The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Petrified, and I haven't even started my degree yet! I think it helps if you go into uni having some sort of idea of what you want to do, though. Not necessarily a concrete idea - but why rack up £25,000 or something of debt just to not be sure what you want to do even once you've finished. I was initially going to do a law degree, one of the primary reasons actually being I'd have some sort of job afterwards - but I think that's completely the wrong approach, too. It seemed fairly interesting, but nothing I was passionate about or necessarily knew enough about to want a degree solely in that. Conversion courses are available if necessary, anyway. I chose my degree because I feel it's what I'd do best in, and you need to pick something you're good at and enjoy, after all. Ultimately, I'd like to work for the civil service or in journalism, something directly political (perhaps related to foreign affairs/affairs within the EU) or something like that. Most of those things need a degree, so I think that as long as I get experience and try to stand out, too, I should hopefully be OK - particularly because I took a gap year, and have picked a uni this time for all the right reasons... the uni seems to fit me, and I'm pretty sure the course they're offering suits me too.

Fingers crossed, but it's still a few years away yet so I'm going to make the most of university and going back into education first. :smile: I think as long as you're determined and willing to work hard, things should (hopefully) work out, but you have to try not to get demoralised.
I'm starting to worry now, I took English literature, German, history and politics A level.
I'm ******.
(:Becca(:
I'm starting to worry now, I took English literature, German, history and politics A level.
I'm ******.

Why? They're good A levels. Not like you took subjects that are actually considered soft, e.g. Photography or something like that. I think the Cambridge blacklisted subjects is a good guide. They all have a high academic content. But, it does depend what you want to do at university... if you regret not taking a science or something despite the fact that you enjoyed it, you might not have as many of those routes available to you. You aren't even on track to getting a degree at the moment, so need to panic just yet!
Stressworthy
Why? They're good A levels. Not like you took subjects that are actually considered soft, e.g. Photography or something like that. I think the Cambridge blacklisted subjects is a good guide. They all have a high academic content. But, it does depend what you want to do at university... if you regret not taking a science or something despite the fact that you enjoyed it, you might not have as many of those routes available to you. You aren't even on track to getting a degree at the moment, so need to panic just yet!

I quite fancied doing a degree in German, but no good universities will take me if I don't get an A.
Plus I can't see any career prospects bar teaching.
romeosbitch
I'm not petrified, too numb from banging my head against the desk.
I'm trying to finish my final year coursework, look for a job, and look for a place all at the same time.
In three weeks I'll have finished but I've no idea what job I want to do. I've signed up with a temping agency so that'll give me some work, but i've just been speaking to an estate agent and me and my girlfriend need to earn 2 and a half times the rent in order to rent a place. While I'm out of work we're over 500 pounds less than that, so no place.
Added to this, I can only look for jobs in the surrounding area because she's on a fixed contract and I can't drive, so I'm limited to jobs on a bus route. I'm not even looking for a graduate job, just any full time job that pays enough to cover the rent.
English is such a stupid degree. I'm even now looking at teacher training and I swore i'd never be a teacher. Surely the point of an education system is to go on and get a job, not go back into the education system because your education didn't get you anywhere.
so yeah, fml.

Please don't bother going for teaching with your sh1tty attitude you will not last a month, thank god.
I quite fancied doing a degree in German, but no good universities will take me if I don't get an A.

Birmingham will, and it's a pretty good uni... *shameless plug* =P
There are usually careers advisers available at uni too.

Languages students don't just become teachers... there's quite a lot available in terms of foreign affairs, translators, working for international companies/organisations in a range of different roles (and occasionally for some of these you can go abroad too and use your skills), converting to law, industry; commerce and marketing, banking and insurance, advertising and the media...

Plenty there, the point being that the skills you gain in a language degree can be applied to lots of different jobs.
Reply 86
I'm a teacher now, and while there are some enjoyable and advantageous aspects to it, I do understand the criticisms of the job that are being floated here, and I can't see myself being in the profession until I'm 60, but ultimately it is a graduate job and people can make of that what they will.

I agree with what Stressworthy said above about language degrees. I have a friend who graduated from languages and got a job in publishing easily, as they liked having someone who didn't come from an English background. Languages are so useful in loads of industries, you're not just stuck with teaching. :smile:
Zebrastripes
I agree with what Stressworthy said above about language degrees. I have a friend who graduated from languages and got a job in publishing easily, as they liked having someone who didn't come from an English background. Languages are so useful in loads of industries, you're not just stuck with teaching. :smile:

Well, I guess I have to try and pass more than one subject this year then. XD
Stressworthy
Birmingham will, and it's a pretty good uni... *shameless plug* =P
There are usually careers advisers available at uni too.

Languages students don't just become teachers... there's quite a lot available in terms of foreign affairs, translators, working for international companies/organisations in a range of different roles (and occasionally for some of these you can go abroad too and use your skills), converting to law, industry; commerce and marketing, banking and insurance, advertising and the media...

Plenty there, the point being that the skills you gain in a language degree can be applied to lots of different jobs.

Birmingham is a little far from home for me. XD
Sure I can end up jobless, but in that case I'll just go to some third world country and volunteer for the rest of my life. Doing something like feeding elephants :biggrin:
Reply 91

Why do you think so?
Reply 92
I haven't started uni yet, but if all fails, I intended to do what Andy Dufresne did at the end of the Shawshank Redemption..........
Paul PTS
Why do you think so?

Because I don't see how it sets me up for any careers.
prospectivEEconomist
It's a shame you aren't doing a degree in something useful AND chinese - that would be one cracking degree. Sorry to be blunt.

Because there is nothing more fufilling than wanting to be an economist

I for one blame this economic crisis on economists.

I don't need my coca cola and my italian pizzas, and you are the spawn of Satan for backing up those who sell me them with facts and figures.

You and your stupid professions- lawers, bankers, economists. Work like a Japanese beever for your feelings of self worth- I KNOW YOUR SECRET. THINK OF THAT WHILE YOU'RE STUDYING YOUR ******* NUMBERS

Now go and sit in a tree and think about what I said.
PatmaCrotch
Please don't bother going for teaching with your sh1tty attitude you will not last a month, thank god.

I have a poor attitude towards the education system because the amount of people in the same position as myself appalls me. If teaching is someething you have your heart set on then I respect that, but for increasing numbers of graduates, they do it because they have no other options and that's my point, there must be something wrong with a system that gives you no other options than to carry on teaching other people to be teachers.
Reply 96
My job is pretty much guaranteed if I pass, to start in the August!

My brother did a masters in History and was out of work for a couple of months before getting onto the graduate training scheme with the Highways Agency. Guess he was pretty lucky tbh :smile:
Absinth
I see nothing wrong with that *shrug*. Teachers haven't exactly done badly by any means. They've done well imo. What about people who teach university students, or go into research? Would you say that they've only "ended up back in the system" (that being academia)? It's surprising the lack of respect teachers get in this country.

I think my point is that doing a degree in something like international relations to become a primary maths teacher seems a little strange. Teaching is often seen as a vocation and imo should be vocational. A lot more degrees should lead to careers. And if that means that people don't go to university/training until they're a bit older and have decided what they want to do then I think it's better than the hundreds of graduates who get a degree and then go into something like teaching for lack of other options.
The issue for most students isn't that they are going to be jobless at the end of their degree, relatively few will be long term unemployed, the issue will be that they will not be doing their preferred career or a career related to their degree, and they won't be getting the salary they expected.

Most students generally expect that they will graduate, start a job on about £21/22k and be on about £35-40k by the age of 30. For a lot of them, if they don't get a graduate job it is more like £14/16k starting, and after a few years they will be lucky to get around £20k. Some will earn more for doing sales based roles with commission, eg a girl I knew made £26k from an £16k basic, but she was doing a lot of hours in a very stressful job. At least under the current system, the student loan repayments don't cripple you if you are on a fairly low paid job.

I reckon these days the 'non grad job' (ie working in sales/general admin/general retail) is becoming more and more the norm from graduates of the traditional redbricks.
RiverRubble
Because there is nothing more fufilling than wanting to be an economist

I for one blame this economic crisis on economists.

I don't need my coca cola and my italian pizzas, and you are the spawn of Satan for backing up those who sell me them with facts and figures.

You and your stupid professions- lawers, bankers, economists. Work like a Japanese beever for your feelings of self worth- I KNOW YOUR SECRET. THINK OF THAT WHILE YOU'RE STUDYING YOUR ******* NUMBERS

Now go and sit in a tree and think about what I said.

Someones home got repossessed :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending