The Student Room Group

Foreign office placement scheme now open!

Scroll to see replies

Lolaface
i checked it. thanks. i wouldnt have checked it if i didnt come on student room today. i was waiting for an email
im so scared about the test now. yeh alot of practise is needed. im looking for websites that offer that now.

I wonder if this message they will be sending about the tests will be via email or whether that will be online too.

I barely scraped a B on an intermediate maths paper at GCSE, so my talents at numerical stuff are severely limited. There are quite a few that do offer practice etc. I hear it's a lot about percentages etc. what on earth does 'diagrammatic analysis' test mean though?!
Reply 21
Formerly LieDown
I wonder if this message they will be sending about the tests will be via email or whether that will be online too.

I barely scraped a B on an intermediate maths paper at GCSE, so my talents at numerical stuff are severely limited. There are quite a few that do offer practice etc. I hear it's a lot about percentages etc. what on earth does 'diagrammatic analysis' test mean though?!

I wonder as well. they did send a confirmation email when we completed the application form, so i guess they will send out something on monday.

got a B as well on intermediate maths. I'm so crap when it comes to calculating, so i need to brush up on that. just tried an online test and yeh it seems its about percentages, ratio, area, mass etc All the stuff that has basically left my mind the moment i finished my GCSE maths paper :frown:
The tests i practised were on a website called 'profiling for success'. My uni's career service has an account on it.

this should hopefully give you an idea on what each test is about
http://www.profilingforsuccess.com/preparing_for_tests.doc
from what i seen, diagrammatic seems to be looking at shapes and figuring out which group a shape goes into.
Reply 22
the fast stream use this practise test as well http://practicetests.cubiks.com/
and their advice on it http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/Assets/OnlineTestsAdvice_tcm6-5163.pdf
Me too :biggrin:
Well done! Good luck *scurries off to try and remember how to do maths*
Lolaface
the fast stream use this practise test as well http://practicetests.cubiks.com/
and their advice on it http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/Assets/OnlineTestsAdvice_tcm6-5163.pdf

Thanks for all this, this is great! I was having a look myself yesterday and failed miserably on a numerical test, but got full marks on a verbal, which I guess indicates where my strengths and weaknesses are!

Everywhere you go they tell you something a little different so it's great that the civil service has got it's own guidance.

It's difficult though, because I've got so much uni work to do that I don't want to be wasting unnecessary time practising for these tests if they aren't going to be for 2 weeks etc, but if they suddenly email and they're tomorrow or something, I'd like to know so I can get revising!

Lemon_Lyman
Me too :biggrin:
Well done! Good luck *scurries off to try and remember how to do maths*

Well done!! :biggrin: Ugh yeah, maths is the bane of my life and I thought I'd ditched any use of it at GCSE! Oh well

Has anyone had any communication from them about the tests yet? Maybe I'm being impatient and they haven't told everyone they have/haven't got through yet.

If (pretty big IF for me if I don't re-learn maths) we get through these tests, is that it, or will they ask for an interview? It just says 'candidates who are successful at this stage (the application form) will be asked to take an online test' but doesn't mention what happens afterwards.
Got an email from them. Ahhh, all sounds so scary!!

Ok so we have a week from the date we are emailed them. That's alright.

And they are using Saville consulting which is great because I did a verbal test with them the other day and I got full marks, so at least I know I am good at the kind of verbal test they will be setting. But the website's really rubbish and I can't get on the diagrammatic or numerical ones!
Reply 26
failed miserably as well on numerical as well and did well on verbal so thats what i need practising on.
didnt do so well with the diagrammatic one as well
how do you get onto the saville consulting tests? Saw the email as well. hope they send it out next week as thats when i have enough time to sit down and do it.
http://www.savilleconsulting.com/products/aptitude_preparationguides.aspx

Follow this link. For some reason I can't open the diagrammatic analysis tests so I don't know what I'm like at those yet! Yep, verbal fine for me, numerical awful :frown: I'm going to be on GCSE bitesize revision website all afternoon :smile:

I'm guessing they mean we have a week from the 14th, do you think? Or a week from when we start the tests, maybe?
Reply 28
Thanks for the link :smile:
the pdf files arent opening. quite annoying rly, but ill keep trying. likewise i need to keep practising numerical. the questions can get so complicated :s-smilie:
I think its most likely a week from the 14th...hopefully the email they will send makes it clearer.
I wonder how many people they have accepted to the next stage? So i know my chances. I somehow do poorly when it comes to these tests so im rly freaking out.
Lolaface
Thanks for the link :smile:
the pdf files arent opening. quite annoying rly, but ill keep trying. likewise i need to keep practising numerical. the questions can get so complicated :s-smilie:
I think its most likely a week from the 14th...hopefully the email they will send makes it clearer.
I wonder how many people they have accepted to the next stage? So i know my chances. I somehow do poorly when it comes to these tests so im rly freaking out.

I worry about that too :frown: I sort of hope they haven't just let everyone through and the real choosing will come with these tests. I doubt it is, some people must have gone already, but I worry :o:

Still haven't had the email yet :rolleyes:

Oh and I did the diagrammatic analysis tests on the website...3/8. Ouch. I am going to have to practise that too!
Reply 30
Formerly LieDown
I worry about that too :frown: I sort of hope they haven't just let everyone through and the real choosing will come with these tests. I doubt it is, some people must have gone already, but I worry :o:

Still haven't had the email yet :rolleyes:

Oh and I did the diagrammatic analysis tests on the website...3/8. Ouch. I am going to have to practise that too!

Just got the email. they sent out two. not gonna the test right away tho
tomorow or the day after. if not ill just rush it
and they dont give us the result till may. i wanna know straight away
on the diagrammatic, i did alright. 5/8.
Reply 31
I'm through to the online testing bit too....haven't done maths in so long though, not looking forward to it! Verbal should be okay though thank goodness.

Just a quick question, but a friend at uni is thinking of applying next year but he'll only be in his second year on a four year course....do you reckon he could still apply?? I had a look at our minimum eligibility requirements on the online application and it doesn't say anything about having to be in our penultimate year and I don't see why you'd have to be technically... :s-smilie: very confused as to what to tell him! Any help would be super :-)
Unfortunately, you have to be in your penultimate year for this one. We have one week of work experience this summer and then one week after we graduate. Under Eligibility criteria on their website it states:
"You must be a penultimate year student at one of our partner universities"
http://www.partneruniversities.co.uk/index.aspx <-- Here

There are other schemes though, if he is eligible for those, and he can always apply in this third year :smile:

Argh, maths is scaring me too! Are we thinking they're going to take say the top 20 (or whatever number) marks and those people are the ones that pass? *sigh*, I am going to have to do some serious maths cramming to get even near there!

Oh and well done for getting through too lew40 :biggrin:

And btw, any idea what we would get paid if we do get through? I didn't even realised it was paid until I read through the website again today! I shouldn't get too excited though, not with my maths this bad! :o:
Reply 33
good luck as well lew40.
just took the test now. i was freaking out so much so i hope it went well. got the example questions right so it sorta gave me some hope when i completed it. now i want the results. im so so worried about the outcome. cause theres people out there that are so much better at maths than i am.

yeh i wonder how much it is. maybe 100 pounds. at vac schemes for law firms its about 100 - 200 pounds per week.
I am taking the tests today, and I've sort of thrown in the towel already! I couldn't do maths in my GCSE years, I can't do it now. Been trying practise ones for last three days and they've all gone horribly, diagrammatic too. I'll take them this afternoon but definitely won't be waiting on a positive response. I can't believe I probably won't get to do work experience just because I can't sort shapes or I struggle with maths; in the real world I solve maths problems all the time because I have the time to get my head round them, or ask for help, all of which I can't do in a test! so yeah, bit miserable now, I really wanted to do the work experience :frown:

Good luck guys, will put my result up here when it comes through but I can guarantee it won't be good enough

EDIT: Test done, wasn't as horrific as I thought. I ran out of time to do the first question on the numerical so guessed, rest all went relatively smoothly. got full marks in everything in examples although the actual tests were harder!! EARLY MAY!! I can't wait til early May. I guess this is getting us ready for if we apply for the Fast stream and we spend months waiting....
Reply 35
ah good luck to you too
do you know when we get the results for it? i missed the last question on diagrammatic cause i was struggling to think of the right answer so i didnt click on finish so i hope that it took my previous three answers :frown: im so worried thats gone against me.
but the examples were deceiving, false sense of security.
im becoming more and more pessimistic about the outcome of this as the days go by. :frown:
Lolaface
ah good luck to you too
do you know when we get the results for it? i missed the last question on diagrammatic cause i was struggling to think of the right answer so i didnt click on finish so i hope that it took my previous three answers :frown: im so worried thats gone against me.
but the examples were deceiving, false sense of security.
im becoming more and more pessimistic about the outcome of this as the days go by. :frown:

I'm sure it won't. Did you just run out of time? Because I think you only press finish if you're done before the time.

Yes, the examples were very misleading :rolleyes:

Well I started off very pessimistic, I am now hovering on the line between pessimism and a teeny weeny bit of hope :s-smilie: This will soon plunge back into pessimism, no doubt :p:

I think we may find out sooner than May. I was analysing the original email we got from the FCO and it said 'by May'. they also said 'by 23rd April' for letting us know with the first part and we got it ten days before. So my fingers are crossed!!

:woo:
Reply 37
Formerly LieDown
I'm sure it won't. Did you just run out of time? Because I think you only press finish if you're done before the time.

Yes, the examples were very misleading :rolleyes:

Well I started off very pessimistic, I am now hovering on the line between pessimism and a teeny weeny bit of hope :s-smilie: This will soon plunge back into pessimism, no doubt :p:

I think we may find out sooner than May. I was analysing the original email we got from the FCO and it said 'by May'. they also said 'by 23rd April' for letting us know with the first part and we got it ten days before. So my fingers are crossed!!

:woo:

yeh i just ran out of time. i picked an answer but didnt get to the finish button on time so i hope that doesnt go against me. if thats the case as well, that you only click it when you do it before the time, then good.

yeh i was gonna ask you about that. on the website it says 23rd april in the FAQ section so i hope its end of this month and not may. cant stand waiting. fingers crossed indeed :smile:

so we've got a maybe...3 days!!
Lolaface
yeh i just ran out of time. i picked an answer but didnt get to the finish button on time so i hope that doesnt go against me. if thats the case as well, that you only click it when you do it before the time, then good.

yeh i was gonna ask you about that. on the website it says 23rd april in the FAQ section so i hope its end of this month and not may. cant stand waiting. fingers crossed indeed :smile:

so we've got a maybe...3 days!!

Ah I see, so we think maybe 23rd April is the day they tell us overall?? I originally read it as the first stage, but it does say 'if you are successful', it doesn't specify which stage they mean. Maybe. Although they do say beginning of May....

3 days is still too long :p: but better than beginning of May!
Reply 39
Ah gosh that was much harder than I thought it'd be compared to the examples...at least it looks like we're all in the same boat!

Can't wait for the results....will they give us feedback on how we've done on the tests or a simple yes/no does anyone know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending