The Student Room Group

McDonalds- overworked?

Scroll to see replies

climber_47
I don't have a problem with the days I worked. Like I wrote in my contract, I am fully flex anytime. Just recently my health seems to have gone downhill and I feel that I should do slightly less hours (which seems impossible with the upcoming week, the days given previously).

Can I ask, how much notice do I need to give for a change in hours, ie to reduce my maximum from 45 hours to say, 30-35?

Not very long, you will need to work the shifts you've been given and then tell them to reduce your hours before s/he has done the next lot of shifts. Then they'll give you less when they do them. Assuming your shifts are done like my store on a week/biweekly basis.

And I was giving you a hard time because your health is deteriorating because you probably arn't used to hard work. Of course you're going to be tired at first, it's long hours and it's manual labour. You will also feel sick if you don't eat during an 8 hour shift, especially if it's in kitchen. The whole "Health issue" is overplayed unless you actualy have an underlying condition you're just being lazy.
Reply 21
RollerBall
Not very long, you will need to work the shifts you've been given and then tell them to reduce your hours before s/he has done the next lot of shifts. Then they'll give you less when they do them. Assuming your shifts are done like my store on a week/biweekly basis.

And I was giving you a hard time because your health is deteriorating because you probably arn't used to hard work. Of course you're going to be tired at first, it's long hours and it's manual labour. You will also feel sick if you don't eat during an 8 hour shift, especially if it's in kitchen. The whole "Health issue" is overplayed unless you actualy have an underlying condition you're just being lazy.

That's my fault, I do have an underlying medical condition which I don't want to share, but I didn't state that I had one, I apologise :frown: I am used to hard work, work way harder than McDonalds, I'm just struggling with my health at the moment because of the irregular (bulk) sort of shifts I get. I want to be able to continue full time, I'm just panicking because of this huge line of shifts put infront of me. I do appreciate the information you provided, just some phrases seemed intentionally offense. I'm sorry for the confusion and anger passed between us. :o:
McTime? :teehee:
Surely the contracted hours are 7, since that is what you HAVE to work, anything above that (the 45) is the absolute maximum that they cannot exceed.
How much do they pay you per hour?
Reply 25
Over the christmas holidays I was averaging 60 hours a week with my overtime. You should count yourself lucky, now they are only giving me 10 hours a week.
(Though I am only part time.)
Reply 26
Why the hell are people being so rude?! OP, look after your health first and foremost, but from what I can tell, it seems you are obliged to do the hours given. The best you can do is talk to your manager, tell him/her your concerns and hope he/she is understanding. Good luck! :smile:
Hang on, 16 hours is only a part time amount of hours. I thought you wanted full time hours?

If you just ring in sick once or twice every couple of weeks, then you will not be very popular - with the rest of your colleagues because they have to take on the extra work from you not being there, and with the management because they have to try and find people at short notice and generally run a shop which is potentially far more hectic than is should be.

Just explain to your manager that you don't want to do more than 16 hours, and that you'd prefer less than that really. She will be within her rights though to say that in that case, why did you apply for a full time position in the first place when, when it comes to it you don't actually want full time hours? Tbh that's what I'd be asking if I were her. I used to work out the rota sometimes at Greggs - we had a set amount of hours for the shop per week which we couldn't go over, so I just put down everyone for their contracted hours, and then with the extra hours I'd divide them up as equally as I could between the people who wanted them.
Reply 28
Seriously OP, don't put up with it any longer than you have to. Get a better job! Find something and then quit your current post. It's about the worst possible place to work and the pay is diabolical. Where I work, I get paid about £6.50-£7 an hour, can basically turn up at whatever time I like, have my own key to the building, can sit there watching films or TV every day and get paid in cash.
Dionysus
Seriously OP, don't put up with it any longer than you have to. Get a better job! Find something and then quit your current post. It's about the worst possible place to work and the pay is diabolical. Where I work, I get paid about £6.50-£7 an hour, can basically turn up at whatever time I like, have my own key to the building, can sit there watching films or TV every day and get paid in cash.

One of the guys who works with me is 20, works in McDonalds and is paid more than you. So STFU.
Reply 30
EskimoJo
Why the hell are people being so rude?! OP, look after your health first and foremost, but from what I can tell, it seems you are obliged to do the hours given. The best you can do is talk to your manager, tell him/her your concerns and hope he/she is understanding. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you :o:

FormerlyHistoryStudent
Hang on, 16 hours is only a part time amount of hours. I thought you wanted full time hours?

If you just ring in sick once or twice every couple of weeks, then you will not be very popular - with the rest of your colleagues because they have to take on the extra work from you not being there, and with the management because they have to try and find people at short notice and generally run a shop which is potentially far more hectic than is should be.

Just explain to your manager that you don't want to do more than 16 hours, and that you'd prefer less than that really. She will be within her rights though to say that in that case, why did you apply for a full time position in the first place when, when it comes to it you don't actually want full time hours? Tbh that's what I'd be asking if I were her. I used to work out the rota sometimes at Greggs - we had a set amount of hours for the shop per week which we couldn't go over, so I just put down everyone for their contracted hours, and then with the extra hours I'd divide them up as equally as I could between the people who wanted them.

Yes, they are part time hours. I applied to full time hours, I don't know why it says that (a friend enlightened me earlier that those hours are guideline hours and are should not be considered as contract hours. You've actually made me realise something with with the extra hours I'd divide them up as equally as I could between the people who wanted them. I had originally hoped that I would get 45 hours (before I knew McDonalds doesn't pay at an ovetime rate) So that is why I have so many cause it looks like I want them~ even tho I did tell her I could no longer work so many shifts, I understand why I would have recieved all of these hours, thank you.

Dionysus

I am looking for other employment while I work there. It is so degrading there but in my area there are not many jobs going and I'm lucky to even have this and unfortunately, I need the money (but at the same time I don't need the hassle, stress and stress on my health). Also, it's easier to find a new job if you already are in a job- but gosh I wish I was getting paid what you are :p:
climber_47

Yes, they are part time hours. I applied to full time hours, I don't know why it says that (a friend enlightened me earlier that those hours are guideline hours and are should not be considered as contract hours. You've actually made me realise something with with the extra hours I'd divide them up as equally as I could between the people who wanted them. I had originally hoped that I would get 45 hours (before I knew McDonalds doesn't pay at an ovetime rate) So that is why I have so many cause it looks like I want them~ even tho I did tell her I could no longer work so many shifts, I understand why I would have recieved all of these hours, thank you.

Yes - since you applied for a full time flexible position, you've been given a full time amount of hours because they need someone to do that many and they thought you wanted them and were flexible. If you only wanted less than 16 hours, you should have just applied for a part time position, and they wouldn't have thus expected you to do more. :wink:
Dionysus

What job do you do?
Reply 33
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Yes - since you applied for a full time flexible position, you've been given a full time amount of hours because they need someone to do that many and they thought you wanted them and were flexible. If you only wanted less than 16 hours, you should have just applied for a part time position, and they wouldn't have thus expected you to do more. :wink:

Sorry you misunderstood, I wanted full time hours and that's what I applied for, thats the thing- I wanted to do over 40 hours (if I was getting overtime pay for it).

But the whole reason for my post was because my health seems to be getting worse (and I have an underlying health problem -adding this to avoid confusion-) and I am struggling with the high work load. I don't want to change to part time, I would like to stay full time but maybe get a little slack until I can recover :smile: McDonalds are meant to be flexible, they seem to make quite a point of that to all job-hunters :o:

I did speak to my manager but I think she had already put up the shifts for this week, so I will need to work them before my requested 4 shifts a week will be the regular hours.

Usually every week I'm doing 5-6 shifts a week, which has been difficult. So I am doing full time, I have no idea why it says part time hours :p: (but the 16hrs comes from their online website thing, and I have been informed that this does not reflect my contract.) My contract is, I believe, and what others who have read this have pointed out, must be any amount of work between 7 and 45 hrs :smile:
climber_47

But the whole reason for my post was because my health seems to be getting worse (and I have an underlying health problem -adding this to avoid confusion-) and I am struggling with the high work load. I don't want to change to part time, I would like to stay full time but maybe get a little slack until I can recover :smile: McDonalds are meant to be flexible, they seem to make quite a point of that to all job-hunters :o:

Ah. Well, what it'll come down to really is how understanding your manager is. To be fair to her, she hired you thinking you were going to be flexible and able to do up to 45 hours, so she might not be too sympathetic when you start telling her that actually you can only do a certain amount of shifts per week etc. Also, if you mean a high academic workload, then she may feel that it isn't really a concern of hers if you can't manage your workload better. However, she would be acting very harshly if she did do this! - if I were her then personally I would ease off on you a bit (I was a student myself so I know about high academic workloads etc....), though I'd hope that you'd still be flexible enough to be able to be called upon to do the odd extra shift in an emergency :wink: I just thought though, does she actually know about this underlying health condition of yours? She may well be more sympathetic towards that, well she should be anyway.
Reply 35
FormerlyHistoryStudent
What job do you do?

Handmade furniture sales. It's not commission based, which is unusual in this industry, but generally works out better.
This will be my last week working at McDonalds before I move on to New Look but I had similar problems with them.
First of all I think you should take it as a comliment that they want you to work so much as it clearly means they value you as an employee.
However, it is unfair of them to make you work more than the hours you said you could.
I have worked there part-time for 8 months alongside my A Level studies and only wanted to work one shift a week, however despite telling my store manager over and over again I kept being put down for two shifts on Saturday and Sunday normally from 11-6. And as you can imagine my social life suffered not to mention to quality of the work I was handing in to sixth form.
My advise is talk it through with your store manager and if you can't agree on any arrangements which suit you both then start looking for alternative employment because you should not work so much that your health (or studies) are effected.
Reply 37
climber_47
Is it that easy to change it like that? Do you have to give notice or anything? Or should they change it as suitable because we technically have no definite contracted hours? (except the minimum?)

Thank you for replying, nice to discuss it with someone who has experience in this situation :biggrin:

My manager is really cool, so I didn't need to give any notice. I don't know whether you will need to. Just speak to your manger and sort it out sooner rather than later.:yes:
Original post by climber_47
I would like some advice or help from people who also work for the company.

On McTime, it states that my preferred working hours are 16 hours. Min hours are 7hrs and weekly max is 45 hours.

If they give me more than 16 hours can I refuse to work those shifts? I am supposed to be full time but they are really taking the mick out of me. Take my next upcoming shifts for example.

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, (off friday), Saturday, Sunday (and then probably monday tuesday again).

I know that the max they can make you work is 48 hours; you can work 6 out of 7 days and 12 out of 14 etc.

I just want to know can I call them up on this 16 hour preferred hours. Is this my contract?

The reason I would like some information is that my health seems to have deterioarated since I started working there and I am scared that working the next week will make me so much worse. I am constantly tired, feeling sick( I don't eat their meal allowance ), fatigued and sensitive to light.

I am considering handing in a notice as well. I spoke to the manager yesterday and we agreed that I would work 4 shifts a week after I told her my concerns then that night I say this on our notice board. Everyone else is working a maximum of 4 shifts next week... so why am I working 2 days previous to a 6/7 day week?

Any constructive advice, opinions or some more information would be appreciated.

[Also, this is the first thread I've created so if it is in the wrong section I apologise!]

It states in your contract your availability.
If it is over your preferred you have the right to tell them you aren't working those desired shifts.
Reply 39
Original post by terrigardner2012
It states in your contract your availability.
If it is over your preferred you have the right to tell them you aren't working those desired shifts.

You don't have that right actually. 'preferred' means OP prefers those hours per week, but if business requirements deem it necessary then this preference won't be granted. The max hours per week is how much they can make OP work. The minimum working hours doesn't help when the manager can easily make a reasonable request for OP to work 40hrs per week when OP is working full-time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending