The Student Room Group

Are British University degrees valid when you go abroad?

I was wondering about this because I was living in spain before and I was just wondering whether a BSHons Degree in the UK is valid in other countries.

I visited queen mary's website and it says that graduating at queen mary's would give you a university of london degree which is valid outside the UK, so it's sort of implying that degrees taken in universities outside London will not be valid.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are valid. I think the QMU website probably just means a UoL degree is more recognised outside the UK, as in employers abroad will have heard of the university and might respect it more.
Reply 2
MrHappy_J
so it's sort of implying that degrees taken in universities outside London will not be valid.

It's true. A degree from cambridge is spat on outside of england.
Yes, the degree is valid wherever you go. Some universities will be more recognizable than others - either because the university itself is well known or the university has a place name in its title that is familiar to people outside of the UK.
Reply 4
I don't see why not :dontknow:
Reply 5
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up :smile:. I doubt that I'll ever go back to Spain but I was just wondering.
Reply 6
What about somewhere like Cardiff University? Would that be recognised by employers abroad?
Reply 7
No idea. But apparently A levels aren't valid in the EU. You need to have a Baccaleureat if you want to get a decent job outside the UK.

Anyway, I would have thought it's the degree that matters, not the university you went to.
Reply 8
definately valid in Arab countries, and are desired above almost any other country
I think it depends. Obviously, it is still a valid qualification/degree and looks good that you have done it.
But I live in Germany and I know that for a lot of jobs there, even though I have done a 4 year degree course, I will still have to do a sort of learning placement for 1-3 years there before getting a proper job. Probably. I'd rather not.
MrHappy_J
No idea. But apparently A levels aren't valid in the EU. You need to have a Baccaleureat if you want to get a decent job outside the UK

Who told you that? I have never heard anything about that
Reply 11
beefmaster
Who told you that? I have never heard anything about that

They told me when I was doing my ESO over there, that UK A levels aren't valid in Spain or anywhere in Europe. You need a "Batxillerato" qualification which is international.
Reply 12
MrHappy_J
They told me when I was doing my ESO over there, that UK A levels aren't valid in Spain or anywhere in Europe. You need a "Batxillerato" qualification which is international.

I'm pretty sure British degrees are valid in the EU though.
Reply 13
xSkyFire
I'm pretty sure British degrees are valid in the EU though.

Yeah British degrees may be valid but A levels are not.
MrHappy_J
No idea. But apparently A levels aren't valid in the EU. You need to have a Baccaleureat if you want to get a decent job outside the UK.

MrHappy_J

Wrong.

You can work outside the UK with A-levels. You just contact EUROPASS which is the EU's official organisation for providing equivalency information on educational qualifications and training programmes in and between EU member states.
Reply 15
MrHappy_J

How does that even make sense?

I'm at an international school in Portugal and I take A levels ...

Of course they're valid, you'd just have to prove your competence in the language of the country you're working in.
Reply 16
PercyChatsworth
Wrong on both counts.

You can work outside the UK with A-levels. You just contact EUROPASS which is the EU's official organisation for providing equivalency information on educational qualifications and training programmes in and between EU member states.

Well that's news to me. :eek:

Maybe my mother was just trying to scare me into staying with her in Spain.
Reply 17
Miss_Scarlet
I think it depends. Obviously, it is still a valid qualification/degree and looks good that you have done it.
But I live in Germany and I know that for a lot of jobs there, even though I have done a 4 year degree course, I will still have to do a sort of learning placement for 1-3 years there before getting a proper job. Probably. I'd rather not.

...and this differs from the UK (or most other developed countries) exactly how?

At least the subject of your degree is less important in the UK as it is in Germany.

-

As long as the UK keeps being a EU member country (who knows whether this will change in the near future, like, ehm, tomorrow), official education degrees are accepted EU-wide. I'm not aware of any exceptions for UK the major UK degrees. You shouldn't have any problem with Bachelor and Master degrees on a formal level - national bias does exist, of course. But this can even be an advantage (from a UK higher education perspective).
Reply 18
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't really given it much thought before but it seems to make sense.
Miss_Scarlet

Like being on a graduate scheme?

Latest

Trending

Trending