The Student Room Group
dasha962
hi, i am applying for aeronautical Meng in sept 2010 and am going to start flying lesson before that, will doing flying lessons effect my uni studies but will it boost my application.
thanks

I would think it might give your application a little boost (as in, it'll show that you're interested in planes, and that you know how one works) but I think the people assessing your application are going to be very aware of the fact that very few people your age can afford flying lessons. So I would be surprised if it would give you any advantage over an applicant who has done the standard things such as background reading, a Headstart course or something etc. But it should make you memorable, at least.

Also I suspect they would consider the flying lessons to be something of a privilege and if they interview you will have higher expectations of you, a bit like how they have higher expectations of a private school pupil than a state school one. i.e. they are going to be interviewing you thinking "this guy/girl's having flying lessons but is he/she actually interested in the engineering, or does he/she just want to dick about in planes?"

Latest