The Student Room Group

Hope arouses, as nothing else can arouse, a passion for the possible...

I don't even remember when was the last time I've stopped thinking of becoming a doctor and for as long as I could remembered, I have never thought of giving up hope on becoming one. I'm 24yo already and life is passing by like a gust of wind. I have chosen to study Biomedical Sciences 4 years ago because my family couldn't afford to send me to a medical school so I took the alternative route. I have graduated in 2008 and since then I have been looking for jobs and yet unsuccessful. I have to admit that I didn't perform to my standard during those 3 years. Thus, the result came haunting me. I did fantastically well in my first year and then God decided to take my parents away from me in my second year and ever since then all my hopes were gone. My studies started to falter and things got worse beyond control. I have lost my inspiration. I have graduated with a Third-Class which was far from my expectation. With such result, I found it so hard to find a job and yet another degree.

For all the years gone by, I managed to salvaged myself back to sanity and normality. I started to accept the fact that my parents were gone. But it was too late now to rectify the mistake I have done. My parents always wanted me to be doctor and I wanted to make them proud. It took me so long to realize that. How can I ever get myself back into the world of hope? I felt like I have let them down so much and they will never forgive me. They have worked so hard all their lives just to give me this opportunity to become a doctor. Till the day they passed away, they were still working hard to pay off my tuition fees. How could I ever done that by screwing up my degree!

I want to have a chance to study medicine once again. As I can see that the competition to find a medical related jobs is relatively higher than usual. So I thought, to earn a medical degree would guarantee my dream. To be honest, most medical schools requirements were at least 2:1 and above. It will be even harder for me to apply.I'm starting to lose hope again daily.

So I would like to take this opportunity to ask fellow members what other alternatives I have got in order to achieve my dream?

P.S I do apologise if my message causes any emotional stress or someone might find it offensive. I feel much better to be able to talk about my problem.

Best regards
Eddrick
Reply 1
I don't know too much about it but I think it would be very hard to get onto graduate medicine with a third. I don't know if a second degree would be beneficial - if it is you could try for an allied health professional one as the NHS pay the fees and you get a bursary. Then work in that field for a while then try for medicine. Leicester uni are keen on health professionals on their graduate med degree. A long way round I know but there are people applying, and getting into med school, in their late 30s early 40s. So don't feel you have to rush into anything. This website is good for mature student advice regarding med school: http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/mature-students/
You have had a really bad time of it, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do.
If you do your research, you will find at least one medical school which will consider a 3rd class honours degree providing you have a PhD (granted, you would have to find somewhere willing to let you onto an MSc course first). Your only other option I would imagine is to go abroad and fund your own medical education.
Reply 3
All I read was "Life is passing by like a gust of wind" and don't I know it. I'm also 24 myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending