The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
LittleMissCurious
Well the thing is, I didn't get into this grammar school originally - I'm on the waiting list, which means that if I want to get in I have to have 5 or more A*s, but to beat off the other competition I'll probably need straight A*s. It's Colchester Royal Grammar School. The people who got in originally only need 3 As and 2 Bs.

trust me, you don't need 11 A*s :rolleyes:
Try and get the best grades you can but I wouldn't be surprised if they accept you if you get 7/8 A*s. If you know anyone in the sixth form then ask what the new pupils got for GCSEs as a good indicator.
Reply 41
VCR
Aye, I'm not worried about the long term consequences. My issue is that I'll get a lot of **** from both my school and parents even if I get 5 A*s & 5 As, which I know is an exceptionally high set of grades by national standards.

Aha, get used to it, I got 7 A*'s at GCSE and sat them the week after I got of hospital and my Mum's response was "How did you get an A in RS, you're a Christian for gods sake, you should've worked harder!"

When your parents expect it from you anything less than the highest is failure. At the end of the day you've just gotta be proud of yourself, I couldn't give a **** what my Mum thinks about my grades.
My god you're obsessed with CRGS
Reply 43
LittleMissCurious
I'm doing 9 GCSEs, which is lot less than some people I know. I guess I'm lucky, and it really should be easier for me to get the A*s. Thanks for your help :smile:

no problem, i wish you the best of luck! :yep:
Reply 44
A number of external day students (50) are admitted into Year 12 each year. Up to 15 places are reserved for boarders each year. Offers of places are made subject to satisfactory performance at GCSE or equivalent examination. The minimum grade requirement for entry into the Sixth Form is AAABB; A*/A grades are expected in the subjects to be studied at A-level. This is also the requirement for internal students.

Taken from the Colchester Grammar Website RE: 6th Form?
Reply 45
I WANT LOADS OF A*'S!
Got RE exam tomorrow, but the thing is I haven't revised for any subjects properly and I see loads of people who want same grades as me revising mad..
I HATE THIS!
We need more time!
:/
Bright
I WANT LOADS OF A*'S!
Got RE exam tomorrow, but the thing is I haven't revised for any subjects properly and I see loads of people who want same grades as me revising mad..
I HATE THIS!
We need more time!
:/

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine :console: Just don't panic! Good luck :smile:
Reply 47
Haha merci! :smile:
English Literature -I like but not sure.. I want A*!(hopefully-I got A in mocks and don't know how good my courseworks were)
English Language -(mmm less than Lit but hopefully an A if not the only B I want to get.. got B in mocks and coursework is Bish Aish :frown:)
Maths - I likeeee! Hopefully an A*
Biology - done and dusted- got A* but final grade depends on c/w which was A*
Chemistry - A* done et dusted good coursework etc :biggrin:
Physics - 100% for first exam 100% for c/w just final unit left-hopefully A* :smile:
French - Listening I think was A*, coursework A*, 50% left.. :/
Geography - :s-smilie: I want A* but I havent revised and c/w I think was A-should have been A* if not fone up during moderation :mad:
Drama - All depends on final piece which is ON FRIDAY next week, predicted A want A*
Bright
Haha merci! :smile:
English Literature -I like but not sure.. I want A*!(hopefully-I got A in mocks and don't know how good my courseworks were)
English Language -(mmm less than Lit but hopefully an A if not the only B I want to get.. got B in mocks and coursework is Bish Aish :frown:)
Maths - I likeeee! Hopefully an A*
Biology - done and dusted- got A* but final grade depends on c/w which was A*
Chemistry - A* done et dusted good coursework etc :biggrin:
Physics - 100% for first exam 100% for c/w just final unit left-hopefully A* :smile:
French - Listening I think was A*, coursework A*, 50% left.. :/
Geography - :s-smilie: I want A* but I havent revised and c/w I think was A-should have been A* if not fone up during moderation :mad:
Drama - All depends on final piece which is ON FRIDAY next week, predicted A want A*

How did it go? :smile:
I'm sure you'll get excellent grades in all your subjects! Believe in yourself, and good luck :smile:

x
Reply 49
hmmm... for most of your subjects I would suggest looking at past papers, but I'll break it up into individual topics to, just to be helpful :smile:

English Lit/Lang - I did English lit within 1 year (and got an A*) and didn't get the option to do English lang as we did AS English instead. However, I would suggest if you are writing about poems to know your notes and with books to know the key events. For descriptive writing, just swallow a thesauras and try to think outside of the box.

Maths: I also did this within in a year and got an A, mainly because I hate 3D trig :s-smilie: However, just do a ton of practice papers and exercises on any aspects of the course you are not sure of.

Biology/Chemistry/Physics: I did all these together (science and then additional), and I would suggest you do past papers as well as buy the revision guides. The ones by CPG are really good if you can find the one for your course...

French/German: For orals, I just type them out on the computer over and over again and then get my sister or someone to help me - also works with the writing side. For reading, you can try reading some foreign texts or the French/German side of everyday products like shampoo or toothpaste (I always do this). For listening, you can access some French/German videos on youtube or the BBC have some quite good resources. As a general note, label objects in your house in French/German using sticky notes.

Geography: I love geography, my favourite subject by far. My best advice is practice papers (again), but also to do posters on case studies and put them around your room. It can also be helpful to watch for interesting things on the news and incorporate that into the exam, but it is really necessary. Also, look at different textbooks for the course - we use the Edexcel old textbooks, but there is some extra, useful information in the new textbooks.

Drama: I think you're doing a different exam board to me as I'm doing AQA, which is pretty easy - you get to take notes in with you! But if you have a set text, just know the main events and the characters really well.

Hope that helps and good luck with your exams and your sixth-form offer :smile:
sambo_93
hmmm... for most of your subjects I would suggest looking at past papers, but I'll break it up into individual topics to, just to be helpful :smile:

English Lit/Lang - I did English lit within 1 year (and got an A*) and didn't get the option to do English lang as we did AS English instead. However, I would suggest if you are writing about poems to know your notes and with books to know the key events. For descriptive writing, just swallow a thesauras and try to think outside of the box.

Maths: I also did this within in a year and got an A, mainly because I hate 3D trig :s-smilie: However, just do a ton of practice papers and exercises on any aspects of the course you are not sure of.

Biology/Chemistry/Physics: I did all these together (science and then additional), and I would suggest you do past papers as well as buy the revision guides. The ones by CPG are really good if you can find the one for your course...

French/German: For orals, I just type them out on the computer over and over again and then get my sister or someone to help me - also works with the writing side. For reading, you can try reading some foreign texts or the French/German side of everyday products like shampoo or toothpaste (I always do this). For listening, you can access some French/German videos on youtube or the BBC have some quite good resources. As a general note, label objects in your house in French/German using sticky notes.

Geography: I love geography, my favourite subject by far. My best advice is practice papers (again), but also to do posters on case studies and put them around your room. It can also be helpful to watch for interesting things on the news and incorporate that into the exam, but it is really necessary. Also, look at different textbooks for the course - we use the Edexcel old textbooks, but there is some extra, useful information in the new textbooks.

Drama: I think you're doing a different exam board to me as I'm doing AQA, which is pretty easy - you get to take notes in with you! But if you have a set text, just know the main events and the characters really well.

Hope that helps and good luck with your exams and your sixth-form offer :smile:

Thank you so, so much!! I really appreciate that - very helpful! :smile:

Thank you!

x
pws2501
I remember when I did Drama GCSE under Edexcel, I was told the percentage needed to get an A* overall was 97% :eek3:

It might be different for you, but the percentage I got in Drama would have equalled to an A* in other subjects, and I only just scraped an A :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I've been told too. My results don't come back til August, and I wanted straight A*s too, but I'm nervous about Drama. Haven't lost any marks on coursework, so there still may be hope.

I make notes for everything, learn everything off by heart, and do practice papers. For subjects like English, write practice essays and email them to your teachers way ahead of time so that they can mark them and give you feedback.
LittleMissCurious
I want, and NEED straight A*s, cos the competition for the grammar school I want to go to is tough. How can I go about achieving this? Any advice? Revision methods? Look at my sig for the subjects I'm doing. Thanks! :smile:

What grammar school are you trying to get into? I live relatively close to Colchester myself.
LittleMissCurious
I want, and NEED straight A*s, cos the competition for the grammar school I want to go to is tough. How can I go about achieving this? Any advice? Revision methods? Look at my sig for the subjects I'm doing. Thanks! :smile:

I got news for you, you're most likely not going to get straight A*'s :smile:
matt_price93
What grammar school are you trying to get into? I live relatively close to Colchester myself.

Colchester Royal Grammar School. I didn't get in originally, I got put on the waiting list, so that means I have to get 5 or more A*s to get in, but as the competition is going to be fierce, I practically need straight A*s.
Good luck!
matt_price93
Good luck!

Thank you! :smile:
Just do loads of cramming 2 days b4 each exam and wake up 2 hours early on the day of the exam for loads more cramming. It worked for me.
Just thought i'd say, i got accepted by CRGS and my grades are not going to be anything as high as that :/
Tired_and_Hungry
Just thought i'd say, i got accepted by CRGS and my grades are not going to be anything as high as that :/

:eek: What school do you go to? And what are your predicted grades?

Latest