The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did EDEXCEL. It's not that bad. Having a good writing style is imperative, so you can express yourself clearly. I'd recommend it. :smile:
Reply 2
ocr was brill. well worth it. nt sure bout ure board tho
Reply 3
Micky, I take it you just finished Year 9?
Reply 4
Xanthe
I did EDEXCEL. It's not that bad. Having a good writing style is imperative, so you can express yourself clearly. I'd recommend it. :smile:

Ditto RE Edexcel - Basically get your head around source analysis, write lucidly and its a walk in the park (he says, with the benefit of a hell of a lot of hindsight).
Reply 5
whauden
Ditto RE Edexcel - Basically get your head around source analysis, write lucidly and its a walk in the park

Says the boy who's going to Oxford :biggrin: :wink:
Reply 6
GCSE history was feckin brilliant.i did all the stuff bout medicine, was wel interesting, the only subject i actually enjoyed :smile:
I did ccea gcse 2 years ago. I thought it was okay-I did the Germany, Ireland/ Britain in ww2 and the Cold War courses with my coursework on the Holocaust, though Ireland was very dull reading. Once you get the hang of timing in your papers most of the questions are very repetitive and so it becomes easy enough to revise for. Though my sister nearly had a nervous breakdown before her gcse this year due to the sheer amount of work she had to do.
If you really love history do it. If not take geography which is, to quote my friend's teacher, a "passable subject" even at a-level. (BTW I found my A2 history course easier than GCSE- but then AS nearly killed me!)
Reply 8
Maireleghra
I did ccea gcse 2 years ago. I thought it was okay-I did the Germany, Ireland/ Britain in ww2 and the Cold War courses with my coursework on the Holocaust, though Ireland was very dull reading. Once you get the hang of timing in your papers most of the questions are very repetitive and so it becomes easy enough to revise for. Though my sister nearly had a nervous breakdown before her gcse this year due to the sheer amount of work she had to do.
If you really love history do it. If not take geography which is, to quote my friend's teacher, a "passable subject" even at a-level. (BTW I found my A2 history course easier than GCSE- but then AS nearly killed me!)

yea thats what im doing, about ireland and the cold war and ww2. :smile:
Reply 9
Xanthe
Micky, I take it you just finished Year 9?

well i live in NI so i have just finished yr 10 and going in2 yr 11 this yr. y?
I did OCR Modern World history and I really enjoyed it. I didn't find it particularly difficult, but it is a lot of work. I did the League of Nations, Nazi Germany and Britain for exams, plus source-based coursework on the Russain Revolution. If you have a good memory and are good at writing essays, you'll be fine :smile:
GCSE history is fine, really. As my old history teacher would say, though, there is no substitute for knowledge...make sure you know your facts :smile:
Reply 12
Xanthe
Says the boy who's going to Oxford :biggrin: :wink:

Don't tempt fate - still need the grades!

Seriously though, I did 1 days revision for History GCSE, its not hard.....
Reply 13
I did AQA... i did coursework on Ireland, coursework on local churches, and exams on Medicene through Time and the American West,

American West was the BEST topic i've ever done. It was just so interesting! Cowboys and indians... fun!
Reply 14
I've just finished my GCSE History and I am awaiting my exam result. I would definiately recommend it as it teaches valuable skills such as source analysis and essay writing - it could help you build on the type of skills developed in GCSE English or provide something different if you're doing subjects such Expressive Arts. I would advice you to check what the course involves though as History has lots of breath, so ensure you're studying a period you are interested in. We did Britain in WW1, International Relations between the wars and about the cold war. We also looked at the role of Germany and America for Paper 2. Coursework was on evacuation and vietnam.

It is a very factual based subject and simular questions seem to come up every year e.g. description, causation, considering the importance of two events to see which was the most importantfactor in causing...'' etc.

Also - learn to time your exam and try to start this as early as possible in year 10. As it is essay based, there is plenty of oppotunity to waffle - I didn't finish my History papers because of writing too much, so not having time to finish. Exam technique is very important, so I would advise you to practise and not make the same mistakes I did.
mikeski
was/ it hard? any exam board, im doing CCEEA but i wanna no just in general :biggrin:

Doesn't matter just do it
Reply 16
mikeski
was/ it hard? any exam board, im doing CCEEA but i wanna no just in general :biggrin:

I found the subject to be somewhat of a synch; but then, it harnessed (for the most part) logical and analytical faculties that were in me inculcated beforehand. Assuming that one is yet to have honed such skills to knife-like acuity, however, then one shall be liable to encounter at least a modicum of difficulty; assessment criteria for GCSE History marry the analytical and argumentative pre-requisites demanded of like-prospected English Literature students, with a rote-learning constituent exceeded only (in my experience) by the AQA Biology syllabus. Indeed, latter aside, it was the one subject respecting which some degree of studied memorisation and recollection [inasmuch as to constitute revision] seemed unavoidable; that is, at least, were I to entertain hopes of reconcilng my prediction with reality.

Is History GCSE "hard"? Within the skills remit of the arts/humanities spectrum, my verdict: indubitably; in respect of its academic particulars (both qualitatively and quantitively), it is arguably the most demanding. Unless one's verbal reasoning is up to scratch, one might sooner find favour with Geography (or any one of a number of less rigorous alternatives).
Profesh
I found the subject to be somewhat of a synch; but then, it harnessed (for the most part) logical and analytical faculties that were in me inculcated beforehand. Assuming that one is yet to have honed such skills to knife-like acuity, however, then one shall be liable to encounter at least a modicum of difficulty; assessment criteria for GCSE History marry the analytical and argumentative pre-requisites demanded of like-prospected English Literature students, with a rote-learning constituent exceeded only (in my experience) by the AQA Biology syllabus. Indeed, latter aside, it was the one subject respecting which some degree of studied memorisation and recollection [inasmuch as to constitute revision] seemed unavoidable; that is, at least, were I to entertain hopes of reconcilng my prediction with reality.

Is History GCSE "hard"? Within the skills remit of the arts/humanities spectrum, my verdict: indubitably; in respect of its academic particulars (both qualitatively and quantitively), it is arguably the most demanding. Unless one's verbal reasoning is up to scratch, one might sooner find favour with Geography (or any one of a number of less rigorous alternatives).

Lol - that's the kind of English everyone should be made to talk
Reply 18
Profesh

Translation: I found it to be easy, but then again I already had the abilities needed to do well in the exam. Of course, it was the one subject that needed memorization.

Is it hard? Of course it is; it's demanding. If you suck and blow at verbal (or don't understand what I've written here) then take Geography.

YAY my warning level is down to 2
fairly accurate summary

Latest

Trending

Trending