The Student Room Group

Football Vs Rugby? Is It Boys Vs Men??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Awesome-o
And don't get me started on the scum. What a bizarre forced formation that is. If they got rid of it rugby union would be much better. Inevitably they will have to be reset 3 times before proceeding.

ಠ_ಠ

The scrum's a beautiful thing, and if refs learn the rules (none of them know them) it'd be a far more entertaining thing to watch. If you get rid of the scrum you get rid of the single biggest momentum shifter in the game.
Reply 181
Rugby isn't as commercial as football is so one isn't making even comparisons i.e. the stakes in football make cheating more rewarding, if rugby was as commericial and popular as football then who knows....Having said that rugby does have cheating, the fake blood cheating scandal was as well thought out as any dive I've ever seen in football in a split second. One of the worse cases of violence I've seen was the rugby player punching his opponent in the face (he plays for England and is brown skinned, that's all I know of him)

To summarise, cheating will increase with financial stakes in any sport.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
One of the worse cases of violence I've seen was the rugby player punching his opponent in the face (he plays for England and is brown skinned, that's all I know of him)

A good bit of handbagging every now and then is essential to the game of rugby :wink:
Reply 183
Agree with all of that, I've been to a ton of rugby matches (coincidentally, most recently Saints vs Leicester) and they're really friendly places to be. Fans sit next to fans of opponents, share jokes, chat and everything like that but it's all with a smile on your face. About the police, I can't ever recall seeing many. Obviously there's some (there's thousands of people at every match, obviously things happen occasionally) but they're not visible at all.
I enjoy watching both sports, however, football is my preferred sport!

Most of the criticisms of football can also be applied to rugby and vice versa.
Reply 185
Yes I am, yourself?
The only reason footballers 'fall to ground easily' is so they can gain an unfair advantage. I fail to see how this has anything to do with toughness or manliness.
If he honestly thinks that Drogba isn't falling down easily on purpose, then he's an idiot.
Reply 188
Original post by internet tough guy
The only reason footballers 'fall to ground easily' is so they can gain an unfair advantage. I fail to see how this has anything to do with toughness or manliness.

It means that typically they're not willing to assert dominance, which is not particularly manly. A similar thing happens in basketball (which I understand far more than football), where many players 'flop' but some don't as they find it's better to assert dominance.
Original post by Mufasaa
It means that typically they're not willing to assert dominance, which is not particularly manly. A similar thing happens in basketball (which I understand far more than football), where many players 'flop' but some don't as they find it's better to assert dominance.

Assert dominance over what? and hows that going to benefit your team as opposed to say, winning a penalty?

The same footballers who dive about can be strong - they just choose not to sometimes in order to gain an advantage. I've seen it on numerous occasions, for example look at Drogba's goal against Spurs in the FA cup semi final when defender was right behind him and yet he still managed to turn round him and take a shot. And then a few days later when Chelsea were playing Barcelona, he was diving all over the place, pretending to be injured nearly everytime he went to ground.
Lampard has an IQ of 150, whats your point?
Original post by Mess.
To be honest, I quite agree with this guy. I played football for the Liverpool youth team until I was 12 and seriously damaged my knee. My teacher then asked if I'd like to try rugby as our (state) school was trying to set up a rugby team. Within 2 years I was playing for Lancashire and one other from my school followed this path. I was then offered professional terms but my body just couldn't hold up.

So whilst really enjoying rugby and appreciating the abilities and skill sets of the players, it is much more about being an 'athlete' than football. This is especially true when you consider that a lot of wingers are now 6ft '3+ and centres are 16 stone+.

(Oh and the reason I was asked to play rugby is because at the age of 12 I was 6ft '2 and could run the 100m in around 11.5 seconds. I had neither the aggression nor the mindset required for rugby before I actually played it.)

dat momentum, you could of ended the sports careers of so many kids.
Reply 192
Original post by internet tough guy
Assert dominance over what? and hows that going to benefit your team as opposed to say, winning a penalty?

The same footballers who dive about can be strong - they just choose not to sometimes in order to gain an advantage. I've seen it on numerous occasions, for example look at Drogba's goal against Spurs in the FA cup semi final when defender was right behind him and yet he still managed to turn round him and take a shot. And then a few days later when Chelsea were playing Barcelona, he was diving all over the place, pretending to be injured nearly everytime he went to ground.

If you show that you can be clattered and carry on it'll have an effect on defenders, making them know it's hard to tackle you and one-upping them mentally, as well as possibly hurting them a bit and making them less willing to go after you. Would you rather you did a cracking tackle on someone and they carried with the ball on using skill and strength, showing that they can overcome you, or that they fell over and got themselves a free-kick?

Players like Drogba have the skill and/or strength to overcome pretty much any defender but they don't, and look for the cheap way out.
Original post by Mufasaa
If you show that you can be clattered and carry on it'll have an effect on defenders, making them know it's hard to tackle you and one-upping them mentally, as well as possibly hurting them a bit and making them less willing to go after you. Would you rather you did a cracking tackle on someone and they carried with the ball on using skill and strength, showing that they can overcome you, or that they fell over and got themselves a free-kick?

Players like Drogba have the skill and/or strength to overcome pretty much any defender but they don't, and look for the cheap way out.

Depends, if they're in a good goal scoring opportunity, I'd rather they'd just fall over from my tackle and get a free-kick.

Anyway, the cheap way out is often the most beneficial option for their team. I really don't see how much of an 'intimidating' factor in what you've said about being able to not fall down easily. Like I said, everybody knows that players like Drogba are doing it on purpose, you see them get up and the next minute they're manhanding 3 defenders at the same time. Besides, falling down easily and exagerrating injuries can also work in discouraging defenders from tackling you or be too aggressive because otherwise they'll end up conceding a free kick/penalty and possibly get booked as well.
The reason why rubgy players don't engage in the same theatrics that footballer players do is because there is no tactical advantage in doing so, whereas there is in football. I don't get why so many people fail to see this.
depends on if your talking league or union
Reply 196
This whole thread is an embarrassment to both sets of fans.
Reply 197
Rugby is more compteting but football brings you the more action.
Reply 198
[quote=levantinex

What was it about my post that you disagreed with?
Reply 199
Original post by Rinsed

Versus

I think the answer is clear.

Is that real or fake blood, with rugby you never know if its real or not.

Quick Reply

Latest