The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Erulisse
God I want to believe you. I respect your determination. Good luck with vet school x

Please believe me, don't let something like that stop you from achieving your dream (I apologise for how cheesy that sounded :o:).

And thanks, but I have to get there first, I am not confident with my grades :p:
Reply 21
Fingers crossed for you!! (I'd go with your sig :wink: )
Erulisse
I don't want to rub you or anyone else up the wrong way or anything - I really don't - but it isn't that easy to just forget worrries you might have about going to uni.

I mean I totally agree with some of what you're saying: that the op is a good applicant, that interviewers will see right through it etc etc

The only thing I have to say is it really isn't that easy to overlook issues such as clubbing.

I got turned down for a mixture of reasons and I don't see the point in reapplying due to social reasons.

90% of my year ignores me, and I swear I have done nothing wrong apart from getting good grades and being naturally quiet. Now I am in sixth year I have given up trying to fit in because I don't want to be friends with people who were so unsubstantiatedly horrible to me. I am not overexaggerating - apart from about five people everyone has said something horrible to me. And I'm not being oversensitive: I am talking things like "go kill yourself cos nobody cares", "if you weren't such a loser people would talk to you" and entire lessons spent with every member of that class giving me a head to toe commentary of what is wrong with me.

And it isn't only school.

For obvious reasons, I am worried about going to uni. I want(ed) to be a vet with all my heart. If I don't fit in at uni, it will be like I don't fit in anywhere so I am scared to find out the outcome. I just want you to understand that it really isn't that simple.

x

To become a vet you need to have an interest in the subject, you have to enjoy working with people and animals, you have to have empathy, compassion, etc. You may go there not knowing anybody (the vast majority of us don't) but you will have a hell of a lot in common and generally the type of people veterinary science attracts means that you will make plenty of awesome friends. Now sure I'm not best friends with everybody but I haven't yet met a 'nasty' vet or a bully - if you don't get on it's more likely to be via difference of opinion or different interests rather than there being any animosity there.

Sure you may not like clubbing but a lot of us don't, we come in all shapes and sizes, you will always have company in whatever you do whether it's staying in with a takeaway and watching DVDs, going to the pub for a quiet drink, etc. It will only be a barrier if you lock yourself away from everyone.

University is much more open and diverse, you also have more control of your environment. If you don't get on with someone or they're nasty towards you it is easy to avoid them, it isn't like school where you're trapped in rigid classes for a set amount of hours every day. Likewise your personal tutor and the staff are willing and able to deal with bullies and the like - probably more so than at secondary school level. We aren't talking about detentions here, people get fined or even kicked out of uni and their chosen career if they don't play ball.

Also bear in mind that there isn't the competition at university. You've got to where you need to be, there isn't any competition for places any more - you're equals rather than kids striving to outdo each other. I've had exams where people who sat an earlier exam stayed to give us a detailed run down of what to expect, ultimately to help us avoid some of the mistakes they made and it's often by people I've never really spoken to before.

Be yourself and don't let them win.
Reply 23
At school I wasn't overly popular because I was literally the only one who didn't drink and I also lived away from where the bulk of my classmates lived. At uni there are people from all over, with different qualities but luckily in this course with common interests. As people have said, it's a great chance for a new start and you'll likely make some excellent friends.
If it's really a dream of yours, please don't give up on it. I thought of a lot of excuses as to why I would be a rubbish vet student and why I shouldn't waste peoples time by applying, but at the end of the day I realised that it really was for me and that I had to go through with it. :biggrin:
At school you get lumped with people and in a way are forced to be friends with them. At Uni YOU choose your friends.
Reply 25
I've had these thoughts before. I'm a crammer, i don't really listen in lesson, i wait until deadlines are just around the corner before starting coursework etc. etc. but i know that i'm going to have to change this for uni, i know you can't get away with that at vet school. Like someone said, if you really do enjoy what you're learning about and love the course, you'll put the effort in.

And one of my worries is the opposite to yours, i absolutely love clubbing, being out, being with other people, i'm never in, i'm just hoping i learn to say no tonights out at uni so it doesn't get in the way of my work!

If you want it enough, you'll make it work! x
Reply 26
Beckybob
I've had these thoughts before. I'm a crammer, i don't really listen in lesson, i wait until deadlines are just around the corner before starting coursework etc. etc. but i know that i'm going to have to change this for uni, i know you can't get away with that at vet school. Like someone said, if you really do enjoy what you're learning about and love the course, you'll put the effort in.

And one of my worries is the opposite to yours, i absolutely love clubbing, being out, being with other people, i'm never in, i'm just hoping i learn to say no tonights out at uni so it doesn't get in the way of my work!

If you want it enough, you'll make it work! x

Me too D;
It's hard enough trying to stay in at the moment. I'm going out tomorrow night for my friend's birthday, but I've not been out all week, it's weird. It needs to be done, though.
~*starlight*conquest*~
I decided I wanted to be a vet when I was 15. For 3 years I've driven myself with tunnel vision to giving myself the best chance possible of getting into vet school. This involved getting 20+ weeks of work experience, good grades at A level (got AAAA at AS, predicted AAA at A2) and 'trying' to keep up with current issues like btb ect.. I didn't get into vet school this year, and I took the last rejection pretty well, thinking 'It's ok. I'll take a gap year, re-apply next year, and since I'll already have my AAA at A level, and more work experience and knowledge, I'm bound to get in.'

The thing is, as I'm starting to think about what I want to do for my gap year, I'm also wondering whether I should reapply to vet school. I mean, who am I kidding? As an applicant, I tick almost all the boxes, but as a person, I'm lazy, have a short attention span, short term memory and I like having a lot of free time. How am I going to get through vet school if I know already that it's very unlikely I'm going to be studying every night, probably going to be quite antisocial (not a big fan of going clubbing), probably not going to be listening much in lectures and going to forget everything I've learned after each summer holiday? Will I really be able to cope with the stress?

Has anyone else had similar doubts and still gotten in? What do you do to get yourself back on track?

you sounds just like me. i've spent most of my gap year doing absolutely nothing, and didnt do mcuh work last year of college so i'm really not looking forward to having to work, the thought of having to get up early every day is bad enough
Reply 28
starfall

come to liverpool and i'll be your friend :smile:

:smile:
I think what I'm feeling atm is something similar to pre-wedding jitters (is that the right term? o.O you know, when the bride or groom suddenly want to run away at the altar??). I'm trying to take the easy option out, when what I REALLY want is to be a vet. I guess my situation's not as uncommon as I thought... I'm just going to have to be brave and keep going... :frown:
Reply 30
~*starlight*conquest*~
I think what I'm feeling atm is something similar to pre-wedding jitters (is that the right term? o.O you know, when the bride or groom suddenly want to run away at the altar??). I'm trying to take the easy option out, when what I REALLY want is to be a vet. I guess my situation's not as uncommon as I thought... I'm just going to have to be brave and keep going... :frown:

it'll be worth it next year when you get lots of unconditional offers :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending