The Student Room Group

Need a little help with understanding stock market.

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but I am wondering this. When a company makes profit, it obviously has to pay dividends to share holders. But they can't give all profits to shareholders or they'll have no money will they? So, what are the rules on how much money the company keeps for itself and how much it gives back to shareholders? (If you know what I mean). Do companies set their own rules about what percentage of profits they keep and what percentage they pay back in dividends?

Sorry it's not well explained but this has been really bugging me.

Scroll to see replies

The constitution/model articles of the company will probably set out what happens to the profits.
And shareholders are not legally entitled to a dividend, either. Its not often they're refused one, though.
Reply 2
Today's Stock Market Report
Helium was up, feathers were down. Paper was stationary.
Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading. Knives were up sharply.
Cows steered into a bull market. Pencils lost a few points.
Hiking equipment was trailing.
Elevators rose, while escalators continued their slow decline.
Weights were up in heavy trading.
Light switches were off.
Mining equipment hit rock bottom. Diapers remain unchanged.
Shipping lines stayed at an even keel.
The market for raisins dried up.
Coca Cola fizzled.
Caterpillar stock inched up a bit.
Sun peaked at midday.
Balloon prices were inflated.
And Scott Tissue touched a new bottom.
And batteries exploded in an attempt to recharge the market...
heyhey922
Today's Stock Market Report
Helium was up, feathers were down. Paper was stationary.
Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading. Knives were up sharply.
Cows steered into a bull market. Pencils lost a few points.
Hiking equipment was trailing.
Elevators rose, while escalators continued their slow decline.
Weights were up in heavy trading.
Light switches were off.
Mining equipment hit rock bottom. Diapers remain unchanged.
Shipping lines stayed at an even keel.
The market for raisins dried up.
Coca Cola fizzled.
Caterpillar stock inched up a bit.
Sun peaked at midday.
Balloon prices were inflated.
And Scott Tissue touched a new bottom.
And batteries exploded in an attempt to recharge the market...

Wow what a useless post :facepalm2:
Reply 4
*Star*Guitar*
The constitution/model articles of the company will probably set out what happens to the profits.
And shareholders are not legally entitled to a dividend, either. Its not often they're refused one, though.

Aaah, OK. So they could instead give out more shares instead of a dividend for example and that way they wouldn't have to give out money?
dude55
Aaah, OK. So they could instead give out more shares instead of a dividend for example and that way they wouldn't have to give out money?

No. They don't have to give shareholders a share of the profits.
That's nothing. Diddly squat.
Issuing shares is done in order to raise finance, either to existing shareholders or new investors.
Reply 6
*Star*Guitar*
No. They don't have to give shareholders a share of the profits.
That's nothing. Diddly squat.
Issuing shares is done in order to raise finance, either to existing shareholders or new investors.

OK, I think I've got it now. So they might not give out any profits at all and the only way an investor could make money would be to sell their shares once they go up in value? Is that right? In which case they wouldn't be a very attractive company to invest in, would they?
dude55
OK, I think I've got it now. So they might not give out any profits at all and the only way an investor could make money would be to sell their shares once they go up in value? Is that right? In which case they wouldn't be a very attractive company to invest in, would they?

No it wouldn't be very attractive, hence why I said in my first post, that that is why a company would rarely withold dividends.
Reply 8
I've got a question for you:

how can you justify voting labour?
Reply 9
Fynch101
I've got a question for you:

how can you justify voting labour?

Aha, my sig has recently attracted a lot of attention. Even though this is completely off topic, I justify voting Labour because I personally agree with how Labour intend to sort out the economy. Secondly, I disagree with how the Conservatives feel the need to pour money into helping people who don't need help. :smile:

I hope this is good enough for you, I don't want this to turn into another political rant thread.
Reply 10
dude55
Aha, my sig has recently attracted a lot of attention. Even though this is completely off topic, I justify voting Labour because I personally agree with how Labour intend to sort out the economy. Secondly, I disagree with how the Conservatives feel the need to pour money into helping people who don't need help. :smile:

I hope this is good enough for you, I don't want this to turn into another political rant thread.

Conservatives and Lib Dems have way better economic policies. How can you support a national insurance rise? Everything in history points to tories being better at recession recovery.
Fynch101
Conservatives and Lib Dems have way better economic policies. How can you support a national insurance rise? Everything in history points to tories being better at recession recovery.

These would be?
Reply 12
yoyo462001
Wow what a useless post :facepalm2:

Silence! Eez funny.
Dividend policy depends on 4 things:
1) Historical dividend patterns - if a company is used to paying a small, but stable dividend, it will generally continue to do so in the future, no matter how profitable or unprofitable it is. Any change from a stable dividend policy would be perceived by the market in a negative way and the share price would drop.
2) Management's ability to invest profitably - if its management is able, the company will find investment opportunities where ROIC (Return on Invested Capital) is greater than WACC (Weighted Average Cost of Capital) and add value to the share price. Share price = No-growth price + NAV (Net Asset Value) of Future Investment Opportunities. In such a case, no (or few) dividends are paid out. If management sucks and ROIC<WACC, dividends will most likely be paid out.
3) Shareholder tax situation - if the company's shareholders face better tax rates for receiving dividends, the company will pay more dividends. If the shareholders face better tax rates for capital gains, the company will buy back shares instead of paying dividends.
4) Management's belief about stock price - if management perceives the stock of their firm as undervalued in the market, they will buy back shares instead of paying dividends because the opportunity is good. And the opposite is true.

There's more... But I'm too lazy to type....
Reply 14
Company can choose to pay out 100% of it's profit as dividend or 0% or anything in between. It's upto the CFO of the company to decide whether to reinvest the money into the business or not.
Reply 15
yoyo462001
These would be?

Lib dems - not blowing 100bn on trident

Cons - No National insurance rise

theres tons but I'd say they're the main ones.
Fynch101
Lib dems - not blowing 100bn on trident

Cons - No National insurance rise

theres tons but I'd say they're the main ones.

'Everything in history points to tories being better at recession recovery.' I was referring to this.
Reply 17
yoyo462001
'Everything in history points to tories being better at recession recovery.' I was referring to this.

John major/thatcher etc
Reply 18
dude55
I don't want this to turn into another political rant thread.

Too late. :frown:
Reply 19
Fynch101

I think a national insurance rise is better than what the Tories are proposing. A national insurance rise is only being condemned because it is seen as taxing jobs, it won't have a huge affect on the average employee. The employers will have to dish out a bit more dough yeah, but tough times hey. And Cameron's response is "Here are 100 really really rich businessmen who don't like the idea". Well done David, NO-ONE likes the idea but like I said before, tough times. As if 100 really rich businessmen's opinions have any relevance anyway, of course they're going to disagree!

The Tory policy on the other hand. Slash public spending by £6bn! in the first economic year. And how has David said he'll do this, oh yes, by cutting 'waste'. That's right, 'waste'. A little more information might be nice there David. I think cutting public spending by that much so quickly would have a far worse impact on jobs than a national insurance rise.

At least Labour have genuinely told us how they plan to get us out of recession and get economic growth. Unlike the Tories who lets face it, are basically a bunch of rich schoolboys who got together at Oxford and decided they had the right to run the country. The fact David, George and Boris all went to Oxford together and are now in politics together, in the same party in tight-knit positions isn't coincidence.

And as for Lib Dems saving £100bn from Trident, well, if you think it's a good idea to lose our own nuclear weapons then, like Gordon has said, get real. These weapons are the biggest deterrent for war that there is.

Latest

Trending

Trending