The Student Room Group

Commuting to London

Hello.

Basically, I'm hoping to go to SOAS (to do Economics) and I currently live in a suburb near Southampton.

I want to stay at home because of a long term relationship. I know this is 'stupid' but enough people have tried to dissuade me so don't bother, i'd just really appreciate some advice.

My guess is that I'll need to get a rail season ticket, which is about 90 quid a week, to get from either Eastleigh or Winchester - > London Waterloo then get the tube to Russell Sq or wherever. I'd also need to get to the train station (probably cycling, it's about 2 miles away from home, that's not really a problem...)

What are the main problems going to be with doing this? I figure I'll be travelling about 2/2 and a half hours each way, so obviously the main problem is going to be the hassle.. i'll save about 100 quid a week, which is nice. I also don't give a **** about missing out on 'uni life', at least for the first year, as it's honestly worth it. Soo the crux is ..

What is my timetable probably going to look like ? Will I have days off? Will I be able to specifically arrange lessons, due to the fact that I have such a big commute, to maybe get a day a week off, or to get late starts etc. ?

Thanks very much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't have a lot of time for studying if you are spending 5 hours a day travelling, that is the main problem.
they won't arrange lessons around your travel arrangements.

Also you will find it hard to make any real friends.
Reply 3
Social issues don't concern me, never been a problem for me (not that i'm antisocial i just find it very easy to make friends).

I can always work on the train? Hmm. Something to consider though, thanks.
Reply 4
The thing is uni timetables vary so much from day to day. You have days when there's just one thing on. Are you going to spend hours travelling just to go to one lecture? And then things always get cancelled. It's very convenient not to be too far from the places you have to be. 6 hours a day commuting is way, way too much hassle.
Your studying will be severely hampered by the time and effort it takes to commute. When people ask you why you commute they will realise you are pathetic and pussy whipped
I'm sorry, but you are not being realistic at all. The commute will have a major impact on your studying. You say that you will do the work on the train? Don't kid yourself on, a train into London will be busy almost all of the time. It will have a negative impact on the quality. You're staying at home because of a long term relationship? I'm going to St Andrews and she is going to Durham, we've both agreed to keep the relationship going. Successful or not, we are going to try. Many others will be going to same uni as you and will be in long term relationships at home. It's part of life, just deal with it.
Reply 7
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Your studying will be severely hampered by the time and effort it takes to commute. When people ask you why you commute they will realise you are pathetic and pussy whipped

**** off you virgin ****

i'm going to talk to her about it. if it isnt working after like, the first term, is there a way i could move home, and then try commuting?
timrc
**** off you virgin ****

i'm going to talk to her about it. if it isnt working after like, the first term, is there a way i could move home, and then try commuting?

Hear that? It's the sound of people wanting to offer sound advice leaving. Get your head out the clouds, we didn't say that you couldn't commute, we just said it's a stupid option for that length of time.
timrc
Hello.

Basically, I'm hoping to go to SOAS (to do Economics) and I currently live in a suburb near Southampton.

I want to stay at home because of a long term relationship. I know this is 'stupid' but enough people have tried to dissuade me so don't bother, i'd just really appreciate some advice.

My guess is that I'll need to get a rail season ticket, which is about 90 quid a week, to get from either Eastleigh or Winchester - > London Waterloo then get the tube to Russell Sq or wherever. I'd also need to get to the train station (probably cycling, it's about 2 miles away from home, that's not really a problem...)

What are the main problems going to be with doing this? I figure I'll be travelling about 2/2 and a half hours each way, so obviously the main problem is going to be the hassle.. i'll save about 100 quid a week, which is nice. I also don't give a **** about missing out on 'uni life', at least for the first year, as it's honestly worth it. Soo the crux is ..

What is my timetable probably going to look like ? Will I have days off? Will I be able to specifically arrange lessons, due to the fact that I have such a big commute, to maybe get a day a week off, or to get late starts etc. ?

Thanks very much.

Is Southampton further than Luton? I know of people who travel from Luton to London everyday and it hasn't affected them.
I hate long commutes as I've always lived 20 minutes max from school/uni/work/friends be it walking or by bike.

I reckon you'll get seriously fed up of this hassle, in the dark winter mornings SAD will set in
PearlyWhites
Is Southampton further than Luton? I know of people who travel from Luton to London everyday and it hasn't affected them.

It's further than brighton :eek3:
You are going to resent the journey if you're only going in for an hour that day. Though I suppose you could pack some library time in while there, but I think your commute time might negate any goodness.

If you feel it's worth it, then try it by all means, but perhaps chat to your partner about reassessing the situation after you've done it for a month or two? Rather than committing to this being your way of life for three+ years, agree for it to be your life for the first term, then make the decision from there.

EDIT: I note on reading the thread properly that you've already suggested this. Ahem.
I started out commuting by car an hour and a half a day to work. Got so fed up I moved there after a month.

When i was at Sheffield uni my halls were a 30 minute walk to lecture theatres and even then I could barely be bothered to go in for a day with one lecture.

I'd move there then if it isn't working move home, but the other half can always come to visit you on weekends and you them? Seeing each other only at the weekend and saving the 5 hours commuting a day would be better imo.
computersaysnooooo
It's further than brighton :eek3:

LOL! I would not recommend a commute then!
Reply 15
Madjackismad
Hear that? It's the sound of people wanting to offer sound advice leaving. Get your head out the clouds, we didn't say that you couldn't commute, we just said it's a stupid option for that length of time.

ah right calling me pussy whipped is sound advice? great.

i appreciate all the proper constructive advice from everyone, i spoke to her and i think it's more likely i'll just live there and occasionally pop home at weekends or when i have days off and stuff. Dunno, i'll see what works.

The last thing i can ask is what's the situation with student accomodation, can you get it like on a termly basis, or do you need to have it all year? Just to see if i can like, live there for a term and if that doesnt work drop out and live at home, and the other way roudn ?
I don't think this is a good idea. It's a long way to travel every day.
timrc
ah right calling me pussy whipped is sound advice? great.

i appreciate all the proper constructive advice from everyone, i spoke to her and i think it's more likely i'll just live there and occasionally pop home at weekends or when i have days off and stuff. Dunno, i'll see what works.

The last thing i can ask is what's the situation with student accomodation, can you get it like on a termly basis, or do you need to have it all year? Just to see if i can like, live there for a term and if that doesnt work drop out and live at home, and the other way roudn ?

Popping home at weekend is a much more realistic option. :yep:

I think it depends on the university. You tend to pay the money for a full university year, but I'm sure there is ways that you can drop out.

Sorry, doesn't notice the pussy whipped comment by him. :o:
Yeah I agree with most of the others sorry, I know it may not be what you want to hear. I spent last year commuting 4 hours per day to and from college and it drove me absolutely nuts. It was alright for a while but within a month in the freezing weather especially it became hell. Plus that my tutors all assumed I lived close by constantly and were less than understanding if there was a transport issue or I had an appointment.
Reply 19
Southampton is quite difficult to commute to from London. It depends partly on where in London you live-if you live in North or East London it's an awful journey.
You definitely won't enjoy the train journeys every day, as many of the trains will be crowded.
What about when there are train delays etc?

Latest

Trending

Trending