The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on the university and some times the course.

This is a rough guide though

1st year = 0% but you must pass 100/120 credits to go level 2 (although really you need to pass 120/120)
2nd year = 25% again you need to pass 100/120 credits.
3rd year = 75% and you need to realy pass 120 credits.

40% = 3rd
50% = 2:2
60% = 2:1
70% = 1st

I hope this helps a little.
Reply 2
Spot on, but at Manchester the 25% from Y2 is made up of the best module mark and the average mark of all other modules. In Y3 the marks on every module count, but some moduules are double credit. In addition to this there is a complex formula of possible boundaries of marks within which you will be awarded a particular classification. It's explained in your course handbook.
AT82
It depends on the university and some times the course.

This is a rough guide though

1st year = 0% but you must pass 100/120 credits to go level 2 (although really you need to pass 120/120)
2nd year = 25% again you need to pass 100/120 credits.
3rd year = 75% and you need to realy pass 120 credits.

40% = 3rd
50% = 2:2
60% = 2:1
70% = 1st

I hope this helps a little.

Yeah, I’ve got all that, what I’m trying to work out is how they work out the final classification after giving each module its own “mark”.

They don’t just work out the average do they?
Reply 4
On my course they go "your mark = number of marks from questions + 3x number of fully correct questions answered + 2x number of decently answered question (-24 if you answered more than 8 questions), and that's your mark, your degree classification is whatever we feel you deserved"
Reply 5
hm, well on my four year course it goes 10 20 30 40% over the 4 years. You guys have it easy. :p:
Reply 6
At Swansea, you had to pass everything - none of this 100/120 credit point malarke!

1st year didn't count - although it does at some unis - UoL for instance year 1 = 10% for 'normal' degrees (i.e. not medicine!)

The degree was calculated as follows:

top 80 credit points from year 3 had a weighting of 3
the next top 80 credit points from years 2 and 3 had a weighting of 2
remaning 80 credit points from year 2 had a weighting of 1

Then apply formula (can't remember what it was anymore!) and volia!
Reply 7
martynwilliams
Yeah, I’ve got all that, what I’m trying to work out is how they work out the final classification after giving each module its own “mark”.

They don’t just work out the average do they?

It depends on wierd and wonderful things called "conventions" - which set out the methods of calculation and criteria for the awarding of degrees. For example at Warwick, the conventions stated that you had to get 4 and a half 2.1's to get a 2.1 overall, with no fails etc etc. Conventions vary from place to place. Sorry that I can't provide a clear and simple answer.
Fluffy
At Swansea, you had to pass everything - none of this 100/120 credit point malarke!

1st year didn't count - although it does at some unis - UoL for instance year 1 = 10% for 'normal' degrees (i.e. not medicine!)

The degree was calculated as follows:

top 80 credit points from year 3 had a weighting of 3
the next top 80 credit points from years 2 and 3 had a weighting of 2
remaning 80 credit points from year 2 had a weighting of 1

Then apply formula (can't remember what it was anymore!) and volia!

Yeah, I need 240 credits over the two years to graduate.

So basically, my best 4 modules from the third year (20 credits each) will weigh 3, the next 4 from the 3rd and 2nd year will weigh 2 and the next 4 will weigh 1?
Reply 9
But you can get whats called compensated passes this why you could get 100 credits and still pass. If say you got 38% in two modules but passed everything else they would give you a compensated pass.
edders
hm, well on my four year course it goes 10 20 30 40% over the 4 years. You guys have it easy. :p:

Mine's the same, I'm expecting a 2:2.
Reply 11
AT82
But you can get whats called compensated passes this why you could get 100 credits and still pass. If say you got 38% in two modules but passed everything else they would give you a compensated pass.

Not everywhere they don't!
Reply 12
martynwilliams
Yeah, I need 240 credits over the two years to graduate.

So basically, my best 4 modules from the third year (20 credits each) will weigh 3, the next 4 from the 3rd and 2nd year will weigh 2 and the next 4 will weigh 1?

That's how the biological sciences degrees worked. Not sure about other departments - it should be in your course handbook...
Reply 13
It depends from uni to uni AND from course to course, but you can use this for a general guide:

http://brahms.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~database/Database/Indicator.html
Reply 14
But be aware that for some courses, even if you do really well in all the modules, failing the final year project fails the degree. (even if the proportion of marks on the project would still let you pass).
Reply 15
Hiya

Just moved here from Australia. We dont have the 1st class, 2:1, 2.2 thing here with your degrees cos we're too backward, but if i averaged 80% for my degree - what is that? A 2:1 approx? Just so when I go for interviews with prospective employers, i can tell them. CHeers
Reply 16
nope 80% is normally a first. First range begins normally from around 70-75%
60% and above a 2.1
50 ish and above 2.2 varies slightly from uni to uni.

But its not really marked in percentages in the same way as other countries. For example 70-80% are the main range of firsts you would have to be a serious genius to get more than 80% for anything on the courses I've studied at least and in fact its very rare for someone to get over 75%, although there are probably a few geniuses lurking on this forum.
Reply 17
From what I hear a first is quite an achievement, as you need to grade highly and consistently throughout your course, apparently one bad term is enough to spoil your chances of a first. I only know one person who got a first actually... my mum :P
Reply 18
Wow!!! I am totally gobsmacked. thanks!!
Reply 19
segat1
Wow!!! I am totally gobsmacked. thanks!!

see also here

Latest

Trending

Trending