The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cardine92
Yes but that's the point. Homeopathic remedies at their "highest potencies" do not even contain any molecules of the original substance which themselves aren't even proven to work. Essentially, they are just water, or sugar pills so of course they are not going to do any harm. All they are is a very expensive placebo which if a patient is willing to pay for, fair enough but the NHS should be spending its money on medicines that actually exist are scientifically proven to work. Aromatherapy has an effect because the substances involved actually physically exist.

Really? i take peppermint capsules for my IBS, and have been given some medicine from the NHS but this is the most effective- it's a homeopathic treatment! Last time i checked peppermint oil existed

Scientifically homeopathy hasn't got a leg to stand on- but if the patient wants to try it, or finds it works- we cannot question that!
Reply 41
Onychophagia
The BBC have started letting lunatics like this on.

What next?

“but for the sake of balance, we must now turn to Barry, who believes the sky is a carpet painted by god.”

What a convincing argument she puts forward...

what the hell - how the bloody **** did you get unconditonal for medicine in TWO places - is it because your on gap year and already have the grades or something :confused:
Reply 42
Subcutaneous
Really? i take peppermint capsules for my IBS, and have been given some medicine from the NHS but this is the most effective- it's a homeopathic treatment! Last time i checked peppermint oil existed

Scientifically homeopathy hasn't got a leg to stand on- but if the patient wants to try it, or finds it works- we cannot question that!

That can certainly be questioned.
Thank you for reminding me exactly why I'll never buy a TV licence and stick to the utopia that is 4OD
Subcutaneous
As much as I agree homeopathy alone as a 'cure' has many errors- HOWEVER, there have been many many many reports of it being used ALONGSIDE traditional medicine to aid symptoms and provide relief. One massive example is the use of aromatherapy during a natural birth- midwives can now train in aromatherapy! If the patient is finding it helps, then your job is to accept that and support them, it's natural ingredients so won't kill them!

I was going to write why homeopathy ≠ alternative medicine, but heidigirl has already written a beautifully comprehensive post that covers everything I could possibly say.

But as to your last sentence, let me just assure you that you are wrong. It is not your job as a nurse or any other health care professional employed by the NHS to act as a supporter for whatever's in vogue at the minute.

Woody.
What do you make of the cases that have had an effect? Purely placebo?

Several reasons, in my opinion:

The majority of people who turn to homeopaths are hypochondriacs. There's nothing to cure, but because they're getting sympathy and treatment they feel better.

Most of these treatments are damned expensive. Nobody likes to feel they have wasted their money, so are inclined to believe something's helping even if they know it isn't really.

The majority of homeopaths are very good salesmen. They wouldn't have a job if they weren't. They can be very convincing, which is obviously going to have some effect.

These can all fit under the term of the placebo effect I guess, but it's a lot more complex than just a general placebo.

TwentyTen
Makes sense now, before you spelled "psychics" as "physics" ... I was like: "Is you crazy? :smile:

Yeah, it's a common spelling mistake of mine to mix up physics and psychics, rather embarrassingly. :colondollar:
Reply 45
Woody.
My personal view is that even though it's not 100% scientifically proven and tight it doesn't mean it should be rejected outright.

It's not even 1% scientifically proven, so yes it should be rejected outright for wasting NHS money
The BBC is also reporting that Gordon Brown beats up his employees, they say it so it must be true.
Subcutaneous
Last time i checked peppermint oil existed

Not in the doses you get from homeopathic medicine. How are you not getting this?

What the ****? Seriously, are you now taking the piss?

We can't question what a patient wants? So if there's a patient suffering from lung cancer and wants to take cigarettes for it, we can't question that? If there's a patient who wants to get a brand new drug for their condition which has been proven to be ineffective and costly in a medical journal we can't advise them against it?

Don't act so stupidly. And you wonder why medics on here laugh at you with posts like that.
Reply 48
Subcutaneous
As much as I agree homeopathy alone as a 'cure' has many errors- HOWEVER, there have been many many many reports of it being used ALONGSIDE traditional medicine to aid symptoms and provide relief. One massive example is the use of aromatherapy during a natural birth- midwives can now train in aromatherapy! If the patient is finding it helps, then your job is to accept that and support them, it's natural ingredients so won't kill them!

Aromatherapy is not the same as homeopathy. It is aromatherapy. Nor is peppermint oil/water/capsules (which I actually prescribe from time to time). It is a herbal remedy. I've no idea if aromatherapy is actually effective, but if it makes people more relaxed then that can only be a good thing. There are quite a few herbal remedies that do have proven clinical effect. There are probably even more that do bugger all except make Holland and Barrett rich, but don't forget that plenty of mainstream drugs started out as herbal medicines.

Homeopathy is a different kettle of fish, with a different theory behind it.

As for "if it's natural it can't do any harm," try telling that to someone who's ODd on aspirin/belladonna (atropine)/digitalis (digoxin)...

Personally, if people want to spend their money on wacky stuff, I'm happy to let them, as long as it doesn't interact with their proper medication (which plenty of herbal meds do), and that they aren't fed lies about the amount of evidence to support it. I really don't think, in these days of NICE etc, that we should be wasting my tax money on it.
Phalanges

We can't question what a patient wants? So if there's a patient suffering from lung cancer and wants to take cigarettes for it, we can't question that? If there's a patient who wants to get a brand new drug for their condition which has been proven to be ineffective and costly in a medical journal we can't advise them against it?

If a patient with lung cancer wanted to carry on smoking, i'd gently offer the new leaf programme- but if you harrass, question- it'll never happen! It's the patient who controls what they take, and when- not you. You can throw leaflets or information at them all they want but if thats what they decide, thats what they decide
Reply 50
Basically what Helenia said with bells on. Especially the "homeopathy and aromatherapy not being the same thing" thing! Homeopathy and aromatherapy are both examples of alternative medicine but they're not the same!

Isn't it fascinating how threads in medicine evolve.
Reply 51
"Getting Well" This is a page off the woman's website, where she shares her "simplistic view of health and disease"...look at the lists for Toxicity and Deficiency. Wow.

She also refused a scan from the hospital which gave her conventional treatment to prove that homeopathy had cured her, according to another bit of her website. If she believes it works and is happy well fine, but she can't go around toting it on publically funded television to people who could easily be vulnerable and happy to fork over their money because of it.
Reply 52
I really reccommend reading Ben Goldacre's book 'bad science' if you wanna know the lies behind the homeopathy. For example did you know that their most potent rememdies ( which is i believe at a dilution of 200C) you would theoretically have to go through more atoms than there are in the universe just to find your original substance.

When homeopaths were asked this a few decades back they came up with the ingenious solution that water had memory so it could "remember" the properties of the original substance that was inside it. Curiously enough water has been recycled so many times ( the water you drink has been drunk by at least 6 people before you) that feasibly then you could drink plain old water because it most likely has come into contact with the healing substance at one point since the creation of water on the planet.

of course the homeopaths are quick to retort that it only remembers the substance they put in because of the very strange methods they use to dilute it (i.e shaking it anti-clockwise 12 times as someone before me has said, a process which they call "proving" ). when asked how these methods let the water remember it they flatly say they don't know but since it works there can be no argument.

another trait of homeopaths is that they have an uncanny ability to play down/refuse to believe all scientific trials that disregard it's uses, but the minute a trial turns up giving positive results (which is rarely) they immediately jump on it as "proof" of their methods. the woman in the video was pretty stupid to attribute her (most likely) "remission" of cancerous tumours to homeopathy. there will be always be people that miraculously survive against the odd despite having no hope of living.

I also lol'd when she stutter about using the phrase "scientific....errr evidence" :biggrin:
Subcutaneous

If there's any actual peppermint in those capsules than it's not homeopathic, it's then a legitimate treatment. Homeopathy would be just sugar.

If the patient wants to try it - it is the duty of any clinician to facilitate informed choice and the patient should be fully aware that it's just sugar or water and can't work.
Subcutaneous

Peppermint oil is not a homeopathic remedy, it's herbal. Herbal remedies contain some sort of active ingredient but homeopathic ones have been diluted, the potency 30C for example means that there is one molecule of the substance for every 10^30 molecules of water. That is what supposedly makes it effective, apparantly the more dilute it is the stronger it is. Peppermint oil is just peppermint oil, so maybe... 20% actual peppermint.
Reply 55
Homeopothy is basically water, correct?
Reply 56
Fat-Love
I really reccommend reading Ben Goldacre's book 'bad science' if you wanna know the lies behind the homeopathy. For example did you know that their most potent rememdies ( which is i believe at a dilution of 200C) you would theoretically have to go through more atoms than there are in the universe just to find your original substance.

When homeopaths were asked this a few decades back they came up with the ingenious solution that water had memory so it could "remember" the properties of the original substance that was inside it. Curiously enough water has been recycled so many times ( the water you drink has been drunk by at least 6 people before you) that feasibly then you could drink plain old water because it most likely has come into contact with the healing substance at one point since the creation of water on the planet.

of course the homeopaths are quick to retort that it only remembers the substance they put in because of the very strange methods they use to dilute it (i.e shaking it anti-clockwise 12 times as someone before me has said, a process which they call "proving" ). when asked how these methods let the water remember it they flatly say they don't know but since it works there can be no argument.

another trait of homeopaths is that they have an uncanny ability to play down/refuse to believe all scientific trials that disregard it's uses, but the minute a trial turns up giving positive results (which is rarely) they immediately jump on it as "proof" of their methods. the woman in the video was pretty stupid to attribute her (most likely) "remission" of cancerous tumours to homeopathy. there will be always be people that miraculously survive against the odd despite having no hope of living.

I also lol'd when she stutter about using the phrase "scientific....errr evidence" :biggrin:

I saw a horizon doc a few years ago on it, it sounds like noneseanse.
cardine92
Peppermint oil is not a homeopathic remedy, it's herbal. Herbal remedies contain some sort of active ingredient but homeopathic ones have been diluted, the potency 30C for example means that there is one molecule of the substance for every 10^30 molecules of water. That is what supposedly makes it effective, apparantly the more dilute it is the stronger it is. Peppermint oil is just peppermint oil, so maybe... 20% actual peppermint.

damn holland and barratr for telling me its homeopathic lol
Reply 58
Subcutaneous

Its workng, don't complain. :tongue:
My friend buys lactate enzyme from there I think.
Subcutaneous

I used to think homeopathy could work myself until I found out what it is :p: I confused homeopathy with herbal medicines, suppliments and all the other stuff you find in a health shop. Some of it is pretty good, my mum bought this cream called Calendula (sp?) for a really bad graze all up my arm and I'm telling you, in less than 20 minutes the scabs had gone. Vanished.

Latest

Trending

Trending