The Student Room Group

Classic good looks vs. pretty boy

the debate rages on between my girl mates. of course there are different ways of phrasing it ie: cute vs. rugged, girly vs.manly, but essentially its the same thing right??

In the grand scheme of things, i think most men have an element of both. i would post a pic of myself to let u decide but i can't be arsed to find one. anyway, girls, using examples if you so wish, which one most floats your boat. The likes of Lee Ryan, Gareth Gates and Orlando Bloom, or classic good looking mens men such as Russel Crow, Steve McQueen or Beckham without the makeup.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not all bipolar, if you're not a pretty boy, it doesn't mean you're rugged, weigh 20 stones, have a beard and drive a lorry.

The Classic good looks vs. pretty boy makes sense though as the "pretty boy" style is made up. You're not really born a pretty boy. It's the way you decide to style yourself.

In that debate, pretty boys come out winners because it's not a matter of looks and more about style: and girls go for style. That's the one thing that a group of girls can agree on. When it comes to actual looks, you're not going to find 2 girls who agree. At least that's the impression I get. You'll get girls who like their guys lanky and skinny, others weighing at least 20 stones. Do any girls agree with that?
Reply 2
Orlando Bloom out of that list.

I prefer more lanky looking guys to stocky ones.....as in I prefer guys on the skinnier side rather than not...

Classic vs pretty boy is kind of repetitive. I'd say for example Hayden Christensen is classic looking,but he's also a pretty boy.

But if you mean it as "manly" vs pretty boy, yeah pretty boy probably wins.

But key thing is: posture.......can't stress it enough (no i'm not a 70 year old ballet instructor)
Reply 3
I think there is a lot of middle ground which is where most of the attractive men lie :wink:

I don't like Russell Crowe because I think he's a complete tosser, but he's not bad looking. But then I also fancy Orlando Bloom. It depends on the guy - just because he pumps iron/gels his hair doesn't make that much of a difference overall
Reply 4
I want/have BOTH. I don't have high standards :biggrin:
classic example of classic vs. pretty:
james dean vs. david beckham

guys should look like james dean, clean cut, smart, welll read, a gentlemen in everyway.
but a lot of guys are trying to be metrosexuals like becks. he has never read a book in his life, his appeal is only skin deep but he is still one of the most desired guys on the planet.
I like a slim, lean, boy next door type with a sweet smile. I don't think that's either.
i think governer arnie said it best, how a guy should always act: "not a girly man". its the way forward
kornkamper
classic example of classic vs. pretty:
james dean vs. david beckham

guys should look like james dean, clean cut, smart, welll read, a gentlemen in everyway.
but a lot of guys are trying to be metrosexuals like becks. he has never read a book in his life, his appeal is only skin deep but he is still one of the most desired guys on the planet.

david beckhams a pretty boy?! i know he wears women's clothes but he's not v feminine
no neither of those types... like joseph fiennes and gael garcia bernal.. the artistic type
Apparently, I'm a pretty boy, and it hasn't done me much good.
I like pretty boys to an extent but if they take it too far it's a bit offputting.A good example of pretty boys I'd like are McFly.Verrry attractive!
I tend to go for pretty boys, to be honest. But that's purely looks-wise.
Reply 13
Wut is wrong with being a girly man?...
Reply 14
Everything, by being a man, you're not supposed to be a girl, hence, being a girly man is no good.
Reply 15
Taking care of ones appearance and health is girly?
Reply 16
Nope.
Reply 17
Oooh we did an experiment with this at Uni :smile:

Found most females preferred strong jawlines, rugged look etc....but this did change with their 'time of the month'...they leant more towards baby faces during their 'time' :smile:
If you get a pretty boy and a guy with naturally good looks (I don't know where you're getting this idea that good looks are always rugged :confused: ), throw them into a club and tell them to pull, the pretty boy will always win.

"Good looks" is too subjective and you won't find two girls to agree on facial features, whereas the "pretty boy" style plays into the media-influenced girls. They like the style even if the guy is butt ugly. No matter what their natural attraction is, style and image is style and image no matter what tastes you were born with. Media influences girls so much that they're shown what an attractive guy looks like. At the moment, the metrosexual, pretty boy style is shown as the style to go for.

I've got a friend. He never never got girls up until the age of 21: a complete dork. He was quiet, shy, not good-looking and dressed terribly. He worked for a company where his supervisor was a playboy and who became a model for him: he started growing his hair long, got a stylish haircut and started dressing very stylishly. Now, girls just go crazy when he's in a club. I've spoken to girls who've fancied him and they go on and on about his "pretty boy style". You've never seen anything like this. They could do a film about this guy. He effortlessly (he's not even a good talker) pulls girls every time he goes out. They're the ones who chat him up.
Reply 19
cambridgemuscle
the debate rages on between my girl mates. of course there are different ways of phrasing it ie: cute vs. rugged, girly vs.manly, but essentially its the same thing right??

In the grand scheme of things, i think most men have an element of both. i would post a pic of myself to let u decide but i can't be arsed to find one. anyway, girls, using examples if you so wish, which one most floats your boat. The likes of Lee Ryan, Gareth Gates and Orlando Bloom, or classic good looking mens men such as Russel Crow, Steve McQueen or Beckham without the makeup.

:rofl: Beckham - good-looking? He's not ugly but certainly not "classic good-looks"!! :rofl:

Funnily enough I've never seen what attracts people to Gareth Gates either - never found him good-looking.

I've yet to meet a guy in person who can literally make me faint with his looks. I'm very picky when it comes to looks, although I don't view it important enough to make it a priority, as long as the guy isn't repulsive lol.

I did used to like Orlando Bloom but now I don't think he's that cute anyway. I quite like Viggo Mortensen playing Aragorn though - such an air of authority!

Latest