The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship after a degree

I was just wondering if anyone out there has managed to successfully get onto an apprenticeship after university. I know some people may see it as a step backwards but I have come across some interesting sounding apprenticeships and I think they would really useful to gain some more experience and get some more practical qualifications of a year or so. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of doing an apprenticeship either after university or as an older person i.e. outside the usual age range of 16-24?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
due to ageism laws alot of apprenticeships are open to 24+ now, however they could find any other excuse not to hire you when really its because you are older.

just contact the apprenticeship your interested in, be quick though as alot have already closed for starts in september.
Reply 3
sarahlousie
I was just wondering if anyone out there has managed to successfully get onto an apprenticeship after university. I know some people may see it as a step backwards but I have come across some interesting sounding apprenticeships and I think they would really useful to gain some more experience and get some more practical qualifications of a year or so. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of doing an apprenticeship either after university or as an older person i.e. outside the usual age range of 16-24?

Apprenticeships are a complete scam for so many reasons; johnboy1987 pointed out the obvious ageism (there is a reason they are targeted at young people and it is not to help them I assure you), but for one position at my local county council there was an explicit notice which said '[o]ur apprenticeships are open to all ages 16+, except those people who have already graduated with a degree or higher from University'.
Reply 4
evantej
Apprenticeships are a complete scam for so many reasons; johnboy1987 pointed out the obvious ageism (there is a reason they are targeted at young people and it is not to help them I assure you), but for one position at my local county council there was an explicit notice which said '[o]ur apprenticeships are open to all ages 16+, except those people who have already graduated with a degree or higher from University'.

Yeh I have seen a few advertised that say no degrees. How do you mean they are a scam?
Reply 5
sarahlousie
Yeh I have seen a few advertised that say no degrees. How do you mean they are a scam?

Apprenticeships are a scam for three reasons: they are low paid; they do not necessarily lead to employment; and they do not necessarily provide worthwhile skills. For example, I just spotted an apprenticeship which lasts 12-15 months* on a wage of £95 per week, which works out at £2.53 an hour. The qualification ('skill') the apprentice finishes with is a NVQ Level 2 Administration, Key Skills - Application of Number and Communication, Technical Certificate, but in order to apply they would need 'five GCSE's at Grades A - C or equivalent, including Mathematics and English'; that is, the apprentice finishes their low-paid apprenticeship with a qualification that is equivalent to one that they needed to even get onto the apprenticeship in the first place. In summary, it is a complete scam to get young people working in jobs (I repeat, jobs, there is in some cases absolutely no skill developed whatsoever; in the case I quoted it is essentially an admin/office job at the local council under the guise of 'business and administration') on less than minimum wage, and the fact that they do not even guarantee a job at the end of the training is an embarrassment.

I do not doubt that there are some genuine apprenticeships, learning skills that are necessary independent of ideological tampering (unsurprisingly, they are also the ones that pay normal wages...), but the scheme has been swamped with ridiculous placements to hide the true figure of youth unemployment.

* - The fact some apprenticeships do not have a defined duration is problematic in itself as it suggests there are no defined objectives to be met; that is, that there is either no skill for an apprentice to learn or such a basic skill which requires a variable programme length because the apprentice is normally unqualified to take the position.
Reply 6
evantej
Apprenticeships are a scam for three reasons: they are low paid; they do not necessarily lead to employment; and they do not necessarily provide worthwhile skills. For example, I just spotted an apprenticeship which lasts 12-15 months* on a wage of £95 per week, which works out at £2.53 an hour. The qualification ('skill') the apprentice finishes with is a NVQ Level 2 Administration, Key Skills - Application of Number and Communication, Technical Certificate, but in order to apply they would need 'five GCSE's at Grades A - C or equivalent, including Mathematics and English'; that is, the apprentice finishes their low-paid apprenticeship with a qualification that is equivalent to one that they needed to even get onto the apprenticeship in the first place. In summary, it is a complete scam to get young people working in jobs (I repeat, jobs, there is in some cases absolutely no skill developed whatsoever; in the case I quoted it is essentially an admin/office job at the local council under the guise of 'business and administration') on less than minimum wage, and the fact that they do not even guarantee a job at the end of the training is an embarrassment.

I do not doubt that there are some genuine apprenticeships, learning skills that are necessary independent of ideological tampering (unsurprisingly, they are also the ones that pay normal wages...), but the scheme has been swamped with ridiculous placements to hide the true figure of youth unemployment.

* - The fact some apprenticeships do not have a defined duration is problematic in itself as it suggests there are no defined objectives to be met; that is, that there is either no skill for an apprentice to learn or such a basic skill which requires a variable programme length because the apprentice is normally unqualified to take the position.

I see what you mean, I hadn't really thought of it like that. I just assumed that all provided some sort of worthwhile skill or qualification but I suppose lot's of the £95 a week office ones are just essentially cheap labour, getting some kid in to do all the crappy jobs. There are some good ones out there though, i've spotted a few that at least pay a decent wage of 12k a year.
Reply 7
I find unless the apprenticeship is with a large company then its not worth applying. The governement is paying company's to employ apprenticeships 16-19 just because of the huge nemployment in that age range and so if you are out of the range you may not even get considered. Plus with a large company you are more likely to achieve a better wage and offered a job at the end of your apprenticeship.

Other than that its like whats been said. An apprenticeship is just a low paid full-time job.
Reply 8
Hello,

I signed up to this website to inform you, the comments on this thread have been true and relevant but however should not discourage you from looking for an apprenticeship. I'm currently employed by a large company as an apprentice, the advert stated that people with degrees shouldn't apply as the apprenticeship offers a bachleors. The pay is good and is subject to annual rises and bonus's. The skills i've learnt and experience gained? Numerous, compared to a student graduating in my particular field which makes me highly employable. The reason i'm writing this is because i'm looking for another apprenticeship after this one as I enjoy working and learning at the same time. I understand that my specific situtation might be unique but you'll be able to spot an oppurtunity such as mine easily when searching. Good luck
How does this one grab you..?

You have to pay £16,000 up front before they will start your apprenticeship!!

http://www.britishgasacademy.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=54&tabcontent=requirements
Reply 10
Original post by sarahlousie

Original post by sarahlousie

I'm a science graduate and I managed to get an apprenticeship. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by R00
I'm a science graduate and I managed to get an apprenticeship. :smile:

What made you decide to do an apprenticeship after a degree?
Reply 12
Well I realised that I just wasn't interested in pursuing science anymore I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did.
I was working in a company on a good salary but I wasn't happy, then the apprenticeship in the accounts department arose and I was the best candidate. Apparently I wasn't the only one with a degree to apply! I'm a lot happier now; the only thing that I'm not too happy about is the salary! However, the long-term prospects get me excited enough to overlook that for now.

Latest

Trending

Trending