The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

caroline147
A better question is how can vegetarians justify eating dairy & eggs?
Vegetarianism isn't exactly a coherent decision, so vegetarians who criticise pescetarianism really irritate me: not eating meat but condoning the suffering of animals just so they can eat chocolate is just as hypocritical.

Exactly. Chickens kept for eggs have far far worse living conditions than chicken kept for meat.
I'd like everyone who is saying "fish are lesser beings who don't have the same capacity for suffering as 'higher animals'" to actually come up with some sources.
I could destroy a TGI Fridays burger right now :yum:
SevenDoorsDown
Since my being on this site, I must say that I find that the stupidest thing I have read

Explain?
IMO vegetarianism is a personal choice and thats about it. Nothing more or less.Talking of animal rights and so on? Torturing, abusing them is wrong else having them for survival ain't. :rolleyes:
nolongerhearthemusic
Explain?

you imagining a line to fit your own agenda
illusionz
Exactly. Chickens kept for eggs have far far worse living conditions than chicken kept for meat.

The egg was to become a chicken eventually unless the place was nuked or a snake had em. :rolleyes:
SevenDoorsDown
you imagining a line to fit your own agenda

What is my agenda?
Cicerao
Why the **** does anyone have to justify it?

And I'm a "full" strict vegetarian...

Seconded I am too a "full" strict vegetarian and cannot see why or what the can justify it for.
nolongerhearthemusic
What is my agenda?

the agenda that says it's not ok to eat animals but it's ok to eat fish
SevenDoorsDown
the agenda that says it's not ok to eat animals but it's ok to eat fish

I don't think it's okay to eat either. I'd still rather eat a fish than a cow.
Reply 111
ibysaiyan
The egg was to become a chicken eventually unless the place was nuked or a snake had em. :rolleyes:

You are aware eggs have to be fertile to "become a chicken"?

A chicken kept in a battery farm has no interactions with a cockerel.. how can the egg be fertile?
Why should anyone have to justify it? If people don't like it, they can **** off, frankly.

It's their personal decision.
thejonsmith
You are aware eggs have to be fertile to "become a chicken"?

A chicken kept in a battery farm has no interactions with a cockerel.. how can the egg be fertile?

Ah got me there then again there are GM- tomato which have genes from another sources :rolleyes: What you say on that?
Reply 114
ibysaiyan
Ah got me there then again there are GM- tomato which have genes from another sources :rolleyes: What you say on that?

This;

"Today in the EU, all tomatoes found on the market, whether they're fresh or canned, are not genetically modified. Even the tomato that stayed red and firm after three weeks in the fridge isn't a GMO."

(http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/grocery_shopping/fruit_vegetables/15.genetically_modified_tomatoes.html)
thejonsmith
This;

"Today in the EU, all tomatoes found on the market, whether they're fresh or canned, are not genetically modified. Even the tomato that stayed red and firm after three weeks in the fridge isn't a GMO."

(http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/grocery_shopping/fruit_vegetables/15.genetically_modified_tomatoes.html)

Ah alright that clears things up.Thanks
thejonsmith
I'm not trying to question your right to abstain from eating meat, more that I wonder what causes people to feel this way in the first place. For the most part it's not wanting an animal to be killed or that they've been raised that way, but some people argue differently

And I find it hard to see how you can champion the life of animals such as cows, chickens, turkeys and sheep not to become food, yet be happy to eat a fish. A fish after all has the same feelings and nervous system.

Surely it's, by definition, an all or nothing stance?
As in - you're either against eating animals or you're not

i always wonder why people think its strange that some vegetarians eat fish, and yet no-one mentions vegetarians that wear leather? :confused:

and its not all or nothing. i just chose to not eat most animals but to eat fish. surely if a meat eater ate everything but (for example) not beef, surely they should eat it too? surely if you eat one animal, you should eat them all since they arent any different?
Reply 117
Funkymonkey21
i always wonder why people think its strange that some vegetarians eat fish, and yet no-one mentions vegetarians that wear leather? :confused:

and its not all or nothing. i just chose to not eat most animals but to eat fish. surely if a meat eater ate everything but (for example) not beef, surely they should eat it too? surely if you eat one animal, you should eat them all since they arent any different?

This makes no sense whatsoever.

It is all or nothing if you're a vegetarian and tell people it's because animals have feelings and emotions. Because if those are your reasons, how can you eat a fish?

The meat eater argument also makes no sense. A meat eater that doesn't eat beef just doesn't like the taste. It's not some warped moral stance where it's not ok to eat animals but it's ok to eat fish, because they don't quite make the cut
Reply 118
thejonsmith
I don't get vegetarianism - full stop.

So, the animal doesn't get eaten by you.

It gets eaten by someone else.

Also, where's the line between animals being sentient beings and becoming a fruitarian - where fruit and vegetables are living things, so pulling them up is "murdering" them.

If people object to the conditions the animals live in - there are organisations such as P.E.T.A who campaign for animal rights etc. If an animal isn't mistreated before it's death, I don't see what's so "wrong" about carnivorism.

Plus, I agree, you cannot be a pescetarian and still maintain your argument that eating an animal is morally wrong, because they're sentient beings. A fish has just as much right to be alive as a cow. We're not talking about eating intelligent animals such as dolphins either; cows, chickens and fish are all fairly low on the IQ scale. Pigs, however, are apparently moderately intelligent.

Fruit and veg WANT to be eaten, silly :p:

And people may be vegetarians for other reasons than that.
im vegetarian, i eat/drink eggs and milk, but I cant justify this.

Latest

Trending

Trending