The Student Room Group

Football Vs Rugby? Is It Boys Vs Men??

Don't take this too seriously but I'm just curious as to that question. I like football an I love rugby. I think I'd enjoy watching football more if they didn't fall over so much. I find it embarrassing. If my Dad had ever caught a glimpse of me falling over because someone tapped my foot he'd forever take the piss, so would my girlfriend.

Rugby 1 Football 0

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, its state school vs private.
I enjoy watching only international rugby because it gets me all psyched more than a good football match and I don't watch club rugby.
I like playing rugby and football but with mates obviously we only play football.
Reply 3
Have you not been watching rugby recently? They fling themselves to the ground as easily as any footballer now, especially when they have hit an up 'n' under and after grubbers.
have you seen Stoke play football? :holmes:
This thread = lol
Reply 6
interesting sport vs crap sport.

Rugby just doesn't seem to require alot of skill.
Reply 7
Rugby is much, much better. I prefer their player's physique too... :sogood:
Reply 8
talon1579
No, its state school vs private.

i'm was in a state school and i prefer rugby union.
Reply 9
Don't wathc rugby, do watch football. However I'm forced to accept that, whilst Blatter keeps illegally re-electing himself and Platini has some power, the sport wil lremain archaic and in the Dark Ages and is a bit of embarrassment.

When a sporting result is determined by something outside 'the one who scores most wins', there is a critical and fundamental problem.
Reply 10
depends if we're talking about wallets...
Reply 11
Dado Prso

Rugby just doesn't seem to require alot of skill.

I guess you haven't had the opportunity to play much Rugby then. From the outside it may look as though its a game of "give the big bloke the ball and let him run" but the different skills a player has to learn are immense.

e.g. effective running/evading, correct tackling technique (VERY IMPORTANT), rucks, mauls, kicking, passing both ways, passing accurately over distance etc. Mostly all whilst running at a fair speed too.

However i will say that if you have no idea about the breakdown area/scrums then watching it on t.v. will be boring because it'll just look like a massive fight for the ball.

And about the football = state school, rugby = private. Doesn't really work that way any more. I'm from a state school and i've managed to play rugby at a decent level.
Football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans. Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.
Reply 13
Phalanges
Football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans. Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen.

lol that is actually so true
Football requires skill and talent, Rugby requires fat and pace.
Reply 15
lol that is actually so true

Not always though is it? Have u hearrd of eye gouging?
Reply 16
Helikaon
I guess you haven't had the opportunity to play much Rugby then. From the outside it may look as though its a game of "give the big bloke the ball and let him run" but the different skills a player has to learn are immense.

e.g. effective running/evading, correct tackling technique (VERY IMPORTANT), rucks, mauls, kicking, passing both ways, passing accurately over distance etc. Mostly all whilst running at a fair speed too.

However i will say that if you have no idea about the breakdown area/scrums then watching it on t.v. will be boring because it'll just look like a massive fight for the ball.

And about the football = state school, rugby = private. Doesn't really work that way any more. I'm from a state school and i've managed to play rugby at a decent level.

Like I said there isn't as much skill as there is in football, especially at amateur level. Your list isn't great when you compare it to a footballers list.

I could stroll into my rugby school team in a few weeks without having played it before. No one from the rugby team could do the same with football.
Reply 17
Dado Prso
Like I said there isn't as much skill as there is in football, especially at amateur level. Your list isn't great when you compare it to a footballers list.

I could stroll into my rugby school team in a few weeks without having played it before. No one from the rugby team could do the same with football.

To be honest, I quite agree with this guy. I played football for the Liverpool youth team until I was 12 and seriously damaged my knee. My teacher then asked if I'd like to try rugby as our (state) school was trying to set up a rugby team. Within 2 years I was playing for Lancashire and one other from my school followed this path. I was then offered professional terms but my body just couldn't hold up.

So whilst really enjoying rugby and appreciating the abilities and skill sets of the players, it is much more about being an 'athlete' than football. This is especially true when you consider that a lot of wingers are now 6ft '3+ and centres are 16 stone+.

(Oh and the reason I was asked to play rugby is because at the age of 12 I was 6ft '2 and could run the 100m in around 11.5 seconds. I had neither the aggression nor the mindset required for rugby before I actually played it.)
its girls Vs men, apart from when there are real injuries such as the one in the stoke arsenal match the other weekend

Versus

I think the answer is clear.

Quick Reply

Latest