The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stefany-a
do you need english to do accounts at uni ?

i dont think so.

science and maths would do it.

email specific unis to see their particualar view.
Reply 21
Anon Person
I know, I was just pointing it out.

What was your C in, if you don't mind me asking?

English.

I don't regret taking it though as it is important to improve your writing skills from SG.
Dado Prso
there's a big difference between minimum entry requirements and actually getting in these days. for example, two people in my year were rejected from engineering at edinburgh with AAAAB and AAABB at higher. Also there was a guy on here was rejected from st andrews for physics who had AAAABB. it's a mad world out there....

I got an offer with AAAAC. :h:

niiiice.

but BBB at advanced higher :O ?
isnt that a bit far (or is that for 2nd year)

you already have to right grades... no?

where you planning on going?
Reply 23
stefany-a
do you need english to do accounts at uni ?

Nope but I know for the top two Unis for accounting in Scotland (Strathclyde and Glasgow) Higher English is prefered.
Dado Prso
English.

I don't regret taking it though as it is important to improve your writing skills from SG.

most unis understand that english is a hit or miss exam...
so most dont mind... as long as you have good grades in your field.

different for everyone.

youre PS must have been well good etc :smile:
Reply 25
Higher English isn't really required anymore for most sciency based courses. The little strathclyde woman I spoke to said that they don't really care about it.

But, I'm not trying to scare you...there's people with degrees in our college's nightclass higher english cos they can't get into things like teaching/managment jobs as they haven't done it.

It's challenging, but totally worth it. It develops your language, analytical skills and common sense. It's not really about getting the best grade, but more the skills you get from it. Think about it, and think about it beyond uni, will employers pick someone who's proved they can communicate well and got a decent grade for english as well as someone who knows their science, or someone who's just done sciencesciencescience?

Also, START WORKING ON YOUR PS ASAP!!! I worked on mine over the summer and got it done by october! Lol
Reply 26
am going to try an get some work experience over the summer, but I don't know what else can go on my PS. I used to play piano but haven't played in years, am part of the eco community at school but the last eco thing we did was years ago. ahhhhhhh my PS is going to rubbish :frown:
LuhLah
Higher English isn't really required anymore for most sciency based courses. The little strathclyde woman I spoke to said that they don't really care about it.

But, I'm not trying to scare you...there's people with degrees in our college's nightclass higher english cos they can't get into things like teaching/managment jobs as they haven't done it.

It's challenging, but totally worth it. It develops your language, analytical skills and common sense. It's not really about getting the best grade, but more the skills you get from it. Think about it, and think about it beyond uni, will employers pick someone who's proved they can communicate well and got a decent grade for english as well as someone who knows their science, or someone who's just done sciencesciencescience?

Also, START WORKING ON YOUR PS ASAP!!! I worked on mine over the summer and got it done by october! Lol

i get where you are coming from, good on cv etc

but imagine that was a condition!
thats a really hard condition to have, cos the exam can go either way....

might be a bit of a risk....

but if you do well, its worth it.
Reply 28
LouisVuitton43
niiiice.

but BBB at advanced higher :O ?
isnt that a bit far (or is that for 2nd year)

you already have to right grades... no?

where you planning on going?

It's not for 2nd year. I thought it was pretty harsh too but I would be capable of achieving it if I wanted to. I'm planning on doing engineering at edinburgh. :yep:

my PS was alright. I think the interview probably swayed them. One of the guys went as far as saying I would be well suited to 2nd year entry and could see that I was a determined chap.
stefany-a
am going to try an get some work experience over the summer, but I don't know what else can go on my PS. I used to play piano but haven't played in years, am part of the eco community at school but the last eco thing we did was years ago. ahhhhhhh my PS is going to rubbish :frown:

not really.

i got my PS up to scratch over the summer.

worked in marie curie
did placement of work experience
joined school clubs... that were very ***** and i dropped out of.

etc etc etc
Reply 30
Ahhh the hell of PS writing. So glad I don't have to do it ever again :bubbles:
Reply 31
LouisVuitton43
not really.

i got my PS up to scratch over the summer.

worked in marie curie
did placement of work experience
joined school clubs... that were very ***** and i dropped out of.

etc etc etc

I might do that !! does volunteering looks good ?
how long did you work their ?
stefany-a
I might do that !! does volunteering looks good ?
how long did you work their ?

every saturday... for 5 months?

wasnt too bad :smile:

and yeah, it does, essp if you need something other to add to your PS
Reply 33
LouisVuitton43
every saturday... for 5 months?

wasnt too bad :smile:

and yeah, it does, essp if you need something other to add to your PS

thank you thank you, I never thought about doing this !
stefany-a

Do a sport :wink: .
Reply 35
would it be inpossible to go from a C to an A in chemistry? I did it in SG physics where i got a 3,3 in the prelim and a 1 in the final exam. Also how can i improve to argument bit of my history essays?
jono93
would it be inpossible to go from a C to an A in chemistry? I did it in SG physics where i got a 3,3 in the prelim and a 1 in the final exam. Also how can i improve to argument bit of my history essays?

You need a thread of argument going through the whole essay. For example, if you were doing the successes of the liberal reforms you would take a reform explain what it was etc, say the good things THEN say something to kind of contradict this ie "However, the reform was not completely free from flaws...." and then go on to explain the flaws. History is all about giving both sides of the issue, arguing each point and coming to a balanced conclusion. :smile:
I did Int2 English, not higher, since I failed it first time round and decided to do int2 instead. I got told by teachers without it I'd have no chance in getting in uni.

I did :wink:
:smile:
I'd just wanted to say, if it's not already been said, that we were told on Friday that Glasgow is going to start making it that you can only gain entry if you have sat the needed amount of higher in one-sitting. So for competitive course and science ones and such, you won't be able to do it over two-sittings. Or at least this is what my school has told us.
Reply 39
Livesindreams
I'd just wanted to say, if it's not already been said, that we were told on Friday that Glasgow is going to start making it that you can only gain entry if you have sat the needed amount of higher in one-sitting. So for competitive course and science ones and such, you won't be able to do it over two-sittings. Or at least this is what my school has told us.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh

Latest

Trending

Trending