The Student Room Group

Retaking AS - A* still possible?

Hi,
I've just recieved by janurary AS module results, and all are fine except one that i'd like to retake. Which is Chemistry on OCR.
Although ive heard all sorts of stuff about how if you choose to retake an AS unit you can get an A* (which is usually 90%+) and apparently this is true for mathematics.
So i have no idea what to believe - can i still get an A* in chemistry if i decide to retake it?
Hello,

I believe in order to get an A* in all other subjects, bar maths you would have to get above 90% in the A2 modules and an A grade overall. Thus you could get a B at AS and it would be the same (end result) as getting an A at AS for the A* grade.

So...I wouldn't bother retaking unless you wish you put marks in the bag for an A grade.
Reply 2
A* is 90% average on A2 subjects and 80% average on whole A-Level. what did u get for chem?
Reply 3
You can retake and still get an A*. They don't discount you from it or anything.
Reply 4
I just got a B in chemistry (on the boundary)
Does anyone know if you resit a unit in the summer if it appears when you apply for uni? i know that if you retake because you failed an AS exam in the summer it appears but what if you retake because of a jan unit?
tom72
I just got a B in chemistry (on the boundary)
Does anyone know if you resit a unit in the summer if it appears when you apply for uni? i know that if you retake because you failed an AS exam in the summer it appears but what if you retake because of a jan unit?

So when you say you got a B, is that just one unit of several? What I mean is, have you got more AS papers to go?

If that's the case, I don't think it shows up because you haven't been "awarded" an AS qualification yet. :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies.
And in response to an earlier comment, this chemistry AS is one of 2 AS modules im doing in chemistry, i'm doing the 2nd module in the summer though ive now decided to retake the 1st module i did in january though hopefully the retake wont appear when i apply for uni
tom72
Thanks for the replies.
And in response to an earlier comment, this chemistry AS is one of 2 AS modules im doing in chemistry, i'm doing the 2nd module in the summer though ive now decided to retake the 1st module i did in january though hopefully the retake wont appear when i apply for uni

Right, in that case, I'm 90% sure it won't appear. Having filled in the UCAS form (worst form ever!), I think that anything for which you're taking further exams is put as "Pending", whereas other stuff has grades.

In other words, if you retake Unit 1 and take Unit 2 in June, you'll have a "good" grade to put as the AS and "Pending" for the A2 (since you won't have finished the A2).

However, if you leave your Unit 1 retake until January, I'm not sure whether you have to declare the "bad" AS (since IIRC the retake would only count towards a "good" A2 and not an improvement on your old AS) and the A2 would still be "Pending". In other words, if you know you can do well this year without having the extra subject experience that waiting until January could give you, I think that on paper it'd look better if you retook in June, since nobody would know. It'd just look like you didn't do any exams in January, which is perfectly possible. :smile:
Reply 8
You do know what they say dont you? Aim for the starts hahaa

Latest