The Student Room Group

Applying to Canadian universities?

I've been browsing the websites of a couple of Canadian universities that I'm interested in applying to next year/later this year (McGill & UBC) but I'm a bit confused with the application process. It seems less complicated than applying to the USA, but I still have a few questions.

Do they require any standardised tests?
How likely is it for an international student to get financial aid?
Would it be as expensive as the USA?
What do the actual applications entail? (as far as I've seen it's all done online, they mention something about GPA and maybe a teacher reference but I have no idea what I'd be expected to put in an application)
Do you apply generally to the university or for a specific course?

Thanks in advance! It'd be helpful if any international students here who have applied to Canada could share their experiences too (:
Reply 1
BeckyIsOptimistic
I've been browsing the websites of a couple of Canadian universities that I'm interested in applying to next year/later this year (McGill & UBC) but I'm a bit confused with the application process. It seems less complicated than applying to the USA, but I still have a few questions.

no
Quite likely
No
What do the actual applications entail? (as far as I've seen it's all done online, they mention something about GPA and maybe a teacher reference but I have no idea what I'd be expected to put in an application)
(for McGill): It's online,although you'll have to send your transcripts (your school/college should know if they've sent applications off to the US/Canada before) and a photocopy of your A levels/GCSEs.
IF you apply for a scholarship, then you'll have to send references as well...

For the course.

Thanks in advance! It'd be helpful if any international students here who have applied to Canada could share their experiences too (:

my answers are in bold (cause I'm lazy)
unamed
my answers are in bold (cause I'm lazy)

thank you! +rep

No, however some programs depending on the university have specific coure pre-req's.

International students are expected to pay their way through loans or aid from their country of origin. There may be Grants open to you once you are at the university and your marks prove you worthy :P

This depends on the university you attend. The University of Toronto as well as Western and McMaster as very expensive Universities. Tuition for home students is 9k-20k a year. I would assume that International Students will be paying double if not triple that. A more afforadable choice would be to go through an exchange program.

Depending on the university your application process will be 100% online. Others you may have to provide a mailed/faxed application. You'll have to go to your choices and read through their application process for international students.

You shoud call the International office and see what the rep says.
digitalfever

No, however some programs depending on the university have specific coure pre-req's.

International students are expected to pay their way through loans or aid from their country of origin. There may be Grants open to you once you are at the university and your marks prove you worthy :P

This depends on the university you attend. The University of Toronto as well as Western and McMaster as very expensive Universities. Tuition for home students is 9k-20k a year. I would assume that International Students will be paying double if not triple that. A more afforadable choice would be to go through an exchange program.

Depending on the university your application process will be 100% online. Others you may have to provide a mailed/faxed application. You'll have to go to your choices and read through their application process for international students.

You shoud call the International office and see what the rep says.

Thanks..only thing about the financial aid is that through my research of applying to the US I thought you can't get British student loans for an undergraduate degree abroad, so I guess it is financially impossible. I assume grants are a bit of a lottery as well, I'm sure there would be hundreds if not thousands of qualified students fighting it out for them.
BeckyIsOptimistic
Thanks..only thing about the financial aid is that through my research of applying to the US I thought you can't get British student loans for an undergraduate degree abroad, so I guess it is financially impossible. I assume grants are a bit of a lottery as well, I'm sure there would be hundreds if not thousands of qualified students fighting it out for them.

Are you currently enrolled in a Universty program? Could you not apply for a Grant through them?

If not, Student Lines of credit and I'm sure there are aid programs for students that would like to travel abroad. Also, B. and aid help is offered to students in ALL programs of study once you are at your host school. Free funding is usually between 2k-15k for international students.
digitalfever
Are you currently enrolled in a Universty program? Could you not apply for a Grant through them?

If not, Student Lines of credit and I'm sure there are aid programs for students that would like to travel abroad. Also, B. and aid help is offered to students in ALL programs of study once you are at your host school. Free funding is usually between 2k-15k for international students.

No I'm still in school, I'll be applying to uni this Autumn. Sorry I think I got grants confused with scholarships..but if I can get any sort of financial aid then I'll definitely apply for a couple of places. By 'host school' do you mean the uni I go to? I'm not looking to transfer/do a year abroad or anything.
BeckyIsOptimistic
No I'm still in school, I'll be applying to uni this Autumn. Sorry I think I got grants confused with scholarships..but if I can get any sort of financial aid then I'll definitely apply for a couple of places. By 'host school' do you mean the uni I go to? I'm not looking to transfer/do a year abroad or anything.

You'd probably qualify, and be apply to apply to a bursary fund(s). Which all students are entitled to apply for. I would suggest you apply to more than one school and seriously consider the city size in which you want to live and become apart of. Even school such as York (Osgoode Law) which is located within the GTA of Toronto is within a quiet commuter area; also different types of schools will treat international students differently when it comes to handing out free money. The U of T in my opinion is the best for throwing around free money :P
Also you sould start applying within the next few weeks.
digitalfever
Also you sould start applying within the next few weeks.

Really? I haven't even done my AS levels yet, the earliest we apply in the UK for uni is September 2010 for entry into September 2011. I'll keep researching though, and U of T is definitely one of my favourites. Although according to their website "International students outside of the U.S. in need of financial assistance should consult funding agencies in their home country." I've never heard of these 'funding agencies' in the UK.
Reply 10
BeckyIsOptimistic

No standardized tests for undergrad, it is DEFINITELY cheaper than the US schools.

The applications for Canadians are easy, I presume it isn't hard for international students as well.

To be honest, unless you are going to McGill or U of T I wouldn't come to Canada. UK schools are probably better and cheaper for undergrad. Western/Queens/UBC are great party schools but only McGill and U of T are prestigious.

Hope I helped! If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I've lived in Toronto for 14 years and have been all over Canada,.

Latest

Trending

Trending