The Student Room Group

Brunel University or Warwick University?

I've narrowed down my university choices to either Brunel University or Warwick University. I'm going to study Computer System Engineering (Electronic Engineering) and and having troubles deciding on which university.

Which is better for Engineering and should I be more concerned about the university ranking or the course ranking? Warwick's a better ranked university, but it's sort of in the middle of nowhere which would mean a lot of travelling to go anywhere.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
everyone here will say Warwick
Reply 2
Warwick without a doubt!
omg i cant believe this Warwick is much much much better.
Reply 4
Isn't Brunel more known for Engineering compared to Warwick though?
Reply 5
sidiz4
everyone here will say Warwick

Wrong, Brunel is much better known for engineering than anything else and Warwick's eng degrees are their least prestigeous. I think it is 50-50 depending on where you want to live.
Warwick.

/thread
Reply 7
warwick. brunel is boring (srsly)
Warwick isn't too far from Birmingham which is very central and has great links to everywhere (about 1 hr 20 mins on the train to London - dead useful if I need to do a bit of reading but don't want to be bored out of my mind), not far from Manchester or any other major city tbh, so it's not too bad.
Warwick.
Warwick. Seriously.
Reply 11
Lol, why do you even need to think this through?

Warwick.
If you are dead set on being an engineer - Brunel

If you are not sure (or want to keep options open) - Warwick
Reply 13
nicb19
Isn't Brunel more known for Engineering compared to Warwick though?

Hi Nick.. well you are right its true that Brunel is known for its engineering school and every year there are hundreds of students who come in from all around the world to study the wide variety of courses at Brunel. Warwick is really lonely place and can bore you to death, its easily about 2 hours away frm London and the ticket prices to London are expensive and will consume alot of your time. If u wanna enjoy and study at a good reputed university you must choose Brunel.
Reply 14
Brunel is a better university for Engineering, hands down.
Reply 15
warwick has a crap reputation for engineering. brunel is marginally better.

but really it's what you make of the degree. i'm sure the teaching isn't awful, and of course warwick has the benefit of institutional prestige. when it comes to research, i'm pretty sure little goes on in warwick but as far as undergraduate engineering degrees are concerned.. it shouldn't matter too much.

do bear in mind a first from brunel outclasses a 2:1 from warwick.

they're both traditional universities. sure, the consensus is that warwick is more prestigious than brunel. but if you really think about it, it's no Oxbridge. and for that matter, it's certainly no Oxbridge/imperial college in the engineering department.

verdict: go to the university you prefer

source: just finished first year of engineering at a top university. first class honours and have spoken to numerous employers so i know what i'm on about.
Reply 16
I have MSc Engineering Management offer from Brunel University and Engineering Business Management offer from WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group).. Although Warwick has an overall high ranking but Brunel is good for Engineering and my degree is of Engineering Management.... Further Brunel is in London and warwick is at a remote location.

I am unable to make decision on which university to stick with?? any suggestions?
Reply 17
Original post by Apachi

Original post by Apachi
I have MSc Engineering Management offer from Brunel University and Engineering Business Management offer from WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group).. Although Warwick has an overall high ranking but Brunel is good for Engineering and my degree is of Engineering Management.... Further Brunel is in London and warwick is at a remote location.

I am unable to make decision on which university to stick with?? any suggestions?

I'd definitely say Warwick.
Reply 18
Original post by Apachi

It depends on what you are planning to achieve and what you stand to get from the course. I am doing a masters in brunel and I know a lot of people doing the engineering management course. The course is very tough and frankly can be frustrating but Warwick on the other hand is mostly course work and more people get distinctions. But Warwick's engineering reputation isn't that great, if you are sticking to engineering after the course pick brunel but if you want to enter another industry like investment banking please pick warwick.
Reply 19
Original post by im so academic
Warwick.

/thread

Im so academic has spoken..

Quick Reply

Latest