The Student Room Group

are you actually THAT interested in the subject youre going to study?

Poll

Do you like the subject you are going to apply for at uni?

Do you know exactly what you want to do and are you passionate about it, or are you applying for a course just because you are good at it, or to go to a good uni, or just for the sake of getting an easy degree? What do you truly want to study?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would you pay 30 big ones to do something that you didn't like?
Reply 2
Yes, I love geography :smile:
Reply 3
Yes indeedy.
Reply 4
Yes absolutely. It's kinda stupid to waste money and time doing a subject you hate unless the only subject you like is surf studies or something.
Reply 5
Yeah otherwise I wouldn't do it
Reply 6
Yes - I'm genuinely passionate.
Yes - Paramedic Science <3 :biggrin:
Reply 8
I voted that it's alright since I don't love the subject without fault. There are aspects of Economics which I dislike greatly, whereas there are aspects I enjoy mildly, and then there are aspects which I love thoroughly. At the end of the day, though, the degree will consist of each and every aspect, so I'm bound to do that which I'm not keen on.

Specifically in regards to Economics, I love both macroeconomics and econometrics, but passionately hate microeconomics. The reality is that it's impossible to get away from microeconomics.
Yes. I choose to study a subject that I enjoy more than the one I would do better at, actually.
Reply 10
I do physics. I like it, but it's not my 'passion'. I could just as happily study maths, chemistry or even computer science.

Wesssty
Would you pay 30 big ones to do something that you didn't like?

Tefhel
Yes absolutely. It's kinda stupid to waste money and time doing a subject you hate unless the only subject you like is surf studies or something.

Not really: a degree like (for example) a maths degree from Oxford boosts your CV a tremendous amount, and is well worth the "investment" of the cost of your degree - both financial and time investments.

Going to university also gives you many great experiences, most of which aren't related to your course.

Of course, studying something you have a passion for helps, but I don't think it's necessarily "stupid" or "wasteful" to study something else.
Reply 11
Very much so.
Reply 12
i'm not sure i can deal with another 3 years of 'spot the main verb,' I'll have to wait and see.
i'm doing english. and i do enjoy it most times, i'm good at it. but people tell me it's pointless, and sometimes i feel that criticising a text is pointless. this makes me work less at it, and now i'm a bit worried wondering where this degree will get me... post grad it is... ?
I'm going to be doing English Studies with European Studies, and I've always adored English! I've always liked to write and analyze poems and whatnot so I figured I'd continue doing that. Also literature is a less scientific way of analyzing everything. :biggrin:

European Studies? Just applied for that on a whim. 'Caaaaauuuse that's how I roll. It seemed pretty varied so.. why not! :biggrin:
I'm a Classicist. Prior to university I was absolutely fascinated by most aspects of it, having never been exposed to it in a formal manner I voraciously ate up anything I might find on any of it's multi facets.

Having completed two years of it...the love has dulled somewhat, my classmates, my lecturers....course structure...etc etc have had a significant effect in lessening the lustre. I find it really, really, hard to get interested or care about it anymore. Sitting here I can see why some module or another might be interesting from an abstract point of view, but find it very hard to empathise.
No, I don't 'love' Politics. I like it, I enjoy aspects of it, I don't 'love' it. I don't know why I chose it, should have done Social Anthropology or something.
Reply 17
There's no way in hell I'd swap!
Can't stand medicine really.

Never found a subject that really grabbed me though.
No way. Medicine bores me, I'm just doing it for four key things- Chicks, money, power and chicks.

Latest

Trending

Trending