The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Each year we have around 26 oxbridge offer holders and 150-175 students in total.
It's a minor public school.

For 05 entry we did quite bad (compare to previous years I mean), we only got 19 places.

But the Chinese in the year above were all strong applicants. 10(or 11? not sure) of them applied Oxbridge and 8 got in, which was really impressive!
Reply 81
You're at Charterhouse I take it...
Reply 82
leavemealone
I implied my comments were cheap because I did include my noting of your 'vaguely readable' comment, a criterion your post more than fulfilled. So I've already answered this.

Yeah, no worries. I just wanted to emphasise my irritation at maze and his ilk, coz it seems he needs things spelt out for him very clearly!
H&E
Oh dear...I'll repeat myself, even though I posted this about six seconds ago:

I just get annoyed with people who don't have the curtesy to write in English which is vaguely readable before posting all over the forum. Particularly when they're asking for advice/help.

Ok master from now on, i will write the same way a servent would for his king :biggrin:
H&E
You're at Charterhouse I take it...

:rolleyes:
Reply 85
State grammar -- of about 100 in the year we got 2/4 Oxford and 0/1 Cambridge.
Last year I know we got 1 (Cambridge) -- we usually get 0-3.
Reply 86
About a fifth of my 100 or so peers got into Oxbridge, with an equal weighing between the two institutions. It was a larger number than usual, because more people applied that year.
Reply 87
maze.e
Ok master from now on, i will write the same way a servent would for his king :biggrin:

see, the thing is, you only needed to read THAT post once to comprehend it :biggrin:

you're not the only one maze.e, a lot of people don't realise that, although something may make sense in your head, it won't translate in the same way when written down. so you need to make sure when posting (regardless of who is reading) that you include things like punctuation, and check spellings, like the differences between accept/except, and such. you might know the difference, but we get confused. we can't read your mind :smile:
priya
see, the thing is, you only needed to read THAT post once to comprehend it :biggrin:

you're not the only one maze.e, a lot of people don't realise that, although something may make sense in your head, it won't translate in the same way when written down. so you need to make sure when posting (regardless of who is reading) that you include things like punctuation, and check spellings, like the differences between accept/except, and such. you might know the difference, but we get confused. we can't read your mind :smile:

thank you i did not really think of that before. It is my fault i appologize to everyone, i should think about the reader more. From now i am a changed man :biggrin:
Reply 89
I went to a state school, although I don't think it counts strictly as a comprehensive as it's one of those City Technology College whatsits that has permission to choose a proportion of their students based on their aptitude for technology. They don't seem to choose very wisely, though.

The year before mine several people applied and only 1 got in, in my year 2/3 got into Cambridge (but the one who wasn't me fluked it somehow I reckon, he missed his offer by a lot) and 0/1 got into Oxford because he had really poor GCSEs. Which is a bit of a bastard. I think he should've gotten in.

Edit: we had about 100 people a year in the sixth form. I also know of one person who left in Year 11 to go to a fancy selective place somewhere who got an offer from Oxford.
Reply 90
In my year, me :smile: We seem to average about 1 a year going to Oxbridge, of around 2 applying. It used to be slightly higher (around 2 a year) but the schools gone a little downhill in the last couple of years, so I've heard. It's a pretty normal state comp, used to be quite a nice school but since the old head left apparently it's not been the same.
xx_ambellina_xx
Certainly wasn't the teachers, as you know.

For two of my subjects, I didn't even *have* teachers..make that three if you count history...so erm, well...I guess I did it myself. Hell, I'll home educate my children :p: Make 'em read books!

I rather meant the the teachers you've had all throughout your schooling, not just the ones you have (or not) had at A Level. Don't mean to be rude but education is a long term endeavour not just two years! I didn't have a German teacher for six months nor a history teacher for four, so I can empathise with your situation (which I know well enough :redface: ). Getting your children to read books is a good start- the fundamental grounding that makes school almost irrelevant. Start a child off on his/her own and they'll do alright, it's what happened to me :rolleyes:
Reply 92
maze.e
hey people how much people from your last school was accepted into oxbridge i am going to a sixform next year and from that sixform 3 people was excepted into oxbridge 2 cambridge 1 oxford what about u guys?

In my year (state sixth form) of around 90 people, 6 of us applied to Cambridge, 3 of us got in. I person applied to Oxford but he got rejected.
In my school, I was the only person to get an Oxbridge offer in 2 years, and I think only about 3 or 4 people from all the Glasgow state schools get an offer per year. This is partially due to the quality of education, but also it's relatively unusual for people to apply to Oxbridge from Scotland.
Reply 94
Woostarite
Woah! 40?!
Does anyone know which school holds the title of highest number of pupils with Oxbridge acceptances?

in terms of % total students it was fairly unremarkable though, especially compared to some of the london public schools! :wink:

in terms of sheer numbers i imagine Hills Road Cambridge is the highest - 50-60 or so a year?

but that said, i do appreciate the fact i went to a very good 6th form. :smile:
Reply 95
Elles

in terms of sheer numbers i imagine Hills Road Cambridge is the highest - 50-60 or so a year?

67 in my year, in a year of about 700
(I didn't go there, but I know loads of people that did)
Reply 96
did you go to the perse school then? they seem to be pretty good for getting people into camb as well
Reply 97
ARGH NO

upon going to Oxford, when people find out you're from Cambridge, they'll ask if you went to Hills Road, and whether you know person x. You respond that you didn't, so they'll ask if you went to the Perse, and if you know person y.

I went to the other one

(the Perse gets loads of people into Ox/Cam, but they're smaller - there are two of them an' all)
Reply 98
I went to a state school.

1/8 got into Cambridge
2/4 got into Oxford
oriel historian
I rather meant the the teachers you've had all throughout your schooling, not just the ones you have (or not) had at A Level. Don't mean to be rude but education is a long term endeavour not just two years! I didn't have a German teacher for six months nor a history teacher for four, so I can empathise with your situation (which I know well enough :redface: ). Getting your children to read books is a good start- the fundamental grounding that makes school almost irrelevant. Start a child off on his/her own and they'll do alright, it's what happened to me :rolleyes:

Well, then, the situation was much the same at GCSE. I taught myself 4 GCSEs. My year 7, 8 and 9 teacher almost put me right off history for life, I never had any encouragement from the music department, at all...So erm, it's a long term thing. I was pointing out the extreme examples, but it's a pattern throughout my schooling.

Latest

Trending

Trending