The Student Room Group

people that know about additional support for dyspraxic students at uni?

Basically , I have recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia.

this affects my ability to plan work effectivley, my time management is non-existant, and my overal organistation is dreadful.

As I am in my 4th year, and I've litrally only been diagnosed 2 weeks ago, I have not been able to make use of additional support that would have been available to me year round.

Would the above be a sufficiant reason for me to ask for an extension for my dissertation?

Now that I can get additional learning support, it would be VERY useful to have an extension and make propper use of this, rather then last minute support, that may not benefit me much.

Thanks guys.
Reply 1
If you were to ask for an extension, you'd need evidence that you need this.
Reply 2
what would be suitable evidence?
Your diagnostic report would be a good starting point.

Your best bet of an extension is always asking sooner rather than later. Talk to your tutor, as to how things work at your uni.
Reply 4
is that all i would need?

would you say my chances of getting this extension is slim?
No it shouldnt be. I've recently been diagnosed and i've been told that if you have education difficulties then talk to your tutor/module leader or in your case it would be supervisior i understand. Talk to them and get an extension and let them know.

I'm hoping to get my support set up before we start this set of course work.
Reply 6
Sapphire_Eyes
No it shouldnt be. I've recently been diagnosed and i've been told that if you have education difficulties then talk to your tutor/module leader or in your case it would be supervisior i understand. Talk to them and get an extension and let them know.

I'm hoping to get my support set up before we start this set of course work.

What have you been diagnosed with? dyspraxia like me?

If so, have you ever asked for an extension on these grounds?

The thing is, I never knew I was dyspraxic for my entire life, and I have learnt to work round it with shorter pieces of coursework.

However, as a dissertation is so long, and requires a helluva alot of time management and organistaion (which my dyspraxia affects), I KNOW I will have greater difficulty with it than most people...
Bongboy6969
What have you been diagnosed with? dyspraxia like me?

If so, have you ever asked for an extension on these grounds?

The thing is, I never knew I was dyspraxic for my entire life, and I have learnt to work round it with shorter pieces of coursework.

However, as a dissertation is so long, and requires a helluva alot of time management and organistaion (which my dyspraxia affects), I KNOW I will have greater difficulty with it than most people...

I've been dianosed with dyspraxia. I havent been able to ask as i've just been reassessed as my last assessment was when i was 9, i was dianosed as been dyslexic before that.

Talk to your supervisor. Try and do parts of your dissertation in short bursts thoughtout the day.
Reply 8
Bongboy6969

Would the above be a sufficiant reason for me to ask for an extension for my dissertation?

Hi ya, don't know if this will help (or if its the same in all unis), but it mentions "Exam modification" - not quite dissertation extention, but maybe it makes allowances for that aswell:
http://www.uel.ac.uk/studentservices/supportingyou/dyspraxia.htm

You have have other options such as deferring your dissertation, but this would also mean deferring your graduation, so that may not be the best option.

I'd suggest that you call up your Student Services dept., or tutor or something to discuss your situation, it think that you'll find that they can be flexible.
Reply 9
darigan
Hi ya, don't know if this will help (or if its the same in all unis), but it mentions "Exam modification" - not quite dissertation extention, but maybe it makes allowances for that aswell:
http://www.uel.ac.uk/studentservices/supportingyou/dyspraxia.htm

You have have other options such as deferring your dissertation, but this would also mean deferring your graduation, so that may not be the best option.

I'd suggest that you call up your Student Services dept., or tutor or something to discuss your situation, it think that you'll find that they can be flexible.

Thanks darigan, but i think the link might not work?

Ahh im really nervous about asking for this extension, as Im afraid they will tell me no and may also think im being lazy.

also I have exams a month after the deadline, so to give me an extension may mess the exams up for me, unless they let me hand it in after my exams?

I take a lot longer to do referencing, and sorting out structue, this is why I need the extension
Reply 10
Bongboy6969
Thanks darigan, but i think the link might not work?

Ahh im really nervous about asking for this extension, as Im afraid they will tell me no and may also think im being lazy.

also I have exams a month after the deadline, so to give me an extension may mess the exams up for me, unless they let me hand it in after my exams?

I take a lot longer to do referencing, and sorting out structue, this is why I need the extension

Hi, it might be someway its set up, Im using one of the uni computers, maybe you have to be a student to see it or something.

Anyway, ive pasted it in below. There's a table pasted in as well, but that didn't go quite right.

(edit: I think that in order to get the extension, you will need to be diagnosed. I think though that dyspraxia is relatively common, so theres no need to feel funny about asking for a screening and requesting some help)

People with dyspraxia tend to have the following profile:
Strengths Weaknesses
Determined Poor fine and gross motor coordination
Creative Poor spatial awareness
Thinking outside the box Slow at producing written work
Hard-working Untidy presentation of written work
Seeing other perspectives Difficulty organising assignment content
Problem solving Trouble with putting things in order (sequencing)
Artistic Poor memory
Sensitive Mispronounces words
Motivated Easily distracted
Short attention span
Difficulty tracking text
Poor time management skills

Dyspraxia frequently co-occurs with other specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, AD(H)D and Asperger's Syndrome.
Support Available

Every student's needs are different. Your dyslexia/disability advisor can help arrange the most appropriate level of support for your needs.

This support includes:

* Screening to find out if you need a full diagnostic assessment
* Dyspraxia certificate to attach to assignments and exam scripts
* Group and one-to-one study skills
* Extended loans in the library
* Access to assistive technology
* Exam modifications
* Advice and guidance on applying for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) to pay for additional costs related to your disability

If you think you may be dyspraxic or have another specific learning difficulty, why not attend a Screening?

If you would like advice, please contact us.
Letting Others Know

All information provided to us is considered confidential. We would not normally disclose it. With your consent, we will contact relevant members of UEL staff to inform them of your disability and support needs. This will be done by drawing up a Learning Support Agreement with your dyslexia/disability advisor.
Reply 11
darigan
Hi, it might be someway its set up, Im using one of the uni computers, maybe you have to be a student to see it or something.

Anyway, ive pasted it in below. There's a table pasted in as well, but that didn't go quite right.

(edit: I think that in order to get the extension, you will need to be diagnosed. I think though that dyspraxia is relatively common, so theres no need to feel funny about asking for a screening and requesting some help)

People with dyspraxia tend to have the following profile:
Strengths Weaknesses
Determined Poor fine and gross motor coordination
Creative Poor spatial awareness
Thinking outside the box Slow at producing written work
Hard-working Untidy presentation of written work
Seeing other perspectives Difficulty organising assignment content
Problem solving Trouble with putting things in order (sequencing)
Artistic Poor memory
Sensitive Mispronounces words
Motivated Easily distracted
Short attention span
Difficulty tracking text
Poor time management skills

Dyspraxia frequently co-occurs with other specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, AD(H)D and Asperger's Syndrome.
Support Available

Every student's needs are different. Your dyslexia/disability advisor can help arrange the most appropriate level of support for your needs.

This support includes:

* Screening to find out if you need a full diagnostic assessment
* Dyspraxia certificate to attach to assignments and exam scripts
* Group and one-to-one study skills
* Extended loans in the library
* Access to assistive technology
* Exam modifications
* Advice and guidance on applying for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) to pay for additional costs related to your disability

If you think you may be dyspraxic or have another specific learning difficulty, why not attend a Screening?

If you would like advice, please contact us.
Letting Others Know

All information provided to us is considered confidential. We would not normally disclose it. With your consent, we will contact relevant members of UEL staff to inform them of your disability and support needs. This will be done by drawing up a Learning Support Agreement with your dyslexia/disability advisor.

Thanks man. It's a shame it only mentions exam modification, and not coursework. Maybe this implies extra time is only for exams...

I am fine with meeting normal deadlines for short coursework, but as disso is such a different kettle of fish in terms of organistaion, time management, length and structure, I am really struggling!!

I have an official assessment of my dyspraxia in two weeks, so If i am officially certified, can they still refuse to give me an extension?
Reply 12
Bongboy6969
Thanks man. It's a shame it only mentions exam modification, and not coursework. Maybe this implies extra time is only for exams...

I am fine with meeting normal deadlines for short coursework, but as disso is such a different kettle of fish in terms of organistaion, time management, length and structure, I am really struggling!!

I have an official assessment of my dyspraxia in two weeks, so If i am officially certified, can they still refuse to give me an extension?

TBH i dunno, but i reckon it might be worth your while asking
I suffer from dyspraxia myself and I'd say be careful what you ask for and really consider what you actually need.
I find that my issues mainly arise when I'm under exam conditions because they are timed with so little time to write and think. Usually essay deadlines universities give are sufficient for even students with disabilities to work towards. If you find yourself asking for extensions you might actually be making your life worse because the work may pile up before you know it and yet you could have been working at a reasonable pace like everyone else including fellow learning diabled students. During my first degree I knew people who enjoyed and thrived on asking for uneccessary extensions because of their disabilities. Needless to say, they ended up graduating one year or two years later from the rest of us. If you are considering getting extensions ask yourself, do I need one? am I procastinating? am I being lazy. I know that procastination really affects me and I try to fight it. I'm due to attend a procastination workshop.
I'm in no way trying to play down your condition because I suffer from the same but I have learnt to adapt and know what works well for me and what doesn't and which areas I really need extra help with. If you really think you need extra time then maybe you really need to consider whether you are in the right course and how you will survive with deadlines in the workplace (oh I have worked professionally for the past two years, it's very fast paced, its not the academic world).
Controvertial as what I am saying may sound, I am only giving well meant advice.
oh and some students eventually dropped out when they couldn't cope with the pile of work

Latest

Trending

Trending