The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
you may as well, cant remember exactly what is in the freshers pack but you get your ball ticket, which probably everyone will be going to (unless youre like me and get ill and miss it, and therefore, miss out), and a rather nice academic diary i think, plus a couple of other things like pens.

i assume things havent changed so the ball isnt formal at all, everone went in jeans and tops, what you would wear to a bar kind of thing. its mainly fairground rides and stuff and people being sick, so you dont really want to be running around in a full on ballgown.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
racheld1985
is it worth paying for this?
£17.50 doesnt seem too bad, ive heard of other unis charging something like £50
also, how formal is the ball?
thanks

Have you had your freshers pack through the post already then??
Reply 3
I got mine yesterday
Reply 4
i dont think i shall go to the ball, i went to the one in Bristol and it was such a waste of money, it was rubbish!
steffi_c
i dont think i shall go to the ball, i went to the one in Bristol and it was such a waste of money, it was rubbish!

noooooo, go to the ball, you'll regret it! (you'll regret not going that is!) its a one off! i'd reccomend gettin the freshers pack, i didn't, so had to go n queue to buy a ball ticket in the first week, n i hate queues!!!

i had a very....interesting.....night!
Reply 6
if you want to go to the ball then get it, because tickets if you buy them on their own will be about £16. Princessa, I didnt get any nice academic diary last year! You get a couple of bookets, a card, a ball ticket and some vouchers for money on drinks and free entry to a few clubs on the odd night or two.

at least this year there will be one freshers pack. last year because UMIST and uni of manc hadnt merged, and the halls are mixed, half the people had free tickets to some events and others had some for others, so you couldnt really go ot all together with your new friends. I didnt end up going to half of the things for that reason, we just made our own fun.
Oh and the ball isnt a proper ball, its just in the academy. I wore what i'd normally wear on a night out, skirt top and strappy sandals, but there were people there in jeans.
x
Reply 7
mik1w
I got mine yesterday

So are you supposed to get a Fresher Pack before you get there? Or can you get them once you arrive?
Reply 8
it might be better than the bristol one, that was just full of toffs in tuxedos, i got really drunk before i went to, and fell out of the taxi in front of everyone. I was so drunk that i couldnt even drink my free drink, and then i ended up crying because i missed yorkshire!
Reply 9
hey. i got the freshers pack yesterday, and im going to send off for one. Only thing (this could just be me been incredibly stupid) but i couldnt find the address to send it to anywhere. Any body who can help with that? Thanks x
Reply 10
ZigZag
So are you supposed to get a Fresher Pack before you get there? Or can you get them once you arrive?

oh no not freshers pack, but all the information about it
Reply 11
Jenna999
Princessa, I didnt get any nice academic diary last year!

oh dear your were ripped off. it was a nice black fake leather one, and it had those tear off bits in the corner of the page so you can find the week quickly, which gave me hours of pleasure.

actually it was many moons ago (well 2 years) and i cant remember. maybe it wasnt with the freshers pack? if it wasnt i have absolutely no idea where i picked it up. :confused: ah it upsets me that i cant even remember my fresher's week. i wasnt even drunk for most of it and it is just a big blur of wandering around manchester. i wish i made a video diary!

steffi_c
it might be better than the bristol one, that was just full of toffs in tuxedos, i got really drunk before i went to, and fell out of the taxi in front of everyone. I was so drunk that i couldnt even drink my free drink, and then i ended up crying because i missed yorkshire!

not so many tuxs at manchesters freshers ball, i think. a few toffs but you can always avoid them. i wish i had gone to the freshers ball purely because everyone meets so many people there.
i wasn't to impressed by the ball to be honest though mine was 4-5yrs ago now!

Plus i went home really ill as i got freshers flu mid ball hahaha :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending