The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lauren
Tampons are easiest, but I try to avoid periods by taking the pill constantly.

There is evidence that if you take the pill for long amounts of time then later in life if you plan to have children you might be less fertile. Not a great thing. I assume your doctor told you this originally, but if he didn't he should have done.
Reply 21
mooncup sounds horrible as if ur period wasnt bad enough?
Reply 22
sophieliz
There is evidence that if you take the pill for long amounts of time then later in life if you plan to have children you might be less fertile. Not a great thing. I assume your doctor told you this originally, but if he didn't he should have done.

is this really true? i do this all the time and my doc never mentrioned it to me were did you get this info from?
Tampons when I'm heavy and pads when I'm light.
Reply 24
Tampons, all the time. I do worry about TSS sometimes though. The point is, I used pads for like the first 2 or so periods that I ever had, and ever since it's been tampons. Don't you find it a bit disgusting that you're basically sitting on the remnants of your own uterus lining? I don't know, I just personally find pads rather un-hygenic. Although I agree that it's each to their own.
I always use tampons now, unless there's only pads in the house. They hurt like hell when I first started using them but when I got used to it it was fine. I find pads are too bulky and less convenient. Also, there's more risk of leaking onto underwear.
Reply 26
I'm surprised more people voting in this use pads than tampons. Can anyone who chose that say why they voted for pads? Personally, yuck (i have used them in the past, I just don't like wearing a nappy!)
Reply 27
Kavanne
I'm surprised more people voting in this use pads than tampons. Can anyone who chose that say why they voted for pads? Personally, yuck (i have used them in the past, I just don't like wearing a nappy!)

Excatly! You are literally sitting in your own gunk. I find them quite unhygenic.

Whoever invented tampons is a god, as I have always said! It's like you don't have a period at all! :eek:
Tampons and pads.
Reply 29
To begin with I always used pads, but hated it (refer to nappy, unhygenic comments-I totally agree), and doing physical exercise, sleeping, sitting down, walking for a long time was just a nightmare, so I started using tampons and never looked back. I thought basically everyone used them, I didn't realise that its sort of equal numbers between pads and tampons.

But I'm not sure I would ever use a mooncup though, if you did a handstand wouldn't it all go back up?! Sorry thats a weird thing to say but the thought just occurred to me :s
Reply 30
sophieliz

Im surprised by this because recently, I visited my doctor about period pain (which Id had for a while and was getting really fed up of) and he told me to take 4 packs of pills together each time, which would mean having 3 periods a year instead of 12, and he never mentioned any risks.
Reply 31
i chose pads. Ive worn them since i started when i was 14 and i find them more comfortable. Tried a tampon once, but it really hurt so I took it out (which was also painful) and vowed never to wear one again. Might go on the injection so that they dont bother me ever again!
Reply 32
pads and tampons. I don't like leaving tampons in over night and they don't sell the minis in the local supermarket, so I use light pads towards the end of my period.
Reply 33
the concept of tampons scares me too...especially after the only time ive ever tried was on holiday & the stringy bit was dangling out of my bikini. shame, cos it does seem much nicer & sharing a bed with my fella during my period much less worrying... maybe that'll be something going to uni will chjange for me...
Reply 34
mirandab
the concept of tampons scares me too...especially after the only time ive ever tried was on holiday & the stringy bit was dangling out of my bikini. shame, cos it does seem much nicer & sharing a bed with my fella during my period much less worrying... maybe that'll be something going to uni will chjange for me...

really not scary at all! I didn't use them for ages because my mum's a bit stupid with these things. When I first got my period she bought me panty liners so I had a lot of bloody knickers of course :mad: . She also told me you can only use tampons when you're not a virgin anymore and loads of that kind of crap. :rolleyes: Then she bought me tampons - with stupid paper applicators - not a good thing if you're using a tampon for the first time. OBs are so much easier, you can't do anything wrong with them, much better.
Reply 35
Tampons, but I'm going to order a mooncup as soon as my debit card arrives...

*taps fingers*
Reply 36
pads

I've never really got the hang of tampons and I don't like the idea of sticking bleached material into such an absorbent cluster of tissues.
Reply 37
i actually use a mix, mainly tampons, - they're really comfortable when u get used to them. first time i used it was when i was going to a under 18s night and didnt wanna wear a pad. i was alot more comfortable for it!
Reply 38
Adarah
really not scary at all! I didn't use them for ages because my mum's a bit stupid with these things. When I first got my period she bought me panty liners so I had a lot of bloody knickers of course :mad: . She also told me you can only use tampons when you're not a virgin anymore and loads of that kind of crap. :rolleyes: Then she bought me tampons - with stupid paper applicators - not a good thing if you're using a tampon for the first time. OBs are so much easier, you can't do anything wrong with them, much better.

is your family particularly religious?

my mum was never allowed to wear tampons until after she was married, whereas i started using them pretty much from day 1 :rolleyes: ah well, highly unlikely that my future in-laws will request that my wedding sheets be checked...
Reply 39
priya
is your family particularly religious?

my mum was never allowed to wear tampons until after she was married, whereas i started using them pretty much from day 1 :rolleyes: ah well, highly unlikely that my future in-laws will request that my wedding sheets be checked...

I'm quite sure that little bit of skin is still in-tact - but I'm sure no one will care lol. And no, my parents are both atheists, my grandfather was too and my grandmother is a bit religious, but society in general was still Christian when my mum grew up I guess - you just realise that when she starts to talk about anything related to sex, vagina or penis. She goes all red and starts giggling - so sexually repressed! :rolleyes:

This reminds me of something someone who lives in the US told me. She doesn't like using applicators, but OBs (me too, i hate applicators) and when the girls at her high school found out they were like: urgh, that's gross, it's like fingering yourself!
such a stupid view to have! they are sexually repressed by the society they live in I think (they go around and have sex all the time, but OBs are big no-no :rolleyes: ). I mean really... that is so rediculous!

Latest