The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Lucky. I once had to play with lego as part of an assessment centre team building exercise. My hands were so sweaty that I couldn't even play with it correctly! Not my finest couple of days.
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by m:)ckel
Lucky. I once had to play with lego as part of an assessment centre team building exercise. My hands were so sweaty that I couldn't even play with it correctly! Not my finest couple of days.

Hi mockel! :smile:

That sounds like a terrible assessment centre task. What did it entail?
Today I built a castle and a cow.
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
Hi mockel! :smile:

That sounds like a terrible assessment centre task. What did it entail?
Today I built a castle and a cow.

What were the approximate dimensions of the castle?

The task was a little more involved in just making something out of lego, admittedly. Two groups of 6 were formed and placed in separate rooms with a box of lego and set of instructions. Each group was required to build a (fairly) stable bridge but they had to be identical. This was to be done by use of x number of conference calls and y number of face-to-face meetings (I forget the exact numbers, but it was possibly 3 of each) to propose and decide upon designs. The catch was that the two sets of lego and instructions were different. With regard to the lego, this meant the number of 2x4 blocks (say) were not the same, or there would be different numbers of each of the colours etc. As for the instructions, one set would say the height had to be at least 30cm, while the other specified the length to be at least 60cm. The assessors also decided to throw in added conditions half way through to see how we'd react. For example, blocks having to be built with alternating colours.
In the end a small test was carried out to see if the bridges could take sufficient weight. I think both did ok, but they didn't look much alike. It was all good fun really.

P.S. Hi! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
What were the approximate dimensions of the castle?

The task was a little more involved in just making something out of lego, admittedly. Two groups of 6 were formed and placed in separate rooms with a box of lego and set of instructions. Each group was required to build a (fairly) stable bridge but they had to be identical. This was to be done by use of x number of conference calls and y number of face-to-face meetings (I forget the exact numbers, but it was possibly 3 of each) to propose and decide upon designs. The catch was that the two sets of lego and instructions were different. With regard to the lego, this meant the number of 2x4 blocks (say) were not the same, or there would be different numbers of each of the colours etc. As for the instructions, one set might say the height had to be at least 30cm, while the length had to be at least 60cm. The assessors also decided to throw in an added condition half way through to see how we'd react. For example, blocks having to be built with alternating colours.
In the end a small test was carried out to see if the bridges could take sufficient weight. I think both did ok, but they didn't look very alike. It was all good fun really.

P.S. Hi! :smile:

That sounds insanely detailed and hardcore. I like to just play with lego.
The castle was not very big, it was about 5cm wide x 15cm long x 7cm high - there was not very much lego to go round, I thought I should let the kids have most of it. They built people and guns mostly.
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
That sounds insanely detailed and hardcore. I like to just play with lego.
The castle was not very big, it was about 5cm wide x 15cm long x 7cm high - there was not very much lego to go round, I thought I should let the kids have most of it. They built people and guns mostly.

Yeah, it lasted about 2 hours in total and was at the end of an intense two days of being closely watched in a variety of individual and group tasks. I'm so glad I don't have to do ACs anymore.

Kids are cool. Are you gonna have some? lol
Reply 3985
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
Playing with lego and plastercine and climbing on climbing frames for a job ftw! :awesome:

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." :angry:

I take back my earlier annoyance at college. :h:
Yeah, it lasted about 2 hours in total and was at the end of an intense two days of being closely watched in a variety of individual and group tasks. I'm so glad I don't have to do ACs anymore.

Kids are cool. Are you gonna have some? lol

At the moment I am at the stage when they are much cooler when you can leave them at 2.45pm and at weekends :yy:

Also, childbirth horrifies me.
Original post by Aula
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." :angry:

I take back my earlier annoyance at college. :h:

What's happened that is good?
Reply 3988
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
What's happened that is good?

Oh, I thought I was going to have to move rooms over Easter, which could have been interesting since I leave on Saturday, but now I don't, so it's okay.
Original post by Becca

Original post by Becca
At the moment I am at the stage when they are much cooler when you can leave them at 2.45pm and at weekends :yy:

Also, childbirth horrifies me.

What do they call you in class?
What do they call you in class?

Rebecca! It's all first names in Norwegian schools, which I find a bit bizarre but I don't mind it.
Reply 3991
I think I receive some sort of bursary from the uni, in the last few weeks of last term I got £300 from the uni. I had a letter about it but now cant find it in my state of a room, I was wondering when im supposed to get this? I havent got it yet but ive maxed out two overdrafts this term and yeah, im going home in the next few days and at this rate ill just be sitting in my house not being able to feed my addictions of tobacco and maybe alcohol :P

EDIT - Turns out I got it in November and then January, but now I wont until April!? :zomg: im ****ed
(edited 13 years ago)
What seat shall I take?
Original post by chidona
What seat shall I take?

Bit off-topic but I see you're doing a PGCE in maths after an economics degree. I thought there was a rule that you had to do 50% of your degree in the subject you wanted to teach? I was thinking about applying for teach first but I won't have 50% of my modules in a NC subject, but after seeing your sig I'm guessing there are exceptions for teaching in general?
Housemate has insisted I put his nationality down as "Londoner" on the Census :p:
Original post by angelmxxx
Bit off-topic but I see you're doing a PGCE in maths after an economics degree. I thought there was a rule that you had to do 50% of your degree in the subject you wanted to teach? I was thinking about applying for teach first but I won't have 50% of my modules in a NC subject, but after seeing your sig I'm guessing there are exceptions for teaching in general?

I've got really strong maths + F.Maths A-levels and I do a fair amount of mathematically-based modules, so it wasn't a huge problem. It would've been possible for them to make an offer based on me taking a 6month course in maths however, and they do do that if they think your maths is lacking.

Depends on the uni, and the 50% is a rule of thumb; they consider each applicant holistically.
I've just seen three UFOs from my bedroom window :awesome:

I saw a glowing, red light and it caught my attention. But I assumed it was a plane (even though we're a fair distance from international airports). I soon forgot about it and, a little while later, looked out again by chance and there were three lights. The highest one was stationary and progressively dimmed until it was gone. The other two were further down the horizon and to the right. They began moving towards where the highest one was. Then they dimmed too.

No plane or helicopter. I can only think they were flares or Chinese lanterns. But their movement was strange.
Original post by River85
Housemate has insisted I put his nationality down as "Londoner" on the Census :p:

Remember to state your religion as Jedi...
Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Remember to state your religion as Jedi...

That's oooooooooold :p: It's not 2001.

Wiccan FTW!

It was Aaron who insisted on Londoner. Separatist. My other housemate was telling me of people stating "Nortumbrian" (sic) Muppets forgot the "h" :facepalm:
religion...interesting question for me. I decided to put no religion given I'm no longer a practising Catholic like I used to be, but could've put Christian. Also, what should you put for last year's most common address? I put it as college but another housemate put it as home?

Friend I'm staying with apparently threw away her census and is now talking to her mum about it on the phone >____>
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest