally see as a good subject, but you'll still get an AS in Year 11, which is something rare, and if you go to uni will make you stand out.

The 'BTEC First Certificate', sorry, I should've been clearer. It's supposedly equivalent to 2 GCSE Grades. I know it's been done to death in other threads, so I'll not get into it, it's just I'm not convinced that they're worth even one, considering the content.

I get the impression that less GCSEs than other people will put me on the back foot (understandably so) when applying to top unis and courses. Is this so? Am I wrong in thinking this?

And yes, I agree about the AS course - the actual science in it is far and few between.
Dan789
The 'BTEC First Certificate', sorry, I should've been clearer. It's supposedly equivalent to 2 GCSE Grades. I know it's been done to death in other threads, so I'll not get into it, it's just I'm not convinced that they're worth even one, considering the content.

I get the impression that less GCSEs than other people will put me on the back foot (understandably so) when applying to top unis and courses. Is this so? Am I wrong in thinking this?

And yes, I agree about the AS course - the actual science in it is far and few between.

I'm guessing you're currently taking it?
Certificate is currently equivilent to 2 GCSEs but from anyone starting the course next year Certificate will only be worth 1 GCSE.

They look at your GCSEs for Uni, but they mainly base it on your GCE results, so I wouldn't overally be bothered, and I know people who have done very well at uni purely with BTECs.

Latest