The Student Room Group
High-level sport ability
High-level musical ability
Extensive life experience for your age (traveling etc).

but most important of all:

Absolute passion for your chosen subject.
Yeah, I hear playing the guitar is guaranteed to get you a place in Cambridge.

There is no way you can generalise so much; you're UCAS form is very much subject (and individual) specific.

The number one thing they're looking for, generally, is interest and passion for the course. There is no magic formula for the perfect form or how you show your passion and interest. For History/English it is likely to be by discussing books you've read around the course whereas with Medicine/Law work experience will help you a lot too.

Try and take any opportunities that come to you (work experience, open days on specific subjects, Access to university courses, summer-schools etc.) to show extra-curricular commitment to your course as well as academic interest by plenty of reading etc.
Reply 3
That your passion for the subject comes across (without saying cliches like my passion for x began at age 5...etc)
That you understand what the subject involves and why its important to study
Extra curriculars/voluntary work directly related to the course

edit: I assumed you're just talking about the PS and not the whole application?
If not then I'll add grades & predicted grades, what subjects you took for A Level and your reference.

Will depend what subject you're going for.
what do you want to apply for?
Reply 5
SamD1992
What are the top 5 things that will impress uni's on Ucas forms. E.g Playing a guitar. You dont have to give 5 just give any opinions you have on how to impress on the form.
Actual grades, predicted grades, personal statement, reference, and how all these things match up with the entry requirements for the course you have chosen.

Extra-curricular activities and/or work experience are important only in specific instances, such as medicine/dentistry. You need to research your course choices carefully to find out if this applies in your case. There is no point in trying to fabricate extra-curricular activities in the mistaken belief that it will enhance your application.
Reply 6
1. Results
2. Reference

Apparently none of the unis I applied to look at the PS. I didn't find this out 'til afterwards though...
Number 1: Grades.
Reply 8
1) Grades
2) Grades
3) Grades
4) Personal Statement
5) Grades

In your PS you need to show a real genuine passion for your subject. Word experience, and stuff you do in your spare time, all help towards this. Unless you are national-standard, or it relates specifically to your course, talking about sport/music is done to fill space only.
According to an admissions tutor from Cambridge they want to see a 'curve of improvement' in exam results.
Reply 10
1) Clear passion for the chosen course, maturity, enthusiasm etc
2) Stating what the uni can offer you and in return what you can offer the uni
3) Relating any extra curricular activities or part time work to the course (showing how the skills relate)
4) Saying where you would like to go in your career if you know yet.
5) A good reference that supports what you are saying in your personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending