The Student Room Group

i have missed 3 months of school, i have to catch up along with do my gcse revision

i cant cope, i was off for 3 months because i was seriously depressed, this isnt helping and i want to do the best i can but i cant concentrate , i cant take things in and ive missed so much.

what can i do , how did you revise for your gcses? i think my first one is in 20 something days!

i am seriously freaking.

i have gcses in:
history
psychology
sociology
english language
english literature
welsh

i already have my maths and science, but i need english literature and one more to get onto my course for college, and i was told not to have an attitude of ' oh i only need 4' because universities look at gcses because they are so competitive.

i am seriously stressed and depressed !
Reply 1
Dude, the last thing you need is to put yourself out of school again.

Trust me school bigs up GCSE'S but their a piece of piss.

Trust me i missed half the year because i broke my broke leg and then i revised only on the last night and i did great and im average.
Reply 2
1. Do a little at a time
2. Take breaks
3. Don't try and revise the whole syllabus in one night, it won't go in.
4. You will almost certainly have revision lessons in class as well as study time at home, so your teacher should make sure you've covered everything.
5. If you're stuck, ask teacher for help.
6. Don't Panic.
7. Practise exam technique and past papers so you are more confident with the setup of each exam.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Wow...three months of school. Thats a bit difficult to catch up, but you've just gotta try your best :smile: Spend more time at home than sleeping, wake up early, I mean...work hard during these two or so months and you'll have THE WHOLE SUMMER to play :smile:
Reply 4
ConfusedRazzledandy
i cant cope, i was off for 3 months because i was seriously depressed, this isnt helping and i want to do the best i can but i cant concentrate , i cant take things in and ive missed so much.

what can i do , how did you revise for your gcses? i think my first one is in 20 something days!

i am seriously freaking.

i have gcses in:
history
psychology
sociology
english language
english literature
welsh

i already have my maths and science, but i need english literature and one more to get onto my course for college, and i was told not to have an attitude of ' oh i only need 4' because universities look at gcses because they are so competitive.

Decide on some priorities related to what you want to study at college and do your very best in those.
It is competitive to get into the best Unis/popular courses but Universities will look mostly at your AS level results and A2 predictions. I know lot's of people without great GCSE's who have gone on to do well at Uni (and more than a few who have gone the other way :smile:. Having missed 3 months of school, you have a very good reason for less than stellar GCSE results that can be explained in your application reference if it's needed. So try not to worry about it, be positive about what you can achieve, do your best and you'll be fine. Good luck.
you gotta calm down.. 20 days is a lot of hours. Manage your time and organize everything... don't just study without organizing because it won't go in. look at exams and how the questions are asked.

Take a deep breath. Chocolate. Start.
i did like 1 hours revision for all my gcses and passed them all whooo!!

just get those cgp books their awesome cos they explain it really simply and its all you need to know cos schools tend to complicate it a bit (well mine did!!) http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/home.asp

might help :smile:
Yeah, I really recommend Cgp books, they saved my life in those exams, I really really suggest u invest in them.
I also missed 3 months of my GCSEs, although that was down to a hip injury that meant I couldn't walk.

The CGP books are very easy to understand and offer a great deal of supplementary detail to the stuff you need to know. I highly recommend them
Reply 9
GCSEs are nowhere near as hard as you will think beforehand. Especially those with coursework, get a good grade there and then in the exam you can still do badly and get like a C. But at the same time it is your own fault, what does a 15/16 year old really have to be depressed about? :P Apart from like if your mam died or something in which case depression would happen to most, but otherwise I don't get it. "Oooh my body's changing" No. Get out.
Reply 10
ThePossum
GCSEs are nowhere near as hard as you will think beforehand. Especially those with coursework, get a good grade there and then in the exam you can still do badly and get like a C. But at the same time it is your own fault, what does a 15/16 year old really have to be depressed about? :P Apart from like if your mam died or something in which case depression would happen to most, but otherwise I don't get it. "Oooh my body's changing" No. Get out.

Excuse me? This is extremely insensitive. Who are you to dictate what causes depression? You don't know anything about the OP's life, so stop making assumptions. Anyone can suffer from depression.

But back to the OP, first of all, try to calm down and not panic, because that won't help anything. Like others have said, tackle one subject at a time and give yourself breaks! Personally I say to myself, if I do this topic, then I can eat chocolate/sweets etc. Just have something to reward yourself with after you've done some work. Oh and your teachers are there to help you, so make sure you ask them if your unsure on anything! :smile:
I'm sorry you've been battling depression, I know it's a horrible thing and just ignore the people on here who don't understand.
Just think positive and stay calm :smile:
It will all be fine :smile:
Reply 11
dont worry man i felt similarly, i was in hospital for most of the third term of year 11 and 2bh my grades werent great (not bad either, As and Bs) but find a system that works for you and dont tell yourself youre behind because y'no half the year will just be starting outside of school lol ! chin up anyway if you put in the work 20 days youl sail through
Reply 12
Acromida
Excuse me? This is extremely insensitive. Who are you to dictate what causes depression? You don't know anything about the OP's life, so stop making assumptions. Anyone can suffer from depression.

But back to the OP, first of all, try to calm down and not panic, because that won't help anything. Like others have said, tackle one subject at a time and give yourself breaks! Personally I say to myself, if I do this topic, then I can eat chocolate/sweets etc. Just have something to reward yourself with after you've done some work. Oh and your teachers are there to help you, so make sure you ask them if your unsure on anything! :smile:
I'm sorry you've been battling depression, I know it's a horrible thing and just ignore the people on here who don't understand.
Just think positive and stay calm :smile:
It will all be fine :smile:

I was joking dude, I did offer some actual advice. Although I don't mean to dictate, your face causes depression. This again is a joke, I'm actually a nice chap so chill. :smile:

And seriously for your GCSEs you will be able to cruise them, they're not hard and very easy to blag. A bit of revision will go a long way too, like one or two grades possibly.
Reply 13
ThePossum
I was joking dude, I did offer some actual advice. Although I don't mean to dictate, your face causes depression. This again is a joke, I'm actually a nice chap so chill. :smile:

And seriously for your GCSEs you will be able to cruise them, they're not hard and very easy to blag. A bit of revision will go a long way too, like one or two grades possibly.

Hmm, alright :smile: But it didn't come across that way. I just didn't want the OP feeling worse than they already do.
Reply 14
Acromida
Hmm, alright :smile: But it didn't come across that way. I just didn't want the OP feeling worse than they already do.

I was going for harsh humour which can be funny or just look daft. :smile:
The OP will be fine, as long as they catch up they will breeze their GCSEs, which I'd expect to make them feel pretty good.
Original post by ConfusedRazzledandy

i am seriously freaking.

i have gcses in:
history
psychology
sociology
english language
english literature
welsh

I had an attendance of 49% due to an illness, the school were no help so I asked teachers what to revise and then I looked up online on websites and stuff and wrote them on little revision cards, I’d revise the night before fir that subject aswell one time I stayed up till 5 am revising chemistry, I ended up with good GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest