The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a cut, blow dry and highlights every 6 weeks at a salon run by the most amazing plumpish Italian man, he's so lovely. It costs about £30-35. Other than that I spend whatever it costs to buy Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner and my parents forked out once for my ghds, which cost a fortune.
Reply 21
£20

and that's about every 5-6 weeks. it starts looking stupid by around 7 weeks.
Reply 22
red_roadkill
Last time I had my hair done [that is, highlights, cut and blowdry etc] it cost me £77.00. Some people were quite shocked :eek: by that price. Usually I reckon I spend about £33.00 a time.

I also like using the TONI&GUY hair products because they smell sooo nice, if not a leel expensive. The funky gum is gorgeous.

Do men actually spend that much on hair or have you accidentally set your profile to male? The "blow drying" makes me suspect the latter.
Silhouette
Do men actually spend that much on hair or have you accidentally set your profile to male? The "blow drying" makes me suspect the latter.

Well it's just some guys keep their hair maintained more. It seems that in recent years, hair has become very important for guys' looks.

You either get the guys who don't go too often to the hairdressers but always have a kilo of hair gel or putty in their hair to keep it looking acceptable or the guys who will make sure it looks good by going to the hairdresser (but might still keep loads of gel in it).

I spend 20 pounds when I go every 4 weeks. It's a lot more than most of my friends but that doesn't mean the end result is any better... I have thick, unmanageable hair that seems to want to stay stuck.
I haven't been to the hairdresser's since I was about eight :smile: I get my Mum to do my hair. It's not great, but I'm not interested in looking like everyone else. I can't believe how much you guys spend on hair. I could buy a new wardrobe for that.
Reply 25
I pay £7.50 for my hair cuts and I do not need to book appointments, which is awesome as I can wonder down the road and have my hair cut. The lady who does it is really fast, so I get a hair cut which is probably just as good as any cut you get for more money and much quicker than anywhere else. There is no need to faff around with washing etc. though it does feel nice. Btw with my previous comment, I'm not digging at women, it's just they usually spend more on hair than blokes.

Just wondering, because I probably don't see it so much on an island, but do the blokes who spend s*it loads on their hair actually gel etc. it afterwards, or are you paying for hair that will stay in the same position without needing any form of treatment. I tend to just whack some gel or wax in my hair and after 10 maybe 20 seconds I'm done with hair.

If you are paying to have stupid shaved bits and bleached blocks of hair and that kind of crap, then I laugh at how well your wasting your money. If you like that kind of thing, you should be rock n roll and do it yourself, or get re-access your views on good hair.

I think nowadays, sad though it is, people try too desperately to keep up with the ever changing fashion trends. Funny although it is to watch these crappy changes in my part time job at Burtons especially, it is apparent how easily people are influenced by media etc. and try in vain to conform to these fashion trends.
Umm when i do bother it'll cost like £7.00 cos i let the students do it and my local baccarat salon. They always do a nice job. But i rarely go , it just grows and when its too long or i get split ends off it comes.
'bout £18 a pop...yay for student discounts! :biggrin:
Getting a decent cut is totally worth it. My hair was crap when my cuts cost £10, but now I pay around £35 and it's amazing.
Reply 29
i pay around £30 to get it cut n blow dryed, styled and straightened! from this place called zullo and pack, i find it quite shocking cos my hairs like down to my hip! and they do a fantastic job! :smile:
Reply 30
£10 and I think thats too expensive. It's only hair..
£5 by my mum's friend who is a professional mobile hairdresser
Reply 32
I go to Toni and Guy's and it costs me £32 in my town, and it's an absolute bargain as I've been going to them since I was 13, and in 6 years they've never given me a dodgy cut!
F. Poste
I go to Toni and Guy's and it costs me £32 in my town, and it's an absolute bargain as I've been going to them since I was 13, and in 6 years they've never given me a dodgy cut!

Toni and Guy rules. :biggrin:

I went to them for the first time in December and the person they'd booked me in with suddenly had to go home sick, so they said I could either reschedule or have my hair cut by a trainee. I really needed a cut so I went for the trainee. She took ages, and even stayed long after everyone else had gone home and then had to close up all by herself, but the cut was lovely, so I gave her a big tip. I always ask for her now. She's since qualified and costs a bit more, but she's great.
Reply 34
£8 at my current hairdresser, I wouldn't mind spending more if I could get it get exactly to the length I want it, as it is I get it cut, spend about 2-3weeks looking like a mong because its too short, and only have my hair the length I want it for about 2 weeks, ahh well, can't complain for £8 can you?
Reply 35
imasillynarb
£8 at my current hairdresser, I wouldn't mind spending more if I could get it get exactly to the length I want it, as it is I get it cut, spend about 2-3weeks looking like a mong because its too short, and only have my hair the length I want it for about 2 weeks, ahh well, can't complain for £8 can you?

lol, i ve got similar problem. hate it when he cuts too short. But i pay 11 quid now. Two months ago it was 9.hehe
I have a hair stylist who cuts my hair and all that for me. I say what I want and she does it exactly. She also says what could look good on me cut wise. She goes through how I should look after my cut and what I can do with the style I've choosen for when I want to go out or have it so it looks slightly different. Best thing is thats she's such a good friend of the family that she doesn't charge me anything for it all :biggrin: . This thread has reminded me that I need to go back for a cut soon though, hehe.
Reply 37
mies £10 does it exactly how i want it does round the back with the cut throat razor(so nice) and then i use either American Crew forming cream quite expensive so only buy if im feeling rich, or if im on a budget i use dax wave and groom (strongest stuff on earth)
Mine costs about £25, which i think is a really good price. I have been with the hairdresser that does it for about the last 5 years and shes never given me a bad cut, she does my mums hair too and never given her a bad cut either. I have always, as far as i can remember gone to the same hairdressing salon. I spend quite a lot of hair products though, i use a lot of the tigi bed hed/fashionista range. I like having hair salon smelling hair!! :rolleyes:
Reply 39
I've got long hair with a swept fringe and just a few layers so no one ever really notices when i get it cut. plus i only have really subtle highlights put in, so people hardly notice that either.

doesn't stop me from getting it done every 5-6 weeks and paying £76 for highlights and £48 for cut and blowdry :redface:. BUT my hair is very important to me, i take fantastic care with it and it's in such good condition people always tell me i should be in shampoo ads :smile:.

It's worth spending a bit more to have healthy happy shiny locks :biggrin:

Latest